Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

What the heck wha that?

This ain't fishing but its the Stuart area. Just came in from my backyard, I happened to look up and saw this what I though was maybe a meteor going across the sky from south to north. it was a bright red ball traveling in a straight line, quite large. I watched it for about a minute and it went behind the trees, about a minute later here come another one the same path, very high. No noise, no tail like a rocket, no other lights except a red ball. I banged on my neighbors door and he came out and saw the second one, no idea what they were but the never burned up in the atmosphere and just disappeared after about 2 minutes. This was at 8:55 P. Anybody else see these things They were bright and big enough for anyone looking up to see. Strange stuff to say the least...

Replies

• JI SnookJI Snook Posts: 676 Officer
    UFO's, aliens are here.
  • Uncle BuckUncle Buck Posts: 1,195 Officer
    Didn't see 'em... but as I was arriving home at about 6pm, there were several neighbors out in the street looking up in the sky. By the time I parked at home, I looked up and saw nothing unusual. So, maybe there were more than just the two you saw?

Meteoroids do not always fall to Earth. I've seen some relatively slow ones burn as they enter the upper atmosphere, track across the sky, and move back out into space.
    Meanwhile, on the little fiberglass boat Uncle Buck...
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    Uncle Buck wrote: »
    Didn't see 'em... but as I was arriving home at about 6pm, there were several neighbors out in the street looking up in the sky. By the time I parked at home, I looked up and saw nothing unusual. So, maybe there were more than just the two you saw?

Meteoroids do not always fall to Earth. I've seen some relatively slow ones burn as they enter the upper atmosphere, track across the sky, and move back out into space.

This.^^^^^ I was on a beach, north of Cancun a few years ago and a huge fireball passed above us. This thing was almost the size of a baby pea and moved much slower than the typical shooting star. You might think you could actually see the flames flickering behind it. I have to admit I was a little nervous as this thing disappeared over the horizon.....("true" horizon, as in the water, not trees) and I was waiting for an impact flash.....which fortunately never occurred, cuz I and my lady friend would probably have been a couple of crispy critters, soon thereafter.

Anyway, this is probably what you saw, but two of them in the same path and so close together, is highly unlikely....so I am thinking they were something else. Based on what I've been seeing on the H2 channel recently, there's no telling what the military is working on these days. I mean....we've had flying saucer-like craft, since the 50's
    .......Rick
  • RondoRondo Posts: 764 Officer
    Uncle Buck wrote: »

Meteoroids do not always fall to Earth. I've seen some relatively slow ones burn as they enter the upper atmosphere, track across the sky, and move back out into space.[/QUOT

Your probably right, the only thing that bothers me is that I have seen meteorites before and what makes this different is that there was no tail behind either of them, no contrails, just a red ball.
    Permit Rat wrote: »
    This.^^^^^ I was on a beach, north of Cancun a few years ago and a huge fireball passed above us. This thing was almost the size of a baby pea and moved much slower than the typical shooting star. You might think you could actually see the flames flickering behind it. I have to admit I was a little nervous as this thing disappeared over the horizon.....("true" horizon, as in the water, not trees) and I was waiting for an impact flash.....which fortunately never occurred, cuz I and my lady friend would probably have been a couple of crispy critters, soon thereafter.

Anyway, this is probably what you saw, but two of them in the same path and so close together, is highly unlikely....so I am thinking they were something else. Based on what I've been seeing on the H2 channel recently, there's no telling what the military is working on these days. I mean....we've had flying saucer-like craft, since the 50's

I'll go with you on this, there had to be a lot more people than me and my neighbor who saw these two things, maybe we'll hear more later.
  • LastMangoLastMango Posts: 4,574 Officer
    When you hold an empty bottle of Jack up, the moon shining through the bottom can have that effect...
    LastMango wrote: »
    When you hold an empty bottle of Jack up, the moon shining through the bottom can have that effect...

You know. at first I thought it was one of your little whirlybirds on fire and out of control, but then the second one shot that theory down. 15 muttons in two days up to 23 inches,6 went back.
  • bonebone Posts: 1,154 Officer
    That soon after sunset what you are seeing are satellites. Probably low orbit spy satellite. The foil solar panels reflect sunlight and they can be very bright.
  • Uncle BuckUncle Buck Posts: 1,195 Officer
    Rondo wrote: »
    ...what makes this different is that there was no tail behind either of them, no contrails, just a red ball.

