Home Egret Boats

Ameratrail Trailers

Replies

• Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    FlatsBoy wrote: »
    That is the price you pay for a all welded fixed bunk trailer with hardware that won't rust out!

Price you pay for having one built by hacks.

Mine is welded and has hardware that does not rust out. It also has hardware that lets the bunks pivot so when it loads it can adjust as the hull shape changes. My custom trailer was put together by a company supervised by the MFG so it can be the best trailer money can buy. If Frank coordinated with a custom builder they could have one also.

Glen--- It happens on the heavier boats. I never looked at a 189 hull that was on an Ameratrail. My 2011 was scratch city.

BB -Your trailer is well thought out and will not scratch your hull. Those center bunks have been used for years.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • trponhuntertrponhunter Posts: 249 Deckhand
    If you want to see what a boat and trailer combo should look like - go see a Hell's Bay and it's trailer. It's a work of art how they work together. Hells Bay obviously knows who they are, and who their client is. Whether you think they are the best at what they do or not - they think that of themselves. Hell's Bay realizes that their mission is to be best in class. I thought Egret's were supposed to be bet in class, also? If you're best in class, or think of your company that way, then that should be your mission- be the best, provide the best, in terms of product, accessories and service - even with the trailer. It's a major disconnect to sell a mediocre trailer with a $60k skiff - actually a poor business decision, in my view. You can see from this forum the kind of confusion created when the manufacturer doesn't provide the very best - each time there is a component on the boat that is not the best, a long discussion breaks out - from certain hardware that is not top notch, to the splashewell, to the trailer now. If the best were the mission, there would be very little to talk about, plus, I've never seen anyone on this forum that expected any less when buying an Egret.
    *Previous - 2000 Egret 189 carbon w/ vmax 150 - twin rotating prop
    *Previous - 2008 Egret 189 carbon w/ ETEC 150
    *Previous 2010 Beavertail Vengence w/ETEC 90
    *Current - 2015 Beavertail BTV w/ Suzuki 90
  • HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    I agree with the points made by Trponhunter and Renegade. However I am finding it very difficult to navigate the morass of conflicting opinions about this. The reason I am still leaning towards the EZ Loader even though I know I could do better is because the boat builder is telling me it supports the hull best. Frankly I would happily pay twice as much for a trailer if it was the best quality and had the blessing of the boat manufacturer.

I am going to go see Pete's Rolls Axle Saturday if the weather doesn't keep him at home. It will be hard to judge though, because Pete has already told me the bottom of the hull is scuffed. That's going to skew my assessment. And I would rather have a torsion axle.

I will also touch base with Sport Trail today. I think I had left him a voicemail but haven't heard back. The logistics of getting the Sport Trail built are tough and I really don't want to be the first guinea pig for the 189. Man is it a sweet trailer...

I just want the best trailer money can buy for my "best flats boat money can buy" that does the best job of transporting the boat safely to and from the ramp. Says easy, does hard!

P.S. I do think Hells Bay makes the best poling skiffs. Looked hard at the Marquesa. Looked at the way the Professional sat on the trailer at the ramp. I was very impressed and yes, the trailer was part and parcel to my impressions of the brand. I am going with Egret because it will do a better job on the majority of my boating activities. If I were a more seasoned or passionate super-skinny fisherman, I would be getting a Hells Bay.
  • OldHewes18RedOldHewes18Red Posts: 308 Deckhand
    Call Tate with Continental. He puts together some great trailer packages.

He also has a Hells Bay with a nice custom continental under it.

(954) 648-4267
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,390 Officer
    I will keep an eye on it and keep you posted. I'll check the white plastic skids but they are extremely slick and I don't see how they could possibly mar the gel coat.

Time will tell if they do. The bunks carpet shouldn't be a problem since the keel is riding up on those center plastic bunks. That is what i worry about over time. Keep a eye on it and see how it holds up and give up a report back. I hope they don't also!
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Glen--- It happens on the heavier boats. I never looked at a 189 hull that was on an Ameratrail. My 2011 was scratch city.

My 189 was the same way on the Ameratrail!

Glen next time out look at the carpet on your front center bunks you'll see the carpet matting down and rubbing away. It's not as bad on the 189 as the 2011 because of the length and increased load of the hull coming onto the trailer.
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    I agree with the points made by Trponhunter and Renegade. However I am finding it very difficult to navigate the morass of conflicting opinions about this. The reason I am still leaning towards the EZ Loader even though I know I could do better is because the boat builder is telling me it supports the hull best. Frankly I would happily pay twice as much for a trailer if it was the best quality and had the blessing of the boat manufacturer.

I am going to go see Pete's Rolls Axle Saturday if the weather doesn't keep him at home. It will be hard to judge though, because Pete has already told me the bottom of the hull is scuffed. That's going to skew my assessment. And I would rather have a torsion axle.

I will also touch base with Sport Trail today. I think I had left him a voicemail but haven't heard back. The logistics of getting the Sport Trail built are tough and I really don't want to be the first guinea pig for the 189. Man is it a sweet trailer...

I just want the best trailer money can buy for my "best flats boat money can buy" that does the best job of transporting the boat safely to and from the ramp. Says easy, does hard!

P.S. I do think Hells Bay makes the best poling skiffs. Looked hard at the Marquesa. Looked at the way the Professional sat on the trailer at the ramp. I was very impressed and yes, the trailer was part and parcel to my impressions of the brand. I am going with Egret because it will do a better job on the majority of my boating activities. If I were a more seasoned or passionate super-skinny fisherman, I would be getting a Hells Bay.

Guys, If you are buying a boat and do want a scratch on it. Put it in a safe place and forget about it. If you fish it like I've fished my boat it will have scratches, dings and battle scares. If you are going to try to reach fish you will eventually pole the boat over logs, oysters. If you leave tied to a chickie, a dock or anchor the rub rail is going to get marks on it. If you're going to pull up on a beach in the everglades for a camping trip the bow is going to crush some shells and leave some scratches.

The scratches on the bottom of my boat are from two things. Fishing like I described above and the slicks I had on the trailer bunks initially. The plastic slicks and allow for the boat to slide off the trailer with ease. Additionally, they will allow the boat to slide sideways too. When this happens the hull side got scratched by the fenders. The bottom also got scuffed where the slicks are. I installed straps on the back of the bunks and attached them to the D- Rings on the transom which keeps the boat from siding left or right.

I agree that if you want to be the best in your class, then that at least in my opinion it includes everything. I worked toward that goal everyday when I worked with Egret.

Bottom lines is that I bought it to use it. If you are going to fish it as hard as I have in the backcountry it's going to get scratched. I'll leave you with this " a well build boat is still a well built used boat". Tight Lines... Pete
  • Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
    Guys, If you are buying a boat and do want a scratch on it. Put it in a safe place and forget about it. If you fish it like I've fished my boat it will have scratches, dings and battle scares. If you are going to try to reach fish you will eventually pole the boat over logs, oysters. If you leave tied to a chickie, a dock or anchor the rub rail is going to get marks on it. If you're going to pull up on a beach in the everglades for a camping trip the bow is going to crush some shells and leave some scratches.

The scratches on the bottom of my boat are from two things. Fishing like I described above and the slicks I had on the trailer bunks initially. The plastic slicks and allow for the boat to slide off the trailer with ease. Additionally, they will allow the boat to slide sideways too. When this happens the hull side got scratched by the fenders. The bottom also got scuffed where the slicks are. I installed straps on the back of the bunks and attached them to the D- Rings on the transom which keeps the boat from siding left or right.

I agree that if you want to be the best in your class, then that at least in my opinion it includes everything. I worked toward that goal everyday when I worked with Egret.

