Sanibel Island Info

Coming down to Sanibel Island for a first time visit and was wondering what are the must see's, good places to eat and general info from those who know the area the best. Coming from Jacksonville. Will be doing some beach and pass fishing not bringing the boat which I know is a mistake but it is really not a fishing trip that will come. So any info would be awesome.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Edgewater 220IS (Dan)
Mercury 250 Verado
Minn Kota I-pilot
2 Simrad NSS 9 evo 2
1 Simrad NSS 7 evo2

Replies

• ScminnowScminnow Posts: 3,831 Captain
  • Edgewater220Edgewater220 Posts: 488 Officer
    Were staying at the lighthouse end of the island. If that helps just some suggestion would be nice been on trip advisor already.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Edgewater 220IS (Dan)
    Mercury 250 Verado
    Minn Kota I-pilot
    2 Simrad NSS 9 evo 2
    1 Simrad NSS 7 evo2
  • snook charmersnook charmer Posts: 337 Deckhand
    Blind pass between Sanibel and Captiva is a good spot to fish. Snook are on the beaches now, walk the beach around the lighthouse at sunrise tossing a white bucktail, mirrodine or rapala. The Island Cow is a nice little place to eat www.sanibelislandcow.com. I can't help you much more than that, I'm usually just fishing out there. Bring bug spray if you fish Blind pass in the early am or evening.
  • Edgewater220Edgewater220 Posts: 488 Officer
    Blind pass between Sanibel and Captiva is a good spot to fish. Snook are on the beaches now, walk the beach around the lighthouse at sunrise tossing a white bucktail, mirrodine or rapala. The Island Cow is a nice little place to eat www.sanibelislandcow.com. I can't help you much more than that, I'm usually just fishing out there. Bring bug spray if you fish Blind pass in the early am or evening.

Thanks for the info noseeums thick this time of year I take it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Edgewater 220IS (Dan)
    Mercury 250 Verado
    Minn Kota I-pilot
    2 Simrad NSS 9 evo 2
    1 Simrad NSS 7 evo2
  • spearjunkyspearjunky Posts: 184 Deckhand
    food doc's is another if you like ice cream pinocchio's or bailey's for grocery just better then the other place to me i pm you my number if you need anything else let me no i get there fri
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    do a search, there is lots of info on fishing restaurants, places to stay and other stuff to do that has been posted, too much to repost.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • dcrdcr Posts: 350 Deckhand
    Lighthouse Cafe
    Island Cow
    Doc Ford's
    Bait Box
    Sanibel Thriller
    Amy's Over Easy Cafe
    Mucky Duck (Captiva)
    Ding
  • Bob & WeaveBob & Weave Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    Doc Ford's to eat.
  • ScminnowScminnow Posts: 3,831 Captain
    Doc fords for lunch for sure.
    I live on the island but can't afford to eat out. Expect $40 pp easily. But locals eat at Jerry's they have a $9 salad soup bar. Also check out great white grill for lunch. Most restaurants here are expensive, mediocre food and lousy service. Lol
    Good but expensive, Traders, Mellisas Cafe, Tesoro. Bkfts go to lighthouse grill mo better than over easy but there good too hard to screw up bkft. Lighthouse has a better potatoe hash. Beach fishing go to bowmans walk west, or blind pass. Early am try the lighthouse. Problem is the fish follow the bait so they can be anywhere depending on when your here. No seeums are here in good numbers lol
  • jcbcpajcbcpa Posts: 1,623 Captain
    I'm also planning on being there the end of September. Not really a fishing trip, but I would like to get in maybe a 1/2 day inshore trip. Can any of you recommend a guide?
    I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.
    Herbert Bayard Swope
    US editor & journalist (1882 - 1958)
  • BeeknBeekn Posts: 136 Deckhand
    Find the bait on the beach and you WILL find fish.
    Watch the pod as they will be hit.
    Match the hatch.
  • LimeyLimey Posts: 478 Deckhand
    For any fishing info go to Whitney's, real nice guys there very helpful. September is one of the slow months on the island.
    Carolina Skiff 238 DLV. 140 Suk
  • AndrewSAndrewS Posts: 158 Officer
    The beach snook liked our DOA Night Glow 1/4 OZ. Shrimp. Don't know about restaurants. All we did was fish the beach.
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 AG
    Breakfast:
    Amy's Over Easy
    The Lighthouse

Lunch:
    The Lighthouse
    Sanibel Grill
    Cheeburger Cheeburger
    Sanibel Cafe
    Doc Fords
    Lazy Flamingo ( don't examine the crap hanging from the ceiling too closely)
    Island Cow

Dinner:
    Matzaluna $
    Jacaranda $$
    Sweet Melissa's $$
    Traders $$$
    Sanibel Steakhouse $$$

Groceries:
    Jerry's
    Baily's

Hardware:
    Bailey's
    Ace

Fishing stuff:
    Bait Box
    Bailey's
    Norm Zeigler's
    Whitney's

Liquor:
    Bailey's
    Jerry's
    Huxters

Fun stuff:
    Bring bikes or rent them.
    Segway Tour from Billy's bikes. $$
    See the birds at Perriwinkle Trailer Park and Campground
    See the birds at Jerry's ( they have a neat grocery delivery system too.)
    Visit the lighthouse and fishing pier
    Check out Blind Pass
    Kayak the Sanibel river.
    Ding Darling Nature Drive (drive or bike, it will be too hot to walk)
    Rent canoes / kayaks at Tarpon Bay. Stay on the west side.
    Borrow movies from the library ( which is cool)
    Tour the botanical gardens at Sanibel Moorings
    Walk the beach to sightfish snook before just sunrise to about 9 AM. Don't let them see you:

walkmap.jpg
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
    I've been coming to Sanibel for 15 years. And this was the first year we went and saw the birds at the Perriwinkle trailer park. What a hidden gem well worth visiting. The old homesteads are worth a visit too.
  • TlawsonTlawson Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the bird show tip. I've been coming down for the last 10 years and had never heard of it. One place I like to grab a breakfast sandwich is Huxters. It's usually open before sun up so I like to grab a sandwich on the way to go fish. Cheap and pretty good. They also have a decent variety of lunch meat. We also like to eat at the restaurant inside Jerry's. We tried Cips last time we were there and I had some of the best ribs I've ever had. They were awesome. Can't wait to get back down there.
    It's not a bird show just exotic birds in cages and around the small pond. The guy that owns the park owns them he also has the birds at Jerry's.
  • davidgiddavidgid Posts: 250 Deckhand
    Hey jcbcpa,
    We have been going to Sanibel for about 8 years. Last year we were lucky enough to be able to stay on the island for the whole month of September. I work from home and my wife homeschools, so we were able to mix a little work and pleasure for the month. Anyway, I ended up going with http://sanibelcaptivafishin.com/, and I would use him again. He was good with kids on the boat my boys were 5, 7, 11. Captain Reed was great and he even picked us up on the causway. If you are staying at a place with a slip he will pick you up there.

Anyway when we were there in September of last year the water being released from lake okeechobee was really messing up the fishing for most people. The water was dark and a lot of fresh water was being dumped into the bay. Anyway Captain Reed still put us on the fish. We landed lots of specks, a few mangrove snapper, jack crevalle, and my dad even got a 3 foot black tip up to the boat. That thing hit a live 3 inch pilchard. We were not rigged up for shark so at the side of the boat the shark's teeth cut the line. It was fun anyway. That said Captain Reed got us on the fish.