Atmospheric friction can heat an object to the point of luminescence without it bursting into flames. It depends on the composition of the object, the angle of entry, etc. Objects entering our atmosphere at a shallow angle tend to deflect, like a stone skipping off water. Since the air is thin up there, they don't encounter enough friction to break up and burn, which creates the fiery trail we're used to seeing.

I did a quick interweb search for meteoric sightings for 7/31/14. Only found two reports. One from the UK and one from California. But, both described a single object, and only visible for a few seconds.

I think Bone may be on to something with the satellite explanation.
    Meanwhile, on the little fiberglass boat Uncle Buck...
    Wish I had a camera to record this, if they were satellites they were huge!
    Just to qualify myself so I don't sound like some UFO junkie, I have seen the space station when it past over Stuart, and at time I've sat out to watch the meteor showers. When I was Captaining up north in the canyons I used to get on the bow in the dead of nigh and observe the stars and constellations. I guess I was always looking for something strange, well here it is. I could buy the satellite theory except for the fact that the second one was on the same path as the first, only two minutes behind. Just makes me wonder..........
    You know. at first I thought it was one of your little whirlybirds on fire and out of control, but then the second one shot that theory down. 15 muttons in two days up to 23 inches,6 went back.

I must have missed that text message invite from you somehow???
    Just to qualify myself so I don't sound like some UFO junkie, I have seen the space station when it past over Stuart, and at time I've sat out to watch the meteor showers. When I was Captaining up north in the canyons I used to get on the bow in the dead of nigh and observe the stars and constellations. I guess I was always looking for something strange, well here it is. I could buy the satellite theory except for the fact that the second one was on the same path as the first, only two minutes behind. Just makes me wonder..........

No question UFO's exist, I was married to one once...
    LastMango wrote: »
    No question UFO's exist, I was married to one once...

Ditto on that!
  • FloydFloyd ; in N. Tampa or DownEast MainePosts: 1,109 Officer
    Relatively few satellites are in polar, or N/S orbits, and it would be unlikely that something traveling at orbital velocity would be visible for two minutes if it was coming down to a lower atmospheric altitude. Something higher might be visible for a couple of minutes, but it would have to be huge to even be visible at all, even less likely to look large.
    The only earthly explanation for the story that I can think of is that somebody released a couple of balloons. There are websites that will tell you what the wind directions aloft were at the time of the sighting.
    Recording from Moderators annual meeting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuABc9ZNtrA
    Floyd wrote: »
    Relatively few satellites are in polar, or N/S orbits, and it would be unlikely that something traveling at orbital velocity would be visible for two minutes if it was coming down to a lower atmospheric altitude. Something higher might be visible for a couple of minutes, but it would have to be huge to even be visible at all, even less likely to look large.
    The only earthly explanation for the story that I can think of is that somebody released a couple of balloons. There are websites that will tell you what the wind directions aloft were at the time of the sighting.

Wish I could agree but no, not balloons, the glow was something hot, the velocity was faster than the commercial jets which fly over frequently and by guessing the altitude was higher. I'm just surprised that there weren't any other reports of this, all you had to do was look up. I would love to know if anything was picked up on radar from Whitman Field or even W.Palm.
  • summer dazesummer daze Posts: 883 Officer
    It was a light reflection from swamp gas..hahaha. j/k. I do believe that life exists somewhere out there in the endless universe but I DO NOT believe they are visiting us. I did however see something a few years back that I still can't explain to this day, but that's another story.
    jgocnk.jpg
    Tight Lines..
  • Mach80MakoMach80Mako Posts: 176 Deckhand
    Most likely they are paper lantern balloons. Whatever little burning holder they use to generate the hot air for lift makes it look like a flare/rocket/meteor.

First time I saw them not long ago, I swore it was a rocket launch while looking north. It looked just like a rocket as it headed east at night. What blew me away was the second one not long after. They don't shoot that close together.

They are very deceiving and very tough to get a good guess on range and distance. Your second sighting is why I'd guess 99% that it was a balloon.
    Who knows what it was, saw those big paper lanterns last year, guy was sending them out over the Indian river, so those are out. Just for curiosity I contacted Witham field, they have a 24 hour window on their radar, going to get back to me on Monday if there was anything unusual. Boy I wish someone else had seen these things besides me and my neighbor, even he is a little spooked by it.