Bottom lines is that I bought it to use it. If you are going to fish it as hard as I have in the backcountry it's going to get scratched. I'll leave you with this " a well build boat is still a well built used boat". Tight Lines... Pete

YUP!!! I've owned my bird for one month now.. Scuffed the skeg pretty good running across an incredibly shallow flat at low tide and bumped the side on the plastic dock where I unload. Small amount of weeping by yours truly both times. However, I will pound it on the throttle and continue to run skinny(for me) because that's where the big reds are. It's the reason I bought it. I also can cross the sound and it's bathtub like conditions at 40mph plus..... Grinning as I pass the other boats bow slapping and getting soaked. If I happen upon an oyster bar or what we call the rock garden, I will carefully press on, knowing the labyrinth of demons below. If I bump one, I will let out a curse or three to the fish lords and drop the pilot as I'm picking up my rod of choice. When and if the time ever comes to sell it, I will repair the old girl to the beauty of her younger years and move on to the next best thing. As my buddy Pete says..... Til then, Tight Lines!!
    Need a little time off...For Bad Behavior....

2014 Egret 2011 /Yamaha 250 SHO - sold
    2019 Pathfinder 2500 hybrid 350 Verado
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 606 Officer
    Gentlemen, it's a trailer. All mentioned do their job, very well.
    There is less discussion at a hen party regarding cradles and cribs for infants.
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.
  • mastercastermastercaster Posts: 1,259 Officer
    If I happen upon an oyster bar or what we call the rock garden, I will carefully press on, knowing the labyrinth of demons below.

The rock garden is my biggest fear in the boat, I still idle at least 15-30 mins going to some spots behind there, I just see too many bad things in the water to be running around. Fishing in the winter back there is amazing but otherwise that place is a nightmare. Some of those rocks would punch a hole right through the hull even at a slow speed, not to mention the hell they are on props and foots.
  • 91tiger91tiger Posts: 555 Officer
    I haven't ever had a boat that didn't have wear marks from the bunks, including my Hells Bay on a Ramlin and my Egret on an Ameritrail. But its under the hull so I have never cared...the bunks hide most of the marks while on the trailer and they are under water when off. I fish the same areas as Pete and marks form the bunks are the least of my worries.
    My 2011 had deep scratches you could see just standing next to the boat on the bow.i was disappointed to say the least especially after buying the trailer twice. I care about scratches and keep my boats nice. Some people don't care. It's what makes the world go around.
    My 2011 had deep scratches you could see just standing next to the boat on the bow.i was disappointed to say the least especially after buying the trailer twice. I care about scratches and keep my boats nice. Some people don't care. It's what makes the world go around.

Were the Scratches from your trailer like this?

A_zps83ba3cd5.jpg

Or more like this?

B_zps6710abac.jpeg
  • cairotroutcairotrout Georgia Posts: 159 Deckhand
    Now if Hells Bay can figure out how to make a decent boat to go with that great trailer they may be on to something!:kick
    The rock garden is my biggest fear in the boat, I still idle at least 15-30 mins going to some spots behind there, I just see too many bad things in the water to be running around. Fishing in the winter back there is amazing but otherwise that place is a nightmare. Some of those rocks would punch a hole right through the hull even at a slow speed, not to mention the hell they are on props and foots.

Yea, Id like to see some of our south Fl counter parts have a run at our llittle garden. I have tracts all through the garden for different tides but havent take n the new bird in yet. But like they say down in Taylor County....."Theys some big a$$ monstas in dem dam' rocks!!"

cairotrout wrote: »
    Now if Hells Bay can figure out how to make a decent boat to go with that great trailer they may be on to something!:kick

For all of you guys who may not know.... We call this type of statement stirring the ***** in South GA!

Yes it is. We call it the same here in Egret land. The HB and Egret are two different boats. Flats boats vrs Microskiffs. Designed to do different things with a whole set of different compromises.
    They are good skiffs that's for sure
  • UFGator86UFGator86 Posts: 99 Deckhand
    I would like to thank everyone that participated on this thread for making me feel better about being trailer crazy. This 11 page thread has made me feel much less trailer crazy or least less alone on that front. A little Orpine soap and some fresh water goes a long way on any trailer built with quality components. A quality build you can get to quickly key. B&S in North Central Florida takes great care of lots of us center state guys that drive every weekend.

