Home Egret Boats

Ameratrail Trailers

Replies

• HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    I am ordering the Ameritrail! 91Tiger told me he loves the trailer and the lower profile for loading. He said the package tows straight as an arrow. Also spoke to another local owner not on the forum and he loves his. People are telling me the bunk issue is on the 2011, but even that can be corrected for.

Yes I would like to see your rig at the park next weekend.
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    I am ordering the Ameritrail! 91Tiger told me he loves the trailer and the lower profile for loading. He said the package tows straight as an arrow. Also spoke to another local owner not on the forum and he loves his. People are telling me the bunk issue is on the 2011, but even that can be corrected for.

Yes I would like to see your rig at the park next weekend.

Good I think you made a good choice. Check into the airtights. I'll shoot you a PM if something changes. I'm usually at the gas station at 6:00AM.
    Franks a great guy. I consider him a good friend. We are just as passionate about Egret boats, But we don't agree on trailers. :grin I tried selling him trailers in the past, but we coundn't get the numbers to work. He's too dam far.

As far as a cheap shot, Franks said don't spend the money on a good trailer. Is that any differnet than me saying don't spend the money on a good boat. When you started asking questions you said you had around $1400.00 to spend on extras. I told you to get a better trailer. Now your looking into it. Which is great that what these boat builds are about.

I have a 11 year old Rolls Axle trailer. I have put over 100,000 miles on it. It's all documented go to AIRTIGHTHUBS.COM read all the testimonials. I'm not afraid to trailer my boat any anywhere. I know that the trailer will not fail. In fact, I did a TV commercial for Bennett Marine - trim tabs about the 3 things that can't break but that's another story.

If you want tomorrow morning call Dan he's the owner of Rolls Axle tell him Pete Silot ask you to call him. That you are getting an 18 Egret, and you need pricing on a single axle 1935 with 4 bunks and airthight hubs. The options are Aluminum wheels with radial tires and LED light. If he needs measurement I can send them to him. If you want to see an 11 year old one you can come to the house an see it.

Yes there alot of info you have to sort thru on these forums to figureout what true and whats BS. There are a lot of keyboard experts on the internet. If Frank would have sent you on a good sea trial you would have gotten a better understanding of the whole Egret build process from A to Z. Do you even know why there is an Egret boat company and why it was started? How the 18 was designed and how they are made? Did he tell where the batteries are at and why? Did he explain the the engineering behind the build? You getting a hell of a boat and probably don't realize what your really getting. If you style of fishing doesn't change which it will. This boat will enable you to do things you couldn't do with the one you have now. But in a few years you'll see what I mean.

If you do a search on Egret Boats. You will find that I have said in the past. "I will not trade my used EGRET for a new anything". My boat is 19 years old and I still feel that way.

Good Luck... Pete

Thank you. I have known for awhile that a better trailer was needed. However Frank does not seem to agree with me when I bring it up. Frank has had to set me straight on other BS from this forum. It's hard to know when to trust him and when to push back.

I agree 100% with Renegade that for the market space Egret is playing in they fall far short in a strategic partnership with a trailer company that is on par with the Egret brand.

I would like to learn more about the physics of the boat. I am making a visit to the factory on 9/12/14 during a business trip and hopefully then I can learn more. Frank says my boat may be done by that time (except the Power Pole apparently they have a backlog on their orders) so I can operate it. I will insist on being further educated.

Hope to see you at the park next weekend. Don't worry, I can't follow you to your fishing spots because my CS can't keep up and keep me dry at the same time. :grin
  • 91tiger91tiger Posts: 555 Officer
    Your next thread needs to be what options to get on your Ameritrail. It think Phil will have some good insight on this. No question get the airtight hubs on it. I also like my pole lights, be sure to have Frank put silicone on the connections so they don't vibrate loose. They have been trouble free since I did that and they really make the boat much more visible at night. I like the ratchet straps on mine but you need to spray them with Corrosion Blocker periodically and I still expect to replace them every 4 or 5 years, but they have been great so far. You need to decide if you want a folding tongue or not. Advantages/Disadvantages to both. I would recommend having them apply Shark Hide at Ameritrail, I'm still ticked with Phil that he didn't tell me about that option and his trailer looks better than mine.
    Have Frank build you a set of wooden ramps to pull your trailer up on so you can tilt the motor down for service. He did a set for me and they work well, I wish they woulld get the rig two inches taller and they would be prefect.
    91tiger wrote: »
    Have Frank build you a set of wooden ramps to pull your trailer up on so you can tilt the motor down for service. He did a set for me and they work well, I wish they woulld get the rig two inches taller and they would be prefect.

Go to the home depot buy a 2X6 cut it into 4 2ft. sections and nail two of the together. and then drive up on it. Or if you are one of the guys like me with a short concret slab back up a little further on to the grass.
    Or have Frank do exactly what Pete said.:grin
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    If Frank orders the Ameratrail for you make sure you are privy to the options that come with it.Do not assume he is ordering it with what you want on it. He may but ask. The Air Tights are a must in my opinion. You can get ss hubs, winch, coupler, & fenders. Alum wheels, spare tire with or without hub and bearing, F2 jack, and walking board.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
    Renegade nailed it. That's why I was saying find out what people like on their Ameritrail and like he said do not assume Frank will order it with those items. You have to specify it. I even called Ameritrail and made sure they had my order exactly the way I wanted it.
  • kerleekerlee Posts: 66 Greenhorn
    Does anyone know or has anyone asked if they can put the boat a little higher so that the motor can be trimmed all the way down? Maybe a good question to ask them???
    I think they could. I didn't like the fact that the trailer was so wide (102 inches). It makes it very tight in my garage. They said they could make it narrower but the boat would sit higher. I decided to keep it standard so I could load the boat without getting in it.
  • Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
    Man I wish Kevin would build a 189 trailer! The balance of the skid material and carpeted bunks makes loading a breeze. When I'm loading the boat and bow passes the side loading guides, I bump it out of gear and she slides right on. It took me a five hour drive to get my trailer but I'm glad I did. If its low tide, I can back in to the hubs and gently push the boat off the trailer by hand. You don't have to dunk the hubs after a long drive. To each their own but I really love my Sport Trail. Just enough clearance to trim the motor all the way down for maintenance, hooking it up to the hose and draining all the water out, and enough space between the bunks and the boat to wash it on the trailer without scuffing my knuckles up. That being said, that Rolls looks sweet as well. Get whatever you want, it's your build. Having just gone through the build process, I know too well how tough decisions can be. Stop and think each step in the process out for YOUR application. Bet your bottom that will give YOU the best build. Good luck!

PS.... I have the Motor Mate SS as well. Easy on and off. Supports well. You will not be able to use one on an Ameritrail. I ordered Cairo Trout one for his new to him Egret when I ordered mine. When his Ameritrail got here, he couldn't let the motor down far enough to use it. Just food for thought.
    Need a little time off...For Bad Behavior....

2014 Egret 2011 /Yamaha 250 SHO - sold
    2019 Pathfinder 2500 hybrid 350 Verado
  • polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,053 Officer
    My wedge works on my Ameritrail as an alternative to the Motor Mate.
  • kerleekerlee Posts: 66 Greenhorn
    I emailed Ameratrail this morning. Not a problem to build the trailer so the boat sits higher to allow the motor to trim all the way down. Just won't be able to launch as shallow and the trailer will be narrower. Just a trade off as to what is important to the buyer.
    I think they could. I didn't like the fact that the trailer was so wide (102 inches). It makes it very tight in my garage. They said they could make it narrower but the boat would sit higher. I decided to keep it standard so I could load the boat without getting in it.
    I spoke to Chad at Rolls Axle today. Price was really good, $2750 or so for the 189. He said they have made improvements that prevent the trailer from floating as they did in the past. He also said they could design the rubber piece in the suspension precisely to the weight of my loaded rig to prevent the hull damage issue you sometimes see on the forums about them.

The rolls axle also has adjustable bunks that support the hull best. I mentioned it to Frank and he confirmed that the only known issue with them is the floating, which the claim to have addressed.

I will be following up further and posting more here.

Pete, is it true you want to buy my Carolina Skiff? I was surprised when I heard that.
  • UFGator86UFGator86 Posts: 99 Deckhand
    B&S Trailer in North Central Florida builds a fine custom trailer. I'm on my third Egret and have had B & S trailers made for all of them. Cliff is the owner and second generation trailer builder. 352-591-2161 Reddick FL between Gainesville and Ocala.
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,390 Officer
    I spoke to Chad at Rolls Axle today. Price was really good, $2750 or so for the 189. He said they have made improvements that prevent the trailer from floating as they did in the past. He also said they could design the rubber piece in the suspension precisely to the weight of my loaded rig to prevent the hull damage issue you sometimes see on the forums about them..

