Skip to main content
Home Boating

Need advise (please) engine bracket

fandangofandango Posts: 69 Deckhand
I own a 1993 Hydra Sports 18.5 open sea fishing boat with an excellent running 1991 150 hp 60 degree engine. I wanted to add an engine bracket ( 18" to 22 ") so I can close the transom. I have been told that because it is an 18.5 boat, it will lose it buoyancy and it will be stern heavy and it will lose its ride.

Questions:

1. Because the bracket has a buoyancy hollow space, doesn't it compensate of the weight of the bracket.
2. What if I add weight to the bow?

I would like to add the bracket because I love this boat and it's paid for instead of selling it and buying one with a closed transom.

Your opinions will be highly appreciated.

TIGHT LINES AND BE SAFE.

Replies

• fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,395 Officer
    Brackets are generally not recommended for boats less than 20'. The flotation type brackets only provide flotation at rest; when running the bracket is out of the water. If you add weight to the bow you'll definitely have a heavier boat but that's about it! Check out Porta-Brackets which include lifting capability plus closed transom option.
  • Slo Poke1Slo Poke1 Posts: 328 Deckhand
    Instead of the bracket, go with a hydraulic jack plate for under a grand.
  • BaldyBaldy Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    just adding a jack plate (even 10" setback) probably won't give you enough room to let you close in the transom unless you never need to tilt your engine up all the way. The porta-bracket is well suited and they are close to you - over in Pt. St. John. They are very popular on the west coast with the inshore guys. Jack plate would be the cheapest option, however, as porta-brackets are upwards of $2K and a decent jack plate will be half that much.