Hoping I didn't make a mistake?

Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
So the GF got her wish and I purchased two kayaks today. Purchased these to basically fish within a mile or two of my dock at Lanark Village Fl(St George Sound on the gulf). I purchased two of the Bass Pro Ascend 128 models. I looked at two Native Slayer 14.5's. Just couldn't justify that much more money. I have a 2014 Egret 2011 so I'm betting this kayak thing isn't gonna last. Are these kayaks sufficient for bouncing around the docks and picking up reds?? Just want to be sure they're safe enough for short treks. Thanks for any helpful info. BB
Need a little time off...For Bad Behavior....

2014 Egret 2011 /Yamaha 250 SHO - sold
2019 Pathfinder 2500 hybrid 350 Verado

Replies

• PottymouthPottymouth Posts: 1,547 Officer
    I've seen those kayaks offshore, so it should be fine to bounce around the dock. Welcome to the addiction. .
    sfkglogo.pngadrenalinelogo.pngjimyjigslogo.jpgaccuratelogo.png
  • summer dazesummer daze Posts: 883 Officer
    I have a 2014 Egret 2011 so I'm betting this kayak thing isn't gonna last. . BB

I also have a boat. (22' Pathfinder) Once you start catching nice fish from the yak, it gets very addictive. I probably put more miles on the yak than I do the boat. Don't give up on em too soon, you may miss out on a nice sleigh ride :willynilly !!!!
    jgocnk.jpg
    Tight Lines..
  • Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
    I got home and put it in my pond. Feels very small. I may take mine back and opt for the Native or some other bigger boat. My GF likes hers but then again, she's 5' tall and about a buck 0 five. I'm 6'1 270. Big difference.

• kwanza98kwanza98 Posts: 611 Officer
    Big Game 2 or Predator 13 is made for bigger guys. Look it up. You'll see what I'm taking about. Very stable
    Kwanza Kayaking Henderson
    I looked them up and are very nice boats. How do they compare to the Native Slayer 14.5? I have no idea what the best for the money is. I started to ask but figured I'd get way more confused than now. The Ascend I bought feels like a toy rather than a boat. Would like something a little better quality. Suggestions welcomed!!

• PottymouthPottymouth Posts: 1,547 Officer
    Hit up all the dealers in ur area, find out when they doing demo's and try a few out, u want comfort and stability try a PA hobie. Pricey but nothing beats it.
    sfkglogo.pngadrenalinelogo.pngjimyjigslogo.jpgaccuratelogo.png
  • SkunkLifeSkunkLife Posts: 545 Officer
    Pottymouth wrote: »
    Hit up all the dealers in ur area, find out when they doing demo's and try a few out, u want comfort and stability try a PA hobie. Pricey but nothing beats it.

X2 and there just so happens to be one for sale in the classifieds that is an excellent steal price. Rob didn't mention it because he thinks I'm breaking up with him.
    Lowbrow Sportsman - "Socially inept since 1985"
  • RollinRollin Posts: 1,543 Captain
    A few years after I bought the Yaks(Tarpon 120's) I sold my Maverick. I just got hooked on the Yak thing and never looked back.
  • Lt.FireDogLt.FireDog Posts: 1,112 Officer
    Almost sounds like your not wanting to give kayak fishing a chance. :grin
    Like many, me getting into the sport spelled the end of my Everglades 223 Bay....no dry storage/insurance/fuel/upkeep cost.
    Find your local dealers and learn about their demo days.

P2090615.jpg
  • kwanza98kwanza98 Posts: 611 Officer
    Lt.FireDog I was just going to suggest the same thing. You never know what yak is for you until you test drive them. Good luck and give a update on what you decided.
    Kwanza Kayaking Henderson
    Will do. I'm a little north and we do not have very many yak dealers here. However, my GF now loves her yak I bought her so I will be among the paddling crowd soon. With no intentions of giving up my Egret, I am anticipating finding a good fit for me in a kayak. Most mornings and evenings, I can simply slip it in the water from my dock and be fishing within 30 yards. Pretty simple and much easier than going down to the ramp and fighting the crowds.

• Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    Try the Ascend 128T. A completely different yak
    cuda-title2_zpsb81e4f1d.jpg
    greggl wrote: »
    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
    nuevowavo wrote:
    Think you're pretty clever? Think again. Time for a break.
    :rotflmao
  • pslmaverickpslmaverick Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    for a paddling yak, take a look at the ride 135 advanced or hold out for the new seat. extremely comfortable, very stabile and roomy, and you can stand up. if you need speed, look at the tarpon 14.
    we've got a marquesa 14 and a 135 that my wife paddles. my other sleigh is a ma17 and I yak fish half the time, but there is a 135 in my future that may tip the scales towards more kayak fishing.
    Try the Ascend 128T. A completely different yak

Actually, those were the model of the two I returned today. Went and tested a Jackson Big Rig and my GF tested a coosa. We liked both very well.

Lt.FireDog wrote: »
    Almost sounds like your not wanting to give kayak fishing a chance. :grin
    Like many, me getting into the sport spelled the end of my Everglades 223 Bay....no dry storage/insurance/fuel/upkeep cost.
    Find your local dealers and learn about their demo days.

P2090615.jpg

Btw, this is my Egret I'm gonna be cheating on with the yak..... I hope you understand why I'm a little reluctant sounding!:cool: