Narrowed it down to two!!

Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
Not trying to start a preference debate here but I've narrowed my search for a yak down to 2. I tested the Native Slayer 14.5 and the Jackson Big Rig. Both are fine crafts. The Jackson is way more loaded with features but is a little more expensive. Should I go with price tag or is the Jackson actually worth the extra dough?? I've got to buy two(GF needs a ride) so I'm trying to stay under 3 grand for both. She tested the Jackson Coosa today. She likes it but it is a bit of a dog for her to paddle with her being 5' tall and only about 105lbs. She looked at the Cuda 12 also but likes the open platform of the Coosa better. Any other stand up, SOT models I should inquire about for her? Thanks for the advice guys. I really appreciate it!
Need a little time off...For Bad Behavior....

2014 Egret 2011 /Yamaha 250 SHO - sold
2019 Pathfinder 2500 hybrid 350 Verado

Replies

• Darylb23Darylb23 Posts: 254 Deckhand
    Native and Jackson both make high quality kayaks. I think it has to come down to what you see yourself fishing out of. What are you going to be happiest with? I would focus on what is comfortable and is set up to suit your fishing needs. Ease (or lack thereof) of transport. Features are important but if you haven't done much kayak fishing it is hard to know which features are most important to you. You honestly cant go wrong with either.

As for your gf, how about the Slayer 12? Any of the really stable, open layout kayaks are going to be a bit on the heavy side and not the most nimble but it should paddle better than the Coosa.
    South River Outfitters Fishing Team - KayakBassFishing.com AmBASSador
  • shallow water assassinshallow water assassin Posts: 389 Officer
    Slayer 14.5 for you and that slayer 12 for her. I own the boats and I've been in every kayak from pro anglers, rides and cheap o yaks and native nailed it with the slayer. It's paddles great super stable and you can easy out fit it with extras to you likeing. Just my 2 cents. Plus you would be a matching pair on on the water.
  • Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
    Went with the Big Rig and the Coosa. The dealer got right on the price and I liked the idea of dealing with a "Kayak" store rather than a sporting goods store where they happen to sell kayaks. Hey, my GF was complaining about her arms getting a little soft so the way I see it, the Coosa will help out in that area! Both were small businesses which is where I would prefer to do business anyway. Thanks for the advice. And if anyone is up in the Lanark Village area, look for us on a black Egret 2011 or our new yaks! Tight Lines!

• palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,620 Captain
    It is a great way to spend time together. You are going to love it.
  • timmcollinstimmcollins Posts: 837 Officer
    5' a 100 pounds. She may be more comfortable with a OK Tetra. Quick and nimble, and if she fishes they make an angler model. Just sayin.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in one hand, Cheeseburger in the other, body well used and worn out and screaming WOO-HOO What a Ride!"
  • Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
    5' a 100 pounds. She may be more comfortable with a OK Tetra. Quick and nimble, and if she fishes they make an angler model. Just sayin.

That's probably true and may change up if she decides she doesn't like the one I got her. She's pretty stoked as of right now!