Need a sawmill to rip a cypress log

Cypress tree falls on the truck saturday during a storm, trucks headed to the body shop and im left wondering what to do with the tree, make some furniture what else !?!??! So i have a nice cypress log about 20' long and 14-16 inches in diameter i want ripped right down the middle does anyone have a saw big enough or know a mill i can haul it to ??? Thanks gang

Replies

• gerrysgerrys Posts: 738 Officer
    Good luck. Many mills won't touch a tree w/o a blade deposit unless the tree is known to come from some virgin stock.
  • Anonymous3Anonymous3 Posts: 5,987 Officer
    Someone here was just looking for some cypress bunks weren't they ? :-)
  • southboundchickensouthboundchicken Posts: 711 Officer
    Yep and i just took a measurement... 25' long she is, gonna make some nifty looking benches
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 6,968 Admiral
    Ash Sawmill at the east end of the Shands bridge just to the north on SR 13, he's on the right. Don't have his phone number here but he will do it so long as it is green. Had him do a almost 40 foot cherry log last year that was almost 20 inches in diameter at the thickest and I've seen him do bigger pieces.

He has a tractor to get the wood off your trailer with.
    I LIED....found the number.......377-4800...............
  • WildLinesWildLines Posts: 550 Officer
    just north of hilliard just before the state line on right.

I spoke to him a doing a big cedar for me last year. cant remember cost, but he did say $25 for every nail he hit and messed his blade up.

look it over for nails. let me know if you cant find a number, I can get it for you.
  • slipknotslipknot Posts: 372 Officer
    Frasier millworks. Tallrand area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I called ash and hes out of business for now so im still looking, would like to find someone close to hampton/ starke
    I called ash and hes out of business for now so im still looking, would like to find someone close to hampton/ starke

Would bet a dime to a dollar that the guy who sells the cypress slabs just south of the big flea market on US 301 at Waldo has the ability to cut it. He's not the easiest guy to deal with, especially his kids!, but he must have a saw capable of doing it. I'd call first.
    That was the first place i stopped and they dont cut it, girl gave me a name and number but that guy was out of business also , i live right on lake hampton and just north of me is a guy on the northbound side of 301 im trying to reach
    If you find someone will you post it?
    bswiv wrote: »
    If you find someone will you post it?
    I will definitely let everyone know, i've got 2 logs loaded on the trailer ready to go😎
  • RedactionRedaction Posts: 1,440 Officer
    You might try calling Griffis Lumber in Gainesville, they might be able to point you in the right direction.

http://www.griffislumber.com/
  • UglycusUglycus Posts: 218 Officer
    http://www.northfloridaportablesawmill.com/home.html

4215 Deer Trail Middleburg FL 32068 US

Mon - Sat 8am - 6pm
    Closed Sundays
    Call for appointment
    Formally know as "Fish'n Skiff"
  • WhyWorkWhyWork Posts: 264 Officer
    What about the mill just north of the Hampton light on 301?
  • Mark O.Mark O. Posts: 3,401 Captain
    I have no problem sawing logs...
    Mark O. wrote: »
    I have no problem sawing logs...

Hook a brother up :)
    WhyWork wrote: »
    What about the mill just north of the Hampton light on 301?
    Thats one of the guys im trying to get,he's got banker hours but i hear he can cut wood like nobodies business
  • renovatorrenovator Posts: 87 Deckhand
    Bill Kavanaugh at Florida Cypress Products off Talleyrand, that is what he does. May be to far to go from your location.
    [SIGPIC]captain-ron.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Mark O.Mark O. Posts: 3,401 Captain
    Hook a brother up :)
    :grin:grin:grin
  • zmgsvtzmgsvt Posts: 302 Deckhand
    Josh Crawford in Brooker would do it. Don't have his number but the business name is Crawford Carriers or something similar.
    Ok fellas heres the latest... After calling around to various places , most of which were no longer cutting wood, i finally got in touch with doug cribbs who is just around the corner from the house on 301 1/2 mile north of county rd 18 in hampton. He was able to cut my wood at a very reasonable rate even loaded it up in the trailer with his fork lift.... Pictures of the benches im making coming soon so stay tuned
  • twirptwirp Posts: 1,123 Officer
    I build saw mills, but don't know anyone local to go to. Sorry. Look forward to seeing what you're building.
    Pathfinder-Logo-300x103.jpg