PM Kevin FishinMcNut
    He just purchased one several months ago. My only issues is the range of travel that that suspension has compared to a normal torsion axle!
    FlatsBoy wrote: »
    PM Kevin FishinMcNut
    He just purchased one several months ago. My only issues is the range of travel that that suspension has compared to a normal torsion axle!

Phil is a member of the Ameratrail Mafia!!!
    My big worry is that the boat builder strongly recommends the EZ Loader. Says it is best for the hull. So here I come getting the Rolls and then I have a hull issue. Boy would I feel like a moron.

Anybody have anything legitimately negative to say about the EZ Loader other than having to replace a few pieces every several years?
    My big worry is that the boat builder strongly recommends the EZ Loader. Says it is best for the hull.

There is your answer then! :Horse
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Phil is a member of the Ameratrail Mafia!!!

Get your facts straight! I'm offended you called me a member when I'm the DON! :blahblah

How's that Ram Rod trailer you have under that Trader Boat of yours! :grin

Hope the wheels don't fall off on the way to Louisiana this year!
    My big worry is that the boat builder strongly recommends the EZ Loader. Says it is best for the hull. So here I come getting the Rolls and then I have a hull issue. Boy would I feel like a moron.

Anybody have anything legitimately negative to say about the EZ Loader other than having to replace a few pieces every several years?
    Yea. Its a cheap trailer. Pete has been using the Rolls for a long time and knows Egret Boats more than anyone here.

Tell your boat builder to endorse a high quality trailer like his competitors do. I do not know how to stress this to Frank. People care about their trailers.I have told this to him and he will not listen.
    Get your facts straight! I'm offended you called me a member when I'm the DON! :blahblah

How's that Ram Rod trailer you have under that Trader Boat of yours! :grin

Hope the wheels don't fall off on the way to Louisiana this year!

Its not damaging my boat like the Ameratrail(Boat Scratcher) is doing to yours. Soon you will have a hole worn through from that POS.
    Did those rear straps rub your gel coat off the transom yet since there must be a shortage of Aluminium at Ram Rod trailers that they couldn't extend the frame a few inches to accommodate the hull? :willynilly

How did those new seals work out is there water in your hubs yet? :shrug
    That sucks that they leaked grease all over the place on a new trailer!
    Did those rear straps rub your gel coat off the transom yet since there must be a shortage of Aluminium at Ram Rod trailers that they couldn't extend the frame a few inches to accommodate the hull? :willynilly

How did those new seals work out is there water in your hubs yet? :shrug
    That sucks that they leaked grease all over the place on a new trailer!
    Now your reaching. Let's get out the real truth. How many times has Ameratrail reconfigured your bunks?? And there still screwed up. Why don't you have them add more rollers!!! Before you know it you will own a very expensive ronco roller trailer. Ohhh wait. You already own one. Post some pix of those rollers!!
    How far did you half to bend over when you bought that single axle no brakes Ram Rod trailer you paid 5 grand for a 18 foot boat!:grin

Hope that anodized frame doesn't flake off from the saltwater or turn black! Then you would of been truly screwed twice by a trailer company! :dance
    It's a boat builder offering the best they can find and charging for it. Go figure.
    Yea. Its a cheap trailer. Pete has been using the Rolls for a long time and knows Egret Boats more than anyone here.

Tell your boat builder to endorse a high quality trailer like his competitors do. I do not know how to stress this to Frank. People care about their trailers.I have told this to him and he will not listen.

I'm going to see Pete's this weekend.

This forum is great theater by the way.
    How far did you half to bend over when you bought that single axle no brakes Ram Rod trailer you paid 5 grand for a 18 foot boat!:grin

Hope that anodized frame doesn't flake off from the saltwater or turn black! Then you would of been truly screwed twice by a trailer company! :dance

Hate to bust your bubble on this one. I worked for the first trailer manufacture in Florida that started the Anodized trailers. Now the anodizing on the I-Beams is no different than what is on the poling platforms and T-top. So it's not going to flake off or turn black. The only problem with the anodized trailers is the cuts and drill holes. Keep it clean and protected.

Would somene please explain why a submersible trailer needs rollers:huh Keep Smiling... Pete
    It's a boat builder offering the best they can find and charging for it. Go figure.

I guess that a great batch of cool aid there offering at Hells Bay!:shrug

I love the one about that disclaimer they make you sign if you don't use there Ram Rod trailer! That they jedi mind trick you into buying that if there is any hull damage from any other trailer they void your hull warranty! :hairraiser

Now that is a great racket right there I tell ya!:wink