Let's leave the HB guys alone they are a bit sensitive from having to watch the forecast so closely!
    Lots of good information and some nonsense! Well maybe allot of Nonsence!
    Glad it helped! :cool:
    For all of you guys who may not know.... We call this type of statement stirring the ***** in South GA!

Ok it's appears that we can now move on to the next item on the agenda. It's Friday morning, everybody is getting ready to get out this weekend. So now it's time for a little trash talk.

Two professors at a recent convention one from GA. the other from Florida were discussion Plate Tectonics. due to the number of earthquakes, tidal waves etc. around the world and more importantly near us in the Caribbean. So the professor from Florida ask the professor from GA. Do you know why Florida has not slipped off from the Us land mass. the Ga. professors thinks for a second and says why NO! The Florida professor says ...:grin" Cause Georgia SUCKS!" :grin
    Ok it's appears that we can now move on to the next item on the agenda. It's Friday morning, everybody is getting ready to get out this weekend. So now it's time for a little trash talk.

Two professors at a recent convention one from GA. the other from Florida were discussion Plate Tectonics. due to the number of earthquakes, tidal waves etc. around the world and more importantly near us in the Caribbean. So the professor from Florida ask the professor from GA. Do you know why Florida has not slipped off from the Us land mass. the Ga. professors thinks for a second and says why NO! The Florida professor says ...:grin" Cause Georgia SUCKS!" :grin

That maybe so but Florida definitely BLOWS!!! you wouldn't need an Egret if it didn't!!!!:dance:dance:dance:dance

That maybe so but Florida definitely BLOWS!!! you wouldn't need an Egret if it didn't!!!!:dance:dance:dance:dance

You couldn't resist...I love it. I threw that at there just for you:grin We live here cause we like getting Be..Load.:grin How are you making out with the Kayaks? ... Pete
    Him and his dog love their kayak!
    You couldn't resist...I love it. I threw that at there just for you:grin We live here cause we like getting Be..Load.:grin How are you making out with the Kayaks? ... Pete

Haha. Yea man, I can take it good as I can give it...Smack that is!! The kayaks are cool. Gonna take them down to the house this weekend. I usually get down to the beach house around 5-6 pm on Saturdays. I also usually stay down on Monday morning solo. The kayak is simple to slip in off my dock and hit up my neighbors docks to catch a few reds without having to put the bird in at the ramp. My GF wanted one so I got us a pair. They're actually pretty comfortable and relaxing. The Jackson big rig I bought for myself as well as the Coosa I got her have incredibly comfortable seats with adjustable lumbar support. They're both stand up versions and have a lot of storage. Mine even has a stand up bar to lean against when sight fishing. They will by no means take over the bird but for short time limited trips, they're ideal. Also, Cairo Trout.....kiss my a$$.:rolleyes

What trailer are you using? You met with Pete and looked at his Rolls.
    I'm going with the EZ Loader. I know I will have extra maintenance and may be buying a rolls 5 years down the road but I am OK with that.
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    I'm going with the EZ Loader. I know I will have extra maintenance and may be buying a rolls 5 years down the road but I am OK with that.

Hope your entire hub and wheel don't fall off going down the highway at 60 mph. It happened to my Ez loader. While the trailer fell to the pavement scraping along on the hub and I watched the wheel going flying by the front of the vehicle rolling down the highway as I came t a quick and very loud stop I thought to myself, I knew keeping this freaking EZ loader for an extra month was a bad idea. When the flatbed came to haul away the entire carcass of a trailer with the boat still on it, I knew EZ loader was history in my garage. It came with my boat when I got it so I had no choice. But I'll never have another one of those. You get what you pay for and since you do have a choice I would reconsider. Too many other superior options. The difference in price isn't that much and the difference in quality is substantive. Plus, you wont have to spend another $3k+ in 60 months.
    How long did you have it before that happened?