Home Egret Boats

Ameratrail Trailers

Mark29860Mark29860 Posts: 12 Greenhorn
Hello everyone, I appreciate all the help and advice I've been given on this forum getting closer to my boat build probably around Sep. I wanted to ask about trailers most on here seem to have the Ameratrail two questions first I've always been told to store your boat with the motor trimmed all the way down and second most of my fishing will be on SC lakes where the ramps are steep, do y'all think I will have any trouble loading and unloading my boat on a steep ramp. Thanks
Mark

Replies

• Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    Mark29860 wrote: »
    Hello everyone, I appreciate all the help and advice I've been given on this forum getting closer to my boat build probably around Sep. I wanted to ask about trailers most on here seem to have the Ameratrail two questions first I've always been told to store your boat with the motor trimmed all the way down and second most of my fishing will be on SC lakes where the ramps are steep, do y'all think I will have any trouble loading and unloading my boat on a steep ramp. Thanks
    Mark

There's a trailer company in South Carolina that make a very nice aluminum trailers. I can't remember the name off the top of my head. I ordered them thru the Sea Hunt Boat factory when I was buying boats from them. But if you put some names out there I'm sure I can recognize it.

In Florida we have several trailer builders that make some very nice trailers. My trailer is a Rolls Axle. Everthing on it is aluminum or stainless. When I said everything is aluminum I'm including the axle. The hubs are stainless. Originally it had a galvanized winch, I swapped it to a stainless winch.

As long as the trailer is set correctly, you shouldn't have any problems unloading or loading the boat.

Tight Lines... Pete
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    Ameratrail trailers are ok. Rolls Axle are better.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • kerleekerlee Posts: 66 Greenhorn
    Wesco Trailers?

"There's a trailer company in South Carolina that make a very nice aluminum trailers. I can't remember the name off the top of my head. I ordered them thru the Sea Hunt Boat factory when I was buying boats from them. But if you put some names out there I'm sure I can recognize it."
  • FishinMcNutFishinMcNut Posts: 536 Officer
    My trailer is a Rolls Axle. Everthing on it is aluminum or stainless. When I said everything is aluminum I'm including the axle. The hubs are stainless.
    Same here Pete. Love my new Rolls...
    kerlee wrote: »
    Wesco Trailers?

"There's a trailer company in South Carolina that make a very nice aluminum trailers. I can't remember the name off the top of my head. I ordered them thru the Sea Hunt Boat factory when I was buying boats from them. But if you put some names out there I'm sure I can recognize it."

That them.
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,390 Officer
    The Ameratrail is a great trailer and sits low and tows awesome. The Sport Trail trailer is a all welded trailer and the attention to detail is second to none.

See the difference how low the Ameratrail sits. It has it advantages and disadvantages.

189 Ameratrail
    70_zpsbe09994e.jpg

189 EZ Loader
    157_zpse95753d1.jpg

Moccasin 210 Ameratrail
    1237381_692026517474367_250787194_o_zps7bccf322.jpg

Side By Side Ez Loader Ameratrail 2011
    Trailersidebyside_zps8e2c6f07.jpg

Sport Trail 2011
    imagejpeg_0o_zps7dd22fb9.jpg
  • Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
    FlatsBoy wrote: »
    The Ameratrail is a great trailer and sits low and tows awesome. The Sport Trail trailer is a all welded trailer and the attention to detail is second to none.

See the difference how low the Ameratrail sits. It has it advantages and disadvantages.

189 Ameratrail
    70_zpsbe09994e.jpg

189 EZ Loader
    157_zpse95753d1.jpg

Moccasin 210 Ameratrail
    1237381_692026517474367_250787194_o_zps7bccf322.jpg

Side By Side Ez Loader Ameratrail 2011
    Trailersidebyside_zps8e2c6f07.jpg

Sport Trail 2011
    imagejpeg_0o_zps7dd22fb9.jpg

ALL I know is that black 2011 on the Sport Trail is one Bad MOFO!!:Rockon
    Need a little time off...For Bad Behavior....

2014 Egret 2011 /Yamaha 250 SHO - sold
    2019 Pathfinder 2500 hybrid 350 Verado
    I have a Sport Trail on my 2011 and friggin love it. Customer Service absolutely 2nd to none.

• cairotroutcairotrout Georgia Posts: 159 Deckhand
    I have the Ameritrail and really like it. But it sits too low for my comfort. Go with the Sport Trail
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,225 Officer
    I have the Wesco aluminum trailer under my Sea Hunt that I bought when I lived in SC. No problems at all. The one place that you may have a problem with a "low slung" trailer is at the top of a steep ramp where it transitions to a flat area. They tend to bottom out there.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    Frank told me that the EZ Loaders last 6-7 years before they need significant refurbishing, at which time the refurb would cost you around $600, or you could buy a brand new EZ Loader for the same money you would have already paid for the Ameritrail or other premium trailer incremental to the EZ Loader cost.

In other words, according to the boat builder, the Ameritrail only starts paying for itself after 12 years vs. the EZ Loader. Frank asked me if I wanted to look good going down the road or tow my boat. There is nothing wrong with wanting to look good going down the road, especially with a $60K flats boat. But, considering that the Ameritrail has reported issues with the bunks and that it rides very low and threatens to damage the skeg or lower unit if you forget to trim it up, I am taking my chances with the EZ Loader, at least for the first go around. If it doesn't work out, maybe I'll go with a better trailer down the road.

BTW, the Sport Trail is sexy as hell. Just watching the video had me reaching for my wallet. But he hasn't made one for a 189 yet, and Frank talked down from my exuberance.
    Frank still hasn't learned that people care about their trailers.He has a custom boat company and uses ronco trailers.Custom builders that have a grasp of the market share they sell under will line up a trailer that is in the top tier like their boat. I can list examples of builders that do have a good grasp of this concept but I think anyone can see this is true.

Get the SS hardware option.
    I will say Frank tried to sell me on an EZ loader because of the money difference. My 2011 trailer was 4740.00 OTD. The EZ was around 3000.00 or so. I simply did not want a bolt together adjustable trailer that sits way high off the ground. The Sport Trail was for the money, the best option. And I agree that it sucks Kevin at Sport Trail hasn't built a trailer for a 189 yet because it is an incredible trailer. The Rolls looks sweet to me as well, just not sure what they cost. Never priced one. Ill put it like this.... When your firstborn came into this world, I hope you didn't by the cheapest car seat to haul them around in... You're gonna be much more particular about that bird when you get it!!! I always think when I see a nice boat on a mundane trailer, dang... Sux they ran out of money!!!

Frank told me that the EZ Loaders last 6-7 years before they need significant refurbishing, at which time the refurb would cost you around $600, or you could buy a brand new EZ Loader for the same money you would have already paid for the Ameritrail or other premium trailer incremental to the EZ Loader cost.

In other words, according to the boat builder, the Ameritrail only starts paying for itself after 12 years vs. the EZ Loader. Frank asked me if I wanted to look good going down the road or tow my boat. There is nothing wrong with wanting to look good going down the road, especially with a $60K flats boat. But, considering that the Ameritrail has reported issues with the bunks and that it rides very low and threatens to damage the skeg or lower unit if you forget to trim it up, I am taking my chances with the EZ Loader, at least for the first go around. If it doesn't work out, maybe I'll go with a better trailer down the road.

BTW, the Sport Trail is sexy as hell. Just watching the video had me reaching for my wallet. But he hasn't made one for a 189 yet, and Frank talked down from my exuberance.

I'm not going to tell you what you have to buy. I can't tell you how many people spend 5% of the total purchase to transport 95%. If I were to put my salesman hat on. I would say to you. "The quailty remains long after the price is forgotten" So if you don't care about quailty keep the Carolina Skiff. With the money you save you can buy another Carolina Skiff in 6-7 years.

