SI Offshore Diving

We cleared the inlet at 0730 ish and headed east for the 90' reef to do 3 drops with some freediving mixed in-between tanks.
nyvabemy.jpg
sebeva3y.jpg

First spot not marking much on the sounder but being a grouper/lobster spot and the commercial king boys all around, I had no worries.
aqa7usa4.jpg

Two of my buddies dropped down I jumped in with a float line to try and get lucky with a king. Well I wasn't able to make any shots on them; the kings were very skittish and the bulls were very interested in what I was doing. We had 4 bulls that were hanging around and one big bull that had some Cobia following him. That was a failed attempted to stick one unfortunately. My buddies on scuba came up and said there wasn't much going on no bugs but had a couple mangos and sheepheads on the stringers. We picked up and moved on in shallow to a ledge in hopes of less sharky waters, it was my turn to tank up and drop down! Big lion fish every 10 feet along the ledge I built a homemaker zookeeper yesterday cause they are so plentiful and tasty!

y8u8una5.jpg

I ended up shooting 2 lions, 4 sheephead and a very nice gray! He was heading away I took the shot and he rolled over stoned! My personal best!

e2y7usys.jpg
7y9y5a4e.jpg

On my ascent approximately 15' off the top of the ledge I was greeted by a couple AJs 30-40# spear still in the head on my grouper so I wasn't able to stick one but I was very happy with the gray!

There was a decent south current on the bottom on the top not much of a current top to bottom viz in 60', 90' was 50' of viz on the top and the bottom was 10'viz at best.
IMG_1519.jpg

Replies

• thaythay Posts: 77 Greenhorn
    We were probably close to you as the king boats were all over us in 90' NE of Sebastian Sat. The egg to keeper ratio was 4 to 1 but we
    still ended up with quit a few bugs. Lots of big mango and some nice grouper on the larger reefs in 100'. Great vis and little current, and
    72-75 degrees on the bottom.
  • Triple Threat 33TTriple Threat 33T Posts: 18,669 Admin
    Awesome report. Glad the Bulls didn't show any more interest in you than what they did.

We actually had a GW follow a King to the boat several weeks ago while Snapper fishing. I think I'll stick to shallow water Keys diving. :grin Although even then, I've seen some big Bulls and and small Tigers while diving around Bahia Honda. Seen some very big Hammerheads while tarpon fishing there too.

By the way, I'm copying this report to our Divers Forum as well.
    "Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen."
  • Kapt.HookKapt.Hook Posts: 431 Deckhand
    We were out there on Friday pretty much straight out. I was thinking about going to the NE stuff after the first drop. Last month on the NE stuff I saw quite a few big bugs 5lb+. My buddy was able to snag a little bug just over legal size witch I was surprised he was so small for a Sebastian bug.

The big bull with the Cobia on him at first looked like a GW cause he was so much darker then the little ones.
    IMG_1519.jpg
  • inxanthinxanth Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    thanks for the report nice to get dive report in here!
  • SouthJettySouthJetty Posts: 588 Officer
    nice fish and pics....
    You shoulda been here yesterday.
  • sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,751 Captain
    Nice report & pics. Like your ride.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
  • bighardeybighardey Posts: 418 Deckhand
    Super report and nice job on the Grouper, that's a nice one!!
  • dukhuntr1991dukhuntr1991 Posts: 305 Deckhand
    I dove NE of ft pierce Saturday and had similar conditions. Poor
    Viz in 90 and awesome viz in 60-70. Grabbed 5 bugs and shot a couple big mangroves, trigs, and lost a nice cobe.
    Thanks guys! Sorry they are far and few between. I'll try and post more often!
    IMG_1519.jpg
  • KeystrokeKeystroke Posts: 91 Deckhand
    Nice gag. Congrats!

Those dang lion fish are thick this year. It seems to me there are like 10 times as many as last year. Really bothers me. I hope our reefs aren't damaged by them??
    Capt. Randy Lang
    Sebastian Gypsy Fishing Charters
    Inshore and Offshore Charters from Sebastian
    http://sebastianfishingcharter.com
    The areas I see them have a wide variety of life and it's very plentiful. The lions I shot didn't have anything in their bellies..
    IMG_1519.jpg