Scary kayaking

JRRJRR Posts: 32 Deckhand
took my son to do a little fishing late today. we when to War Memorial park (Bay Pines) we turn to the south just about 1/2 mile from the rump 100ft from the mangroves the water was only about 5ft deep well something huge came out of the water but this think was huge it when up blow air like a wale this think was about 2 feet from us i felt the warm air on my hands when it blow it when up and down about 3 time it made a big wave that was more like a water turbulence that a wave it was huge it took about 2 minutes for the water to come down it made a circle that was about 40 ft long it was black with some whitish mark. any idea of what could that be?

honestly a was scare, and it takes a lot to scare me. my son was silence for a bout 2 to 3 minutes he just turn white and normally nothing scare this kid.

Replies

• Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
    Manatee??
    Need a little time off...For Bad Behavior....

2014 Egret 2011 /Yamaha 250 SHO - sold
    2019 Pathfinder 2500 hybrid 350 Verado
  • YaknMikeYaknMike Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    Maybe a **** Whale? They've been found in and near Tampa Bay before.
  • ZEUSFLZEUSFL Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    40 long has to be a whale. Even a whale shark is not that long. If was a whale shark is inoffensive.
  • ZEUSFLZEUSFL Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    The weird think is at 5 feet deep...
  • JRRJRR Posts: 32 Deckhand
    no the animal was not 40ft long the circle in the water that it left was about 40ft long
    Manatee??
    does manatee blows air?
    ZEUSFL wrote: »
    The weird think is at 5 feet deep...
    I know i have my deep finder on it was right at 5ft
  • Poseidon10/31Poseidon10/31 Posts: 936 Officer
    It was a dugong for sure
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EdwardHBLWEdwardHBLW Posts: 58 Deckhand
    Sounds like a manatee to me... I've had em do that under my yak and **** made me crap myself when it happened!
    2012 Hobie Outback
  • SkunkLifeSkunkLife Posts: 545 Officer
    Bloody dugong mate!!!
    Lowbrow Sportsman - "Socially inept since 1985"
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    EdwardHBLW wrote: »
    Sounds like a manatee to me... I've had em do that under my yak and **** made me crap myself when it happened!

One almost flipped my son years ago
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
    JRR wrote: »
    does manatee blows air?

Yes. Makes a loud vacuum sound when they surface. Huge nostrils. Things get huge. Up to 9 ft long and over a thousand lbs. In that depth, most likely your demon in the water. Pretty cool to watch them.
    Need a little time off...For Bad Behavior....

2014 Egret 2011 /Yamaha 250 SHO - sold
    2019 Pathfinder 2500 hybrid 350 Verado
  • GitchaPullGitchaPull Posts: 345 Officer
    JRR wrote: »
    took my son to do a little fishing late today. we when to War Memorial park (Bay Pines) we turn to the south just about 1/2 mile from the rump 100ft from the mangroves the water was only about 5ft deep well something huge came out of the water but this think was huge it when up blow air like a wale this think was about 2 feet from us i felt the warm air on my hands when it blow it when up and down about 3 time it made a big wave that was more like a water turbulence that a wave it was huge it took about 2 minutes for the water to come down it made a circle that was about 40 ft long it was black with some whitish mark. any idea of what could that be?

honestly a was scare, and it takes a lot to scare me. my son was silence for a bout 2 to 3 minutes he just turn white and normally nothing scare this kid.

What?? Can someone translate this to english??
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,330 Moderator
    Sure it wasnt a big dolphin (porpoise)? they occasionally get the drop on me when I'm trout fishing and scare the begeesus outta me. Did you notice a dorsal fin of any kind?
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • Procraft1750Procraft1750 Posts: 46 Deckhand
    Killer Whale your lucky to be alive IMO
  • cseng123cseng123 Posts: 365 Deckhand
    jcanracer wrote: »
    Sure it wasnt a big dolphin (porpoise)? they occasionally get the drop on me when I'm trout fishing and scare the begeesus outta me. Did you notice a dorsal fin of any kind?

X2. Porpoises will go crazy chasing after some mullet or whatever fish they want to catch. They make crazy wakes and it would explain the air out of the blowhole noise. They really do scare the crap out of me sometimes when im wading.
  • SportsFanSportsFan Posts: 152 Deckhand
    SkunkLife wrote: »
    Bloody dugong mate!!!
    Not sure what a Dugong is, but I think that's what it was too.
    image-logo.png
  • mapachemapache Posts: 262 Officer
    From the size of it, probably a Steller's sea cow.
  • JoeBCJoeBC Posts: 608 Officer
    mapache wrote: »
    From the size of it, probably a Steller's sea cow.

Those were sure tasty while they lasted.
    GitchaPull wrote: »
    What?? Can someone translate this to english??

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all Jerk
  • summer dazesummer daze Posts: 883 Officer
    I'm guessing Manatee. Yes, they blow air and when u spook them they come alive and go from 0-60 in seconds flat. Had one come up from under me once, lift me out of the water and then soaked me and flooded my yak. Scared the sheet out of me, I thought I was being attacked. When it was over my buddy was laughing his butt off. Now I look for them and try to avoid em if I can.
    jgocnk.jpg
    Tight Lines..
  • krashkrash Posts: 634 Officer
    drug smugglers in a submarine
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • WiredToExploreWiredToExplore Posts: 42 Deckhand
    Saw some crazy splashing that didn't look like dolphins rounding up bait fish so I went over to explore. The crazy slashing died down and I was only able to catch some weak splashes before I realized it was two manatee....wrestling. lol

[video=vimeo;102416734]
  • kayakfrankkayakfrank Posts: 791 Officer
    Probably a manatee. A sight to see up close.
    Fish Hard...Or Don't Fish At All.
  • Poseidon10/31Poseidon10/31 Posts: 936 Officer
    I tend to have good situational awareness, so I usually spot porpoises and manatees when they're a few hundred yards away. No surprises. Gotta have eyes on the water, 360 degrees. Porpoises are known for molesting people, stay away from them things.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Dude-On-A-KayakDude-On-A-Kayak Posts: 256 Deckhand
    I'm married, so being molested by a hot female porpoise sounds interesting. Of course, I will still refuse to pay for it.

Being slightly more serious, I just about ran on water in the New River when I was a kid when a massive shadow approached me near the shore. Not a Gator, croc or bullshark , but a giant mama manatee. False alarm!
  • FLATS BROKEFLATS BROKE Posts: 2,060 Captain
    Were you drunk? I could barely read that paragraph!
  • I'm thinking it was Nessy the old lockness monster!!!
  • YakNPompYakNPomp Posts: 227 Deckhand

This is probably what it looked like..yikes