Home Panhandle General Fishing & The Outdoors

I'm Off the Injured List Again

I'm a frequent fisherman out of Panama City, usually once or twice a week. I had some medical issues that I had been putting off and they finally started affecting my fishing to the point that it hurt more than it was fun, so I decided to get everything fixed starting in Jan 2014. My right hand was getting numb in about 30 minutes of holding a rod. The Doctor thought it was carpal tunnel, after testing it turned out to be 20% carpal tunnel and 80% cupil tunnel (elbow pinched nerve). Had that surgery and it worked. Next up was minor, had right eye cataract fixed, only about a week down time for that. Next up was implant to replace the metacarpal bone in my left hand. That was a little longer recovery, but at least I can use my left thumb again. Anyway tried to work in a couple of fishing trips and ended up running the boat while passengers fished. At last about six weeks ago decided that I was sufficiently repaired to start fishing and other fun stuff. Bought a 10' long extra wide Jon boat and a 2 1/2 Suzuki four stroke so I could just load it in my pickup and drop in almost anywhere. This was after previously going about three miles in my Kayak and then a 20MPH wind came up and I had to paddle for about three hours to get back to my launching point. When I did get back and was laying out on the sand for about 30 minutes after dark thinking that I would never again get in that situation again I came up with the Jon boat and small motor plan. Well I launched the JON boat about five or six weeks ago and when I got back to the launch decided to put it back on the truck without taking the 29 pound motor off. With the motor on it was a pretty heavy load and I'm pretty stubborn/stupid on occasion so after a lot of straining/struggling I got it loaded. About three days later my groin area started burning and if I sat down or lay down the pain would go away. I put up with that for about two weeks by convincing myself that it was a groin pull. Finally went to the Doctor who immediately told me that I had a inlingual hernia that while it wasn't an emergency needed to be repaired before my intestines dropped through the tear in my abdomen and strangulated which is a life threatening condition. I had the surgery 15 days ago and this morning was pronounced ready to resume normal activities. Meanwhile my fishing buddies have been calling almost daily with great rubbing it in fishing reports. The last seven months have been the least active and the least fishing for me in over 30 years. I'm not even sure my boat will start. Now I'm going to try to make up for lost time. Understand that this has been about the best King Mackeral season for about 20 years and that the Mangrove Snapper have been/are eating it up. I'm going to try very hard to stay healthy and to do things smarter not harder. Unfortunately as my wife keeps pointing out getting older has consequences.

See You on the Water
FLCoyote

Replies

• LilOrangeLilOrange Posts: 1,210 Officer
    Holy smokes, man......you have been put through the ringer. Glad everything turned out ok. Look at it this way, you should be good to go for a while. Nothing like a good tune-up!! LOL!!

Welcome back. Now get to fishing!!!

Livin' the Dream !