Home General Fishing

summer time fishing clothes

Replies

• SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,388 Officer
    Exactly!@# That's why they have extra buttons sown on the inside.
  • poon.huntpoon.hunt Posts: 63 Deckhand
    skinny water culture microfiber shirts... even the black one keeps me cool
  • atty551atty551 Posts: 106 Officer
    I have used mostly Columbia products as I find their fit and finish a lot better than most.

Last year, I purchased "Breathe like a fish" shirts with netting sewn into the body and underarm area. They are made from SPF material and you can even get them made with the scarf sewn in. I didn't particularly like the shirt with the scarf sewn in but they sold me a scarf that I keep in my back pocket.

Their scarves are kind of nice because they have netting sewn into the nose and mouth area.

http://breathelikeafish.com/

I just recently started wearing Columbia Permit shorts. These are awesome. They are a bit longer and they have lots of loops and pockets and they are made from the new material that dries quickly and are lightweight.

Good luck

how do these hold up to blood and guts?
    Our children should not have to ask what they are supposed to remember on Memorial Day
  • atty551atty551 Posts: 106 Officer
    I have used mostly Columbia products as I find their fit and finish a lot better than most.

Last year, I purchased "Breathe like a fish" shirts with netting sewn into the body and underarm area. They are made from SPF material and you can even get them made with the scarf sewn in. I didn't particularly like the shirt with the scarf sewn in but they sold me a scarf that I keep in my back pocket.

Their scarves are kind of nice because they have netting sewn into the nose and mouth area.

http://breathelikeafish.com/

I just recently started wearing Columbia Permit shorts. These are awesome. They are a bit longer and they have lots of loops and pockets and they are made from the new material that dries quickly and are lightweight.

Good luck

HOW DO THESE HOLD UP TO BLOOD AND GUTS?
    Our children should not have to ask what they are supposed to remember on Memorial Day
  • JoeGiulJoeGiul Posts: 453 Deckhand
    I really like these. http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/45461?feat=2-SR0

Columbia or Bass Pro shirts. I also picked up a couple Bimini Bay shirts at Dania Flea market and they seem to be OK too. The BB ones were like $15.
    Joe G.
    Lighthouse Point
  • razorreilly09razorreilly09 Posts: 8,401 Officer
    Finfinder wrote: »
    If you throw a cast net buttons suck

Yeah, I may have to stick to buttonless or put a frogtog top over while throwing the net, just ordered a few Reel legends long sleeves from Bealls, $20 each, thanks for the info, good stuff! :cheers:
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 14,190 AG
    So I stopped by the Ellenton outlet on the way back to Tampa last week. Found the new Colombia Freezer ****...for $23 (retail is $60). I got a few of 'em, as this is the coolest microfiber shirt I've ever worn.
  • Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,439 Admiral
    atty551 wrote: »
    HOW DO THESE HOLD UP TO BLOOD AND GUTS?

The shirts have held up well. I have gotten blood and guts all over them and they wash out nicely.

The shorts I purchased are black and beige. I haven't really bloodied them up yet but will report as soon as I do.

cheers

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
  • mastercastermastercaster Posts: 1,259 Officer
    JoeGiul wrote: »
    I really like these. http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/45461?feat=2-SR0

Columbia or Bass Pro shirts. I also picked up a couple Bimini Bay shirts at Dania Flea market and they seem to be OK too. The BB ones were like $15.

how are these shorts if you like to free ball
  • zmgsvtzmgsvt Posts: 302 Deckhand
    ****.hunt wrote: »
    skinny water culture microfiber shirts... even the black one keeps me cool

How do their sizes fit compared to their cotton shirts? Thinking of trying one out
    how are these shorts if you like to free ball
    There is a mesh inside but it is loose enough. I have like 10 pair of these, its all I use, swim, fish, bike etc. The mesh inside does not hold up that well so I just cut it out and then go commando when it wears out. The pockets are good too.
    Joe G.
    Lighthouse Point
  • esteroestero Posts: 2,041 Captain
    I like a long sleeved Columbia shirt with a little uv protection. There are many shorts that are very good. I also have a Tilley hat that is a little expensive but worth it. It never blows off and they have a great warranty. I think stains are going to happen at sometime in your clothing's life. A good pair of polarized sunglasses are necessary. Some guys that are out a lot or burn easy have the buff. Plenty of sunscreen tops it off for me.

Just because you’re  Offended  Doesn’t mean you right!