Good Luck... Pete
  • Amurleopard1967Amurleopard1967 Posts: 267 Deckhand
    Same here Pete. Love my new Rolls...
    The EZ loader works fine but get the stainless steel hardware for sure. I replaced all of my nuts and bolts within two years because I got the galvanized and didnt know any better back then. I then replaced my hubs and axle and I went with Rolls axle they gave me an aluminum axle and stainless hubs and couldnt be happier. The stainless hubs and aluminum axle actually was cheaper then the galvanized one from ez loader so for me it was a no brainer.
  • Mark29860Mark29860 Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    Thanks guys, there's a wealth of information on this forum and I appreciate the different opinions. I will have to check on the Rolls trailer and I doubt Sport Trail will of made a trailer for the 189 by Sep. Thanks for the help
    As soon as I sell my current boat, I am going to place an order for a 189 as well. It has been great to follow all the posts about the recent and upcoming builds. I have talked to a few of the guys on the board already. Kevin at Sport Trail only needs to measure a 189 to get the pattern. My options when I buy my 189 are to ask Frank who is the closest owner to Kevin, contact them and see if I can make it worth their time and gas to take their 189 by Kevin to get a measurement or use the pattern off the 2011 just shorter. Per a conversation with Mark29860 regarding he had with Frank, the 189 trailer is the same as the 2011 just shorter. I know when I have seen the pictures on this forum of the boats side by side, the 2011 looked wider? But that may be due to the cap and not really affect the hull shape that affects the fit of the trailer. Any comments on whether, anyone would be comfortable getting a 189 trailer from Kevin just using a shorter version of the 2011, with measurements from Frank. I sure do like the Sport Trail. I would get it as low as possible but be able to trim the motor all the way down and I would also get a folding tongue like the ez-loader. Where the winch folds away.
    I would not do that. Let him template the 189. It took 3 templates for Ameratrail to get the 2011 ok. I know Flatsboy went up there a couple of times with his 189 when they built his. The hulls are not the same. The 2011 is stretched in two places.
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    I would not do that. Let him template the 189. It took 3 templates for Ameratrail to get the 2011 ok. I know Flatsboy went up there a couple of times with his 189 when they built his. The hulls are not the same. The 2011 is stretched in two places.

Good information to know. Thanks for the heads up.
    Frank still hasn't learned that people care about their trailers.He has a custom boat company and uses ronco trailers.Custom builders that have a grasp of the market share they sell under will line up a trailer that is in the top tier like their boat. I can list examples of builders that do have a good grasp of this concept but I think anyone can see this is true.

Get the SS hardware option.

Good point. I'm still have that nagging feeling that I should be getting a better trailer. Don't like the Ameritrail option, though, because of the bunk issues and the low sitting. I'll keep looking around.
    I'm not going to tell you what you have to buy. I can't tell you how many people spend 5% of the total purchase to transport 95%. If I were to put my salesman hat on. I would say to you. "The quailty remains long after the price is forgotten" So if you don't care about quailty keep the Carolina Skiff. With the money you save you can buy another Carolina Skiff in 6-7 years.

Good Luck... Pete

Cheap shot. I'm simply reporting what the boat builder is telling me and since he has experience with many motors, trailer, equipment on the boats, and has contact with owners, I have to give some credence to what he is telling me. Doesn't he have a reputation for being a "straight up guy", well that's what I hear overwhelmingly from all owners. There is also confirmed data out there about the bunk issues and low ride of the Ameritrail. So I'm just trying to make sense of all of it.

I'm upgrading my boat because I have the money to do so and want a better ride, fit, finish, speed, and overall performance and fishability, and I can afford it. When you get into a boat building process and have hundreds if not thousands of configurations to choose from between boat and trailer, you can be pulled in different directions, especially with the pundits with opinions that vary all over the board (the forum board that it).
    One last thing: the main points Frank made with me were the problems with the Ameritrail welded bunks and low ride. The economics of the trailer were just a corollary.

Peace,

Ryan
    I will say Frank tried to sell me on an EZ loader because of the money difference. My 2011 trailer was 4740.00 OTD. The EZ was around 3000.00 or so. I simply did not want a bolt together adjustable trailer that sits way high off the ground. The Sport Trail was for the money, the best option. And I agree that it sucks Kevin at Sport Trail hasn't built a trailer for a 189 yet because it is an incredible trailer. The Rolls looks sweet to me as well, just not sure what they cost. Never priced one. Ill put it like this.... When your firstborn came into this world, I hope you didn't by the cheapest car seat to haul them around in... You're gonna be much more particular about that bird when you get it!!! I always think when I see a nice boat on a mundane trailer, dang... Sux they ran out of money!!!

I just emailed Rolls Axle for a quote on the Egret 189. I'll post the response here.
    Its not that the Ameratrail bunks are welded-The problem is that they did not have a swivel point on the heavier 2011 boats.The front part of the Hull digs in.That was fixed on FlatBoys trailer with longer bunks and two rollers. As far as I know there was no issue on the 189 because it was lighter. Frank will continue to push the Ez-loader the same way Bayliner did. Hopefully he will eventually learn and partner up with a trailer company to make the best trailer for his boat instead of working against them.

