Home Angler On Foot

Ft Desoto Park

MantasticmikeMantasticmike Posts: 3 Greenhorn
Hello everyone, my girlfriend and I are heading out to Ft Desoto Park this weekend and was wondering where the good fishing spots there are, I've already looked up the tides and was just wondering if anyone had luck there and where. Pictures or maps would be awesome! Thank y'all! :)

Replies

• Austins26Austins26 Posts: 1,989 Captain
    fish moving water
    The Original HOTD poster
    680k views 360 plus posts Deleted by a so called Mod over a little cleavage

member since Oct 1998 long before most of You
  • jershjersh Posts: 90 Deckhand
    Are you willing to wade or will you be shore-bound? Lots more chances if you're willing to get wet.
  • MantasticmikeMantasticmike Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    We will be wading out.
  • jershjersh Posts: 90 Deckhand
    We will be wading out.

Ok... A few places to try...

I have had success wading north from the East Beach area roundabout... Turn left at the 'T' after you enter the park. Go all the way to the end to the roundabout. You'll see the Skyway bridge to your right. Some people will wade out that way toward the bridge. Or keep going about 3/4 of the way around the roundabout, you'll see an opening in the mangroves. You can park there and wade out that way as well. If the tide is low you can wade out pretty much as far as you are comfortable going from shore. There are some deeper pot holes out there but for the most part it will be waist deep or so, even a good 1/2 mile or mile away from shore. At high tide you won't be able to go as far, but then you may want to just work along the mangroves for snook or redfish. Another place I've had success wading is at the other end of the park. Take the main road toward North beach. Take the last right before you get to the other roundabout. I think there is a sign for a picnic area. Follow the curvy road all the way back and you'll eventually see the water. There is a seawall that you can climb down and there are some grass flats there. This is along the edge of the main channel, so don't go too deep, there will be a lot of boat traffic and the tide can really rip through there with some strong currents as well.
  • MantasticmikeMantasticmike Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    jersh wrote: »
    Ok... A few places to try...

I have had success wading north from the East Beach area roundabout... Turn left at the 'T' after you enter the park. Go all the way to the end to the roundabout. You'll see the Skyway bridge to your right. Some people will wade out that way toward the bridge. Or keep going about 3/4 of the way around the roundabout, you'll see an opening in the mangroves. You can park there and wade out that way as well. If the tide is low you can wade out pretty much as far as you are comfortable going from shore. There are some deeper pot holes out there but for the most part it will be waist deep or so, even a good 1/2 mile or mile away from shore. At high tide you won't be able to go as far, but then you may want to just work along the mangroves for snook or redfish. Another place I've had success wading is at the other end of the park. Take the main road toward North beach. Take the last right before you get to the other roundabout. I think there is a sign for a picnic area. Follow the curvy road all the way back and you'll eventually see the water. There is a seawall that you can climb down and there are some grass flats there. This is along the edge of the main channel, so don't go too deep, there will be a lot of boat traffic and the tide can really rip through there with some strong currents as well.

I appreciate all the good advice! I tried both sides but unfortunately I didn't even get a nibble.
  • tampaflatsguytampaflatsguy Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Try fishing both sides around the toll station.
  • Gator6Gator6 Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    I have had some decent luck just to the left of the bridge leading to the T intersection (big flag is there) ...I was on my yak and launched right before the bridge.