Looking for a light weight highspeed narrow spool jigging reel

CannibleCannible Posts: 358 Officer
HS-15 JIGGING REELS, looking at that atm. I read and hear mixed reviews on the canyon line of reels. The release reels look pretty awesome as well. I'm looking in the 200-250$ range.

Replies

• Android77Android77 Posts: 474 Deckhand
    Somebody has a nice Accurate for sale on forum. It will last a lifetime.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2
  • ProduktProdukt Posts: 592 Officer
    I was going to suggest Avet's raptor J models, which have a narrow spool and high drag but their prices are nuts for the raptors, even the smallest size is $400
  • CannibleCannible Posts: 358 Officer
    I have and use an old mxl avent for live bait. When I first bought it almost every bearing went bad in under a year. Since I had them all replaced haven't had problem. But since then not so much of a fan. I'm looking for small and light the Release reel is 12.4 ounces, the Canyon is 13.8.
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,294 Moderator
    If the Release reel isnt available, I suggest looking at Daiwa's Saltist [single speed] lever drag. I have a 35 model which is a narrow spool, but at 21oz its a bit heavier than what you are after. The 30-size is only 14oz though. Give it a try next time you are at bass pro.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Hopefully Release Reels will build us a Narrow Spool Jigging Reel sooner than later...
    Penn is revamping the Baja Special line-up w/different sizes (it's Star Drag, but many Jiggers prefer those)
    Lots of so called 'expert jiggers' say the Japanese 'JDM' Ocea Jigger 4000P is the 'end all, be all' of Jigging Reels... but it's ~$500
    Personally I'm not taking Combos that cost >~$300 on a 'yak ;)
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • YaksquatchYaksquatch Posts: 499 Officer
    Very few jigging reels better than an old Shimano Trinidad 40N (the old gold reel)... if you can still find one...

JX raptor's are tough reels but I don't like the lack of instant anti-reverse for high speed jigging. It throws my rhythm off. Accurates are good if you can afford them.
    Thank you guys for your opinions, I really appreciate it. I've had a Trinidad 20 for 10 years now love it, the best reel I have ever owned.
  • PBTHPBTH Posts: 92 Deckhand
    Penn Fathom 25N. Same guts as a Torque, but with a cast aluminum frame instead of machined. Great and lightweight. I've used mine lots for AJs and deep dropping.
    I like the speed on it, drag seems a little less than I like.
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,294 Moderator
    Agree on the Fathom, going by specs alone, drag seems light, but its a nice reel regardless.
    Did anyone see the Leverdrag version being quietly rolled out soon?
    http://www.pennfishing.com/PENN%C2%AE-Fathom%E2%84%A2-Lever-Drag/1347897,default,pd.html#start=2

EDIT: only 3# less drag than a Daiwa Saltist ld35. Hmm, not bad at all!
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
    Looks decent for live baiting.
  • btm930btm930 Boca RatonPosts: 239 Deckhand
    i have the hs-15 never had an issue with it. hooked into a 70 lb yellowfin tuna with it on 30 lb line and the reel performed flawlessly(i was on a boat) hooked amberjacks/hammerheads etc on that little reel. I love it
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Yaksquatch wrote: »
    Very few jigging reels better than an old Shimano Trinidad 40N (the old gold reel)... if you can still find one...

JX raptor's are tough reels but I don't like the lack of instant anti-reverse for high speed jigging. It throws my rhythm off. Accurates are good if you can afford them.

The JDM Shimano Ocea Jigger 4000 is the same size as the old Trini 40N :)
    but supposedly smoother, better drag & a nicer/longer power handle & knob
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • bnzbnz Posts: 183 Deckhand
    I've used my release SG for jigging and fishing from the kayak this past year and really like the little reel. Even landed a 60 lb yellowfin jigging with it last fall. Lightweight, good drag, lifetime warranty (warranty service usually back to you within a week if ever any problems), just not considered a narrow spool reel. It does have more of a mechanical feel to it (like Accurates do) as opposed to buttery smooth (like shimanos).
    ty i really want one
  • YakNPompYakNPomp Posts: 227 Deckhand
    bnz wrote: »
    I've used my release SG for jigging and fishing from the kayak this past year and really like the little reel. Even landed a 60 lb yellowfin jigging with it last fall. Lightweight, good drag, lifetime warranty (warranty service usually back to you within a week if ever any problems), just not considered a narrow spool reel. It does have more of a mechanical feel to it (like Accurates do) as opposed to buttery smooth (like shimanos).

which handle option did you go with? Just wondering if the Magnum handle is uncomfortable as it looks. Wish they had an oblong option like Avets and others
  • Nick561Nick561 Posts: 339 Deckhand
    I just picked up the release real and used it on Sunday. So far so good. Super lightweight
  • YakNPompYakNPomp Posts: 227 Deckhand
    Nick561 wrote: »
    I just picked up the release real and used it on Sunday. So far so good. Super lightweight

looks awesome... you like the new handle?
  • Nick561Nick561 Posts: 339 Deckhand
    Ya so far.
    Take my money now