Rats scrambling to leave the ship? -- Dow Plunges 317 Points, Wipes Out 2014 Gains

Baits OutBaits Out Posts: 12,331 AG

A southeast Florida laid back beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor who lives on island time. 

Replies

• phlatsphilphlatsphil Posts: 14,632 AG
    Rats scrambling to leave the ship?

What does that even mean?

Why does it appear you are elated by a 1% drop in the stock market?

Is there a precedence in this decline?
  • LonghaulLonghaul Posts: 1,745 Officer
    Boys the FED has booste the economy by injecting 85 billion a months sine the stimulas was envoked. Now, it has to stop soon or inflation will get ahold of us worse than it has now. When the stimulus stops, ya best have a place to move your stocks cause the sheet is going to hit the fan like never before.
  • CatBoxCatBox Posts: 3,709 Captain
    Longhaul wrote: »
    Boys the FED has booste the economy by injecting 85 billion a months sine the stimulas was envoked. Now, it has to stop soon or inflation will get ahold of us worse than it has now. When the stimulus stops, ya best have a place to move your stocks cause the sheet is going to hit the fan like never before.

Maybe, but who here is smart enough to time the market... :shrug
  • JaxNoleJaxNole Posts: 1,705 Captain
    This is just market correction and the effects of the financial turmoil in Argentina. This was forecasted to occur in the second half of the year by many analysts.
  • snooknomoresnooknomore Posts: 708 Officer
    we have had a good 5 year run, there should be no complaining, stocks can be bought and Sold.
  • mikevmikev Posts: 10,822 AG
    I've said a million times already. If you're diversified, you're OK. It's that simple.
    "The only people that tell you it can't be done are the people who haven't done it themselves."
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    JaxNole wrote: »
    This is just market correction and the effects of the financial turmoil in Argentina. This was forecasted to occur in the second half of the year by many analysts.

Hedge funds are suing Argentina.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • NewberryJeffNewberryJeff Posts: 7,425 Admiral
    Longhaul wrote: »

We'll be able to attenuate QE losses by starting a new cold war and arms race with Russia :)
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,877 Admiral
    phlatsphil wrote: »
    What does that even mean?

Why does it appear you are elated by a 1% drop in the stock market?

How do you come up with that over a half sentence . :rolleyes
    Finfinder wrote: »

A title of "Dow Plunges 317 Points, Wipes Out 2014 Gains" would have been sufficient. His editorial lead-in implies his elation, as if....
  • Hickory DogHickory Dog Posts: 5,047 Officer
    Finfinder wrote: »

In Phil's defense, with BO you have to rely on the thread title because everything else is cut and paste.
  • Baits OutBaits Out Posts: 12,331 AG
    In Phil's defense, with BO you have to rely on the thread title because everything else is cut and paste.

Many here love to bray and see their voice in print, but have still not learned:

When their mouth opens, their eyes and ears cease to function.

A southeast Florida laid back beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor who lives on island time. 
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,685 AG
    Baits Out wrote: »
    Many here love to bray and see their voice in print, but have still not learned:

Vote for the other candidate
  • Hickory DogHickory Dog Posts: 5,047 Officer

Sorry.
    I did give you too much credit. You didn't even bother to c&p this one - it is just a link.

It's YOUR thread and YOUR thread title. Were you braying with the lead-in of "Rats scrambling to leave the ship"?
  • nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,650 Admin
    How about this headline?
    S & P 500 drops 2% in minor correction, still up 6% for the year.

BTW Baits, what does your money manger son have to say about yesterday's action?
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!
    nuevowavo wrote: »
    How about this headline?
    S & P 500 drops 2% in minor correction, still up 6% for the year.

BTW Baits, what does your money manger son have to say about yesterday's action?

No idea.

He is very long run and so far ahead of me with the information he is privy to;
    I don't ask and we rarely talk about such things.

Only important thing is that the (small) family accounts are doing very well.

• dstockwelldstockwell Posts: 13,799 AG
    Dow Plunges 317 Points, Wipes Out 2014 Gains
    It is not the responsibility of the United States to solve the problems of other countries.
  • MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
    HUGE buying opportunity!
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
    He is very long run and so far ahead of me with the information he is privy to;
    I don't ask and we rarely talk about such things.

So, basically, the smart guy in the family realizes that small adjustments like yesterday's are meaningless in the long run, while the less informed guy asks if "the rats are scrambling to leave the ship".

Seems like your post had less to do with actual economic and financial conditions, and more reflective of your political spin on the news.
    nuevowavo wrote: »
    So, basically, the smart guy in the family realizes that small adjustments like yesterday's are meaningless in the long run, while the less informed guy asks if "the rats are scrambling to leave the ship".

Seems like your post had less to do with actual economic and financial conditions, and more reflective of your political spin on the news.

Whatever you want to believe.

Enjoy!

• Finger MulletFinger Mullet Posts: 3,852 Officer
    Comical thread

Lets see here ytd my s&p 500 index fund is at 5.43% including the devastating correction :grin

One year annualized return 24.12%
    Three year annualized return 16.08%
    Five year annualized return 18.33%

Oh good lord, I should pull a Grady and cash out :willynilly
    Comical thread

Lets see here ytd my s&p 500 index fund is at 5.43% including the devastating correction :grin

Run for your life!! The stock market never did this before!
    Whatever you want to believe.

I believe that you've never posted good news about the economy or the markets.
  • sEEkErsEEkEr Posts: 2,842 Officer
    Comical thread

Yepper....