Skip to main content
Home Boating

Repair screw holes in non-skid deck?

rehartlinerehartline Posts: 810 Officer
I'm thinking of replacing the cooler mounts on my non-skid deck. I would need to repair the screw holes. The holes are for something like a #8 or 10 sheet metal type screw. Would you MarineTek the holes and try to do something for the gel coat? It's a simple cross hatch pattern.

Ideas appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,353 Moderator
    No such thing as a simple pattern, when it comes to trying to match it with gel coat. a Texas company called Gibco makes reverse pattern PVA sheets of non-skid patterns. Its the material builders use on there plugs used to create the molds. The reverse pattern is used to press a puddle of gel coat onto the repair area. experience is the only way to know how much gel coat to use and color matching sun faded gel coat is an artform unto itself.
    Are you replacing the mounts with new mounts? If so, you can fill the screw holes with marine tex, and redrill the pilot holes.

CMD
    Formerly Catmandew
  • Oldfox1939Oldfox1939 Posts: 521 Officer
    I have filled holes like you described with Marine Tex……then before it sets up completely used a piece of plastic similar to a credit card to make the hash marks. After time, it is barely noticeable.
  • SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,390 Officer
    If that doesn't work, how about covering the area with a piece of Starboard, then mount the cooler mounts to the Starboard.
  • BacklashBacklash Posts: 880 Officer
    Countersink the holes.
    Clean with acetone.
    Fill holes, not quite flush, with a vinylester or polyester filler (formula 27, AdTech, marine Bondo, etc)
    I'd add a few layers of glass for longevity, but it's up to you
    Mask off the area around the holes with masking tape
    Color match your gelcoat, add wax, and apply it to the repaired holes by simply dabbing it with a detail brush.
    Sand the cured gelcoat patches until its flush with and beginning to abrade the masking tape.
    Remove the tape, and carefully sand the gel repairs the final few mils so its flush with the existing deck.(start with 220/320 and go up to 800)
    Use a long hacksaw blade to place in each low spot of the diamond pattern, the length of it will ensure a straight line and it will quickly shape your pattern.
    Polish if needed.
    You'll forget the holes were there.

Could do it with just marinetex as well, but the color will be off.
  • scottscott Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    Dr. Gelcoat here, www.gelcoat repairs.com this is how I do it… i make my own reverse mold from the non skid pattern on "your particular boat's pattern" you need this first, no other pattern will ever be exact, I then buff out a place on your boat, get the true gelcoat color revealed to me, then, I get out my tint kit, use my 30 years experience to match the color exactly,I then thicken a small amount of the matching gelcoat that now matches your boat , and use my mold of your non skid to continue the repair, to get it perfect… takes many years of perfecting the art of gelcoat repairs, but for a quicker repair, not perfect by a long shot, a person could use marine Tek…..
    without any mold, place it in a ziplock bag, and use it to apply it to the holes like a baker using icing on a cake to force it into the holes, good luck, if it has to be perfect…. I can fix it for you, the procedure, for a beginner… not so easy. hope this advise helps