The trailer being to low is a very subjective argument. The lower the better for me. I was able to load the trailer easier, & launch in the shallowest of low tides in the keys. Having the boat safely tucked up so far in the air you do not have to worry if you leave your motor down mentality is just old school short term thinking. The cheapest of designs and the worst thought out trailers exhibit this characteristic. Although the Ez-Loader will do the job and is endorsed by the factory it is very rudimentary.
    I just emailed Rolls Axle for a quote on the Egret 189. I'll post the response here.

Great Idea. Petes has held up great and he is a "Soap Dodger"
    R
    Its not that the Ameratrail bunks are welded-The problem is that they did not have a swivel point on the heavier 2011 boats.The front part of the Hull digs in.That was fixed on FlatBoys trailer with longer bunks and two rollers. As far as I know there was no issue on the 189 because it was lighter. Frank will continue to push the Ez-loader the same way Bayliner did. Hopefully he will eventually learn and partner up with a trailer company to make the best trailer for his boat instead of working against them.

The trailer being to low is a very subjective argument. The lower the better for me. I was able to load the trailer easier, & launch in the shallowest of low tides in the keys. Having the boat safely tucked up so far in the air you do not have to worry if you leave your motor down mentality is just old school short term thinking. The cheapest of designs and the worst thought out trailers exhibit this characteristic. Although the Ez-Loader will do the job and is endorsed by the factory it is very rudimentary.

Renegade, is it necessary to use a motor-totor / transom saver with these boats/trailers?
    I always use one. I do not know it its necessary or not. I never trust the tilt on an outboard and the rubber motor mounts could prematurely wear out without support. I use this one in ss http://www.motormateusa.com/

Franks a great guy. I consider him a good friend. We are just as passionate about Egret boats, But we don't agree on trailers. :grin I tried selling him trailers in the past, but we coundn't get the numbers to work. He's too dam far.

As far as a cheap shot, Franks said don't spend the money on a good trailer. Is that any differnet than me saying don't spend the money on a good boat. When you started asking questions you said you had around $1400.00 to spend on extras. I told you to get a better trailer. Now your looking into it. Which is great that what these boat builds are about.

I have a 11 year old Rolls Axle trailer. I have put over 100,000 miles on it. It's all documented go to AIRTIGHTHUBS.COM read all the testimonials. I'm not afraid to trailer my boat any anywhere. I know that the trailer will not fail. In fact, I did a TV commercial for Bennett Marine - trim tabs about the 3 things that can't break but that's another story.

If you want tomorrow morning call Dan he's the owner of Rolls Axle tell him Pete Silot ask you to call him. That you are getting an 18 Egret, and you need pricing on a single axle 1935 with 4 bunks and airthight hubs. The options are Aluminum wheels with radial tires and LED light. If he needs measurement I can send them to him. If you want to see an 11 year old one you can come to the house an see it.

Yes there alot of info you have to sort thru on these forums to figureout what true and whats BS. There are a lot of keyboard experts on the internet. If Frank would have sent you on a good sea trial you would have gotten a better understanding of the whole Egret build process from A to Z. Do you even know why there is an Egret boat company and why it was started? How the 18 was designed and how they are made? Did he tell where the batteries are at and why? Did he explain the the engineering behind the build? You getting a hell of a boat and probably don't realize what your really getting. If you style of fishing doesn't change which it will. This boat will enable you to do things you couldn't do with the one you have now. But in a few years you'll see what I mean.

If you do a search on Egret Boats. You will find that I have said in the past. "I will not trade my used EGRET for a new anything". My boat is 19 years old and I still feel that way.

Good Luck... Pete
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    The ameritrail works well for my 189... Perfect fit. No issues loading etc. It is very low but as noted, this is a great help launching at many ramps at low tide. There has been plenty of times where a higher trailer would have never worked including the ramp I usually use near my house. At lower tides launching there would not be possible without the low profile. You do have to trim up your engine some when towing and pulling out but that is no big deal. I don't use a transom support and I don't think it really does much but certainly wouldn't hurt anything.
    The only issue I had with ameritrail was their crappy stock jack which is about as useful as a brick on a jack.. You need to not get that and get the F2 upgrade. If I was ameritrail I would be embarrassed to even have that crappy stock jack on the lot let alone install on a new trailer.
    HeartNShoal - If you get the ez loader you won't be able to launch it on a low tide at Flamingo in the winter! It's an easy loader not an easy taker offer.

I'll probably be in the park next weekend. If you want to take a look at all my old ****. Peace...Pete