Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Boynton Beach Inlet 7/27 - Bonita, King and Stud Blackfin

A buddy from work came into a town few days early to get in some fishing. I was able to get out on Saturday evening an loaded up on bait in hopes that I could put him on some of the consistent summer sailfish that are all over the forums lately. Unfortunately when we cleared the inlet the lack of any North current dashed those hopes.
We worked all the way out to about 500' without any north current so we decided to move back in and set up on a drift just inside 200' running livies on flat lines and down on some weight as well....did not take long before were hooked up and it was little king...few minutes later and my sounder is showing huge schools of fish below the boat when the down and a flat line go off and after a few to big Bonita's are boat side and are dropped on ice for strips. Over the next hour we landed and release another 7 bonitas and everyone was starting to get worn down...(always a good sign when taking a someone from out of town fishing for the first time down here). So we had about a 30 minute lull in the action and it was decided that captain need to fight the next fish. About 2 minutes after that 15-30 rod with baitrunner on it takes a few quick runs. I grab the rod, came tight to the fish and this fish just started smoking drag...I thought for sure I had hooked into a king (can't lie in the back of my mind there were dreams of fish with racing stripes) the way it was staying down but then the fish made to more long runs on me. At this point I had started to drift back to the idea of why wouldn't it be another bonita.....Well long story short after getting my but kicked for about 20 minutes we get color and it is a blackfin...big blackfin... Weighed in at 22lbs. Certainly the biggest blackfin I have ever caught....GOOD EATS!
"Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

Replies