• dportdport Posts: 31 Deckhand
    I have alight blue long sleeve Columbia, and love it. stole it on sale for $7.00. I also have two long sleeve green under armour spring hunting shirts that I wear and they are great, as well. Other's in my closet are short sleeve Nike Dry-fit, Austin (Academy sports store brand) polo that is similar to U.A., and I also have a wicking T-shirt that is Target's store brand. I love the one from target as much as all the others. If you have a Target close by, I would seriously go try one. Not sure you can get a long sleeve, though. They're cheap, so if I know it's going to be a dirty trip I throw it on and not worry about stains. There's lots of stuff out there, so I recommend going into a cpl stores and trying some stuff on.
  • mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
    One more vote for WWS/BP shirts and pants. I only but the 100% cotton clothing because I feel they breathe better and keep me cooler than synthetics.
  • ezzriderezzrider Posts: 80 Deckhand
    I find that no matter what manufacturer shirt I wear the newer moisture wicking synthetics work better than any of the 100% cotton type shirts. I wore 100% cotton shirts forever and even the "moisture wicking" cotton shirts. I always found the cotton shirts stayed wet most of the time leaving a grimy feeling. The newer moisture wicking synthetic fibers dry very quickly leaving me feeling less grimy and much cooler.
  • copout@castaways[email protected] Posts: 5,779 Admiral
    So what are you guys using to clean or attempt to clean the SPF shirts? After two trips I'm covered in dolphin blood. I like to at least start the day looking clean. Also where do you get this SPF replenishing detergent that someone mentioned?
  • esoxflyesoxfly Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    I wear Under Armour flats clothes. Their first gen from a couple of years ago sucked, but they've improved 110% and now are all I wear. Long sleeves and pants all summer. I too get asked if I'm baking, but I'm cool and comfortable. Not to mention my skin tone (pasty white) doesn't agree with the Sun, so I'm pretty much in flats clothes from April until October.
    Ranger 200C/Yamaha 225 Sport
    300x100.jpg
    So what are you guys using to clean or attempt to clean the SPF shirts? After two trips I'm covered in dolphin blood. I like to at least start the day looking clean. Also where do you get this SPF replenishing detergent that someone mentioned?

https://sunguardsunprotection.com/?ccUser=

Not sure it is the best price here but it is a start.
    Joe G.
    Lighthouse Point
  • Anonymous 1Anonymous 1 Posts: 51 Deckhand
    For shirts I usually wear skinny water culture microfiber, or the columbia long sleeve (buttonless) shirts. The skinny water shirts are thinner and lighter, but both are cool enough. My favorite shorts are the regular aftco fishing shorts.
    I don't get many blood stains, but I use the spray sunblock that turns everything orange. Haven't found out how to avoid it.
  • Major WaderMajor Wader Posts: 702 Officer
    bds04f wrote: »
    For shirts I usually wear skinny water culture microfiber, or the columbia long sleeve (buttonless) shirts. The skinny water shirts are thinner and lighter, but both are cool enough. My favorite shorts are the regular aftco fishing shorts.
    I don't get many blood stains, but I use the spray sunblock that turns everything orange. Haven't found out how to avoid it.

The only solution I have found to the shirts turning orange is not washing them while I am in Florida. I think it's related to the water, as I never have that issue with shirts that I bring back to Georgia before washing them.
    Member #4013
    Canton, GA
  • GabiJohnsonGabiJohnson FloridaPosts: 13 Greenhorn
    I use the Bass Pro version of the Columbia Fishing shirt. 

• MayaWilsonMayaWilson RichlandPosts: 9 Greenhorn
    I use the Bass Pro version of the Columbia Fishing shirt. Washes up pretty good and has an spf of about 30 or better. Light weight, breaths and wicks away moisture and then dries quick.

• JoshFergusonJoshFerguson FloridaPosts: 12 Greenhorn
    Got to find something cheap that works for the mean time-long sleeve a must
  • petedoggiedogpetedoggiedog Posts: 206 Deckhand
    100 % cotton tees. dickies brand tees fit well and cost about 10 bucks each at wallyworld. been wearing  tshirts to fish in all my life. skin cancer on my face, hands, legs removed a few times, but never on areas covered by cotton t shirts. go figure. and yes its tough to get fish gut stains out of cotton, but the ole lady knows you didn't lie about where you been when you come home. LOL
  • FishingpervertFishingpervert Deltona, FloridaPosts: 637 Officer
    edited March 27 #56
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 5,730 Admiral
    I just wear some baggies(board shorts) and a ratty T shirt. I bring a spare t shirt to change into if need be. I guess I would be considered a slob here. I usually jump in the water to get some of the fish smell off before I head in also, hence the baggies. 

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 8,082 Admiral
    I hope the OP from 9 years has found something that he likes
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,495 AG
    Yep....who keeps dragging these back up?

I got a deal on some Haynes X-temp tee shirts last year and like them...very cool...otherwise, I wait till the local thrift store is running " mens clothes" 50% off...I go in and buy Columbia type fishing shirts for $2 - $3 - $4  ......
     " It ain't no fashion show " was what my dad told me years ago... LOL 
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 4,598 Captain
    Yeti owns Huk so they are the best.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • bocapup1bocapup1 Posts: 1,065 Officer
    No shirt and just surf trunks with free ball!
    maybe flip flops maybe not?
    hat with vista glasses