Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

July Inshore Fishing Report

Haven't posted in awhile been extremely busy but here is my July report even though July is almost over but we are still in the dog days of summer that will follow us into August, but there are is still plenty of fishing opportunities available. Tarpon, Snook, Redfish, Blackdrum, sharks, and Scallops have been keeping my customer busy as of lately. Anglers willing to fish dusk till dawn have been doing the best, and they have been able to beat the heat.

Tarpon fishing is still going strong with fish just about everywhere right now, and all size from micro‘s to monsters . The beaches and passes are still holding plenty of fish, as well as inside Tampa bay. Most of the Tarpon trips I have been running have been dusk till dawn trips with multiple hook ups on each trip. The tarpon bite should remain consistent into October if you know where to look.

IMG_58491.jpg

Snook fishing has been good along the beaches and passes as long as the water is moving. Focusing on the stronger tides around the full and new moon will produce the best results. Dock light Snook fishing has also been good as well, but most of the fish are smaller fish ranging from 24”-32”. Live sardines and pinfish have been working the best free-lined in both of these areas.

Red fishing has finally started to pick back up with schools of fishes through the whole bay. Look for mullet schools to help locate the fish. On the higher tides I have been focusing in on docks and deep mangrove shorelines. Dead bait has been a sure fire way to get the reds to bite during the hot summer days, cut pinfish, mullet, ladyfish, and threadfins have all been producing well lately.

068.jpg

Black drum fishing has been very consistent along all the bay bridges with a lot of big fish being caught. Most of the fish have been ranging anywhere from 30-50 pounds. Scented soft plastics have been working, but half a blue crab is a sure fire way to get hooked up. High slack tide has been when the best bite as the fish are on the pilings feeding on the barnacles and oysters.

IMG_03703.jpg

Shark fishing has been very consistent as well with a lot of blacktips, bonnets, and smaller hammerheads being caught. Dead bait such as a mullet or mackerel are my go to baits when shark fishing. Look for the sharks to be around the channel edges and reefs throughout Tampa bay.

Last but not least scalloping in the Homosassa/ crystal river area has been great! Scalloping is a great way to avoid the heat, while catching a tasty meal. This is a fun activity for all ages and is very simple. Look for the scallops to be in the grassy areas in 3-8’ of water. The limit is 2 gallons per person or 10 gallons per vessel.

057.jpg
Tight lines,

Capt. Jared Simonetti
727-831-0111
www.CaptJared.com

Replies