Pope Francis sounds too much like Obama to be honored by Congress, Republican says

chubascochubasco Posts: 18,390 Officer
By Scott Kaufman
Wednesday, July 30, 2014

A bipartisan congressional resolution that would honor Pope Francis before his potential appearance in Philadelphia next year may not be acted upon because of Republican worries that the pontiff is perceived as being “too liberal,” The Hill reports.

House Resolution 440 aims to “congratulate Pope Francis on his election and recognize his inspirational statements and actions,” but according to one Republican backer of the legislation, the resolution is dead because Pope Francis is “sounding like Obama. [The pope] talks about equality — he actually used the term ‘trickle-down economics,’ which is politically charged.”

Republicans are upset because of comments the Pope made concerning the free market. Last November, for example, Francis published his Evangelii Gandium, in which he noted that “[a]s long as the problems of the poor are not radically resolved by rejecting the absolute autonomy of markets and financial speculation and by attacking the structural causes of inequality, no solution will be found for the world’s problems or, for that matter, to any problems.”

He also specifically attacked President Ronald Reagan’s signature economic policy, “trickle-down theory,” writing that “ome people continue to defend trickle-down theories which assume that economic growth, encouraged by a free market, will inevitably succeed in bringing about greater justice and inclusiveness in the world. This opinion, which has never been confirmed by the facts, expresses a crude and naïve trust in the goodness of those wielding economic power and in the sacralized workings of the prevailing economic system.”

The resolution states that Pope Francis should be honored for, among other things, being the first pontiff from the Americas, as well as “his commitment to economic justice and improving the lives of the poor, and his outreach to individuals from all walks of life have been universally praised and are living examples of Jesus Christ’s message.”

Of the 221 co-sponsors of the legislation, only 19 are Republicans. Democratic Representative John Larson (CT) sent House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) a letter last Friday requesting a vote on the resolution.

“To my knowledge this would be an historic first. I ask that you take a look at a bipartisan resolution introduced by Representative Peter King and myself, acknowledging the first Pope from the Americas … it is my sincere hope that you will consider this resolution for the suspension calendar for a vote,” Larson wrote in the letter obtained by The Hill.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/07/30/pope-francis-sounds-too-much-like-obama-to-be-honored-by-congress-republican-says/
Chubasco.jpg

Replies

• dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 6,778 Admiral
    Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers
  • phlatsphilphlatsphil Posts: 14,632 AG

:grin

this is like the 4th good smart azzz retort today.... lovin it!
  • Lucky7Team2Lucky7Team2 Posts: 6,794 Officer

Love it!:rotflmao
  • Ron@.38 Special[email protected] Special Posts: 6,893 Admiral
    Why should congress honor any pope?
  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,413 AG
    The Pope is nothing more than an overdressed, over hyped, over paid preacher/politician no closer to GOD than any other clergy.
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 6,778 Admiral
    phlatsphil wrote: »
    :grin

this is like the 4th good smart azzz retort today.... lovin it!

as much as i would like to take credit for it, it is off a bumper sticker
  • chubascochubasco Posts: 18,390 Officer
    Why should congress honor any pope?

Well there are 1.2 BILLION Roman Catholics in the World. Congress has honored thousands of different clergymen. Billy Graham was given the Congressional gold medal, highest honor Congress can bestow on a private citizen. Neither Graham or any of the other clergy that Congress has honored leads a religion with as many followers as the Pope.
    Chubasco.jpg
  • Lucky7Team2Lucky7Team2 Posts: 6,794 Officer
    chubasco wrote: »
    Well there are 1.2 BILLION Roman Catholics in the World. Congress has honored thousands of different clergymen. Billy Graham was given the Congressional gold medal, highest honor Congress can bestow on a private citizen. Neither Graham or any of the other clergy that Congress has honored leads a religion with as many followers as the Pope.

He's Christian, Pope is Catholic. Wrong cult...
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,073 AG
    Who cares??

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • LuckyMrSwLuckyMrSw Posts: 3,208 Captain
    So, now the LWNJ Knuckle-Heads care about the pope and what he is, or is not honored for? Good grief!!!!! You nutt jobs cant even keep up with your own play book.
    Please stop derailing my thread.
    `Forum Moderator`

Don't call each other names
    `Same Forum Moderator`
  • chubascochubasco Posts: 18,390 Officer
    LuckyMrSw wrote: »
    So, now the LWNJ Knuckle-Heads care about the pope and what he is, or is not honored for? Good grief!!!!! You nutt jobs cant even keep up with your own play book.

Reading comprehension challenged huh? Read the OP. It was the RWNJ's that did not want the man honored.
    Chubasco.jpg
  • LuckyMrSwLuckyMrSw Posts: 3,208 Captain
    No, its you with the learning disability. I don't care either way. But now all of a sudden you knuckle heads care about the pope.
    chubasco wrote: »
    Reading comprehension challenged huh? Read the OP. It was the RWNJ's that did not want the man honored.
    Please stop derailing my thread.
    `Forum Moderator`

Don't call each other names
    `Same Forum Moderator`