Flamingo Fishing Everglades National Park

I had a fun girls day fishing out of Flamingo. Did you know there are both crocodiles and alligators living together at the ramp? The mosquito's though, holy crap! Wear pants, long sleeves...we event saw people with bee-keeper hats on. I love fishing out of this area because you can get lost in the mangroves hunting down fish.

There was a ton of bait as the tide was making it's change in the morning. The water was filled with life from bait, sharks, huge stingrays, schools of jacks, snook paired up in sand holes and redfish in the grass beds. As we polled over the flat I would make casts as close to the stingray as possible because redfish and black drum will follow them looking for the available food the stingrays mud up. I would also cast ahead into the sand holes hoping for a snook and blind cast into the grass for redfish.

We saw it all! Even 3 tarpon varying in size from 50 to 150lbs feeding on the flat. The largest tarpon had it's complete back and tail out of the water chasing mullet. Our bait throughout the day were white soft plastics. We got the larger tarpon to follow the bait but as he lunged to the bait he missed and spooked - jetted right to the deeper channel nearby. What a rush though in such shallow water to watch. The smaller tarpon were seen rolling in the deeper channel.

I landed a redfish (white shirt) this particular day. In the red shirt, this was a redfish I spotted that was in a traveling school that was moving from a flat crossing over the channel.

The rest of the day we fished the mangrove island edges and there were 10 snook minimum tucked under each mangrove tree sticking out so on this one strip of island, hundreds of snook were seen. When the island started to turn, there was a huge log in the water where a handful of small 10 - 20lb tarpon were rolling.

We then thought we saw a baby manatee hanging out under it but was actually a monster goliath grouper! He ate a jack crevalle that was in the livewell and took us for a ride! He ate it like a goldfish inhaling a flake. So much fun, didn't last long going through our 80 lb leader.

So why did we leave with only one redfish release and a stinkin' jack? Because this was right after the full moon. Absolutely nothing would eat! The fish were lethargic and not interested in any bait.

Still, an epic day in my opinion to see so much in one short day. We were chased out by the afternoon storms unfortunately.

The drive to the ramp itself through the park is awesome. Last time we were there a 12 ft python crossed our path on the road. Bald eagles, crocodiles, so cool to see it all.

I will be heading out to the park again targeting tarpon on Tuesday before the SW wind starts rolling in the rest of the week. Can't wait, will post if any luck.
Capt. Brittney Novalsky
Florida Sportswoman
"Advancing the sport of women in the fishing industry through education to become better anglers and conservationists."
www.floridasportswoman.com
Personal Blog: www.facebook.com/fishingadventureswithbrittney

Replies

• PenzPenz Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the report.
  • sugarloafersugarloafer Posts: 195 Deckhand
    I was in flamingo one December and the wind changed at 2pm........bringing in mosquitoes so thick we left the dock lines on the dock just to get out of there fast.
    custom self built 400lb 4" draft 16' microskiff
    custom self built 34' cold molded diesel flybridge lobsterboat