Nearshore half day... PC - Saturday 7/26. Great 5 hour trip!

So, we'd talked about trying to go on a real trip, but again, work proved to be a bit taxing and I had no time to get everything together. My buddy / deckhand / first mate's grandfather also passed away and he wanted to spend time with family. So, we decided to take him, his brother and three cousins on a quick king trip. We cleared the rocks around 6:00 am and made bait pretty quickly. King bite was fast and furious, but it died off around 8:30 or 9:00. We boated 9 in fairly short order... all small fish, but it was fun on light tackle. BIggest fish came down deep on hardtail, but even that fish was only 10# or so. Typical for this time of year in close. The plan was to be at the island with the rest of his out of town family by noon. So, we had a couple hours on our hands. I had very little grouper gear on boat, but we decided to make about a 4 mile run (total of 7 miles) to try for some beeliners and / or gropuer.

Well, we were rewarded hansomly. The first spot was blacked out with beeliners. They were not large, but they were legal and the folks from GA / WI and MD had a ball catching them. We couldn't soak baits long enough for grouper due to snapper. After boxing about 20 beeliners, we moved offshore another mile. Given the time constraint and no other spots close, I made the decision to anchor on it right off the bat. Logic being, it'll either produce or it won't, but with only about 40 minutes to fish, we might as well make the most of it seeing as there were no other options within range. Anchored up and quickly boated 4 gag grouper... 14#, 13#, 10# and 22" fish... One red grouper... about a 14# fish. And the fish of the day was an honst 10# dolphin that came on the flat line. He was a solo fish, but we got him!

Great trip. We were back in the rocks at 11:30 with a bunch of happy folks. Not only did they have non stop action, they had an opportunity to get out of the house and let their minds focus on something else! They also enjoyed spending several hours at the island.

Nice dolphin coming over the rail, and a really neat unenhanced cell phone pic.

dolphin_zps30c06b35.jpg

Box of fish (all the kings were covered up in bonus fish. Gotta love it!)
DSCF3003_zpsa72e0b7c.jpg

DSCF3004_zps823ce972.jpg

4 of the 5 cousins. They fed the whole clan quite well Saturday night!

DSCF3006_zps09b1d3c5.jpg
"Whatcha doin' in my waters?"

Replies

• KlingerKlinger Posts: 1,783 Captain
    Good catch guys!! I really wanted to get out there, but putting the finishing touches on our annual Keys adventure has kept me busy.
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • wmflyfisherwmflyfisher Posts: 253 Deckhand
    As usual excellent catch. We went sat as well about 8 miles out and had our best day on the water this year. Caught a ton if nice snaps, a couple of grouper, and a ton of other fish mixed in. Similar to you we couldn't keep baits in the water long enough for more grouper. Good times!
  • Capt. Mickey LockeCapt. Mickey Locke Posts: 113 Officer
    Nice mess of shallow fish!!
  • LilOrangeLilOrange Posts: 1,187 Officer
    Great catch! Sounds like they all had a really good time. I love catching mingos on real light tackle when you find them like that. Real nice dolphin & cool pic of it. That ole flat line sure pays off on almost every trip. Every one you catch with it is like a bonus & more times than not it'll be a day-maker.

Livin' the Dream !
  • anglingarchitectanglingarchitect Posts: 1,492 Officer
    Well done as per usual.

Nice Gags.
    rent my beach house