Boynton jigging 7/25/14 Horrible disaster

ProduktProdukt Posts: 592 Officer
Started off alone today at Gulfstream and another guy pulled up behind me with his girlfriend, was that you Nelli? Didn't go out with live bait this morning and stuck to jigging. Found a rip in 220 with a lot of weeds and tons of bait. Second drop caught this 47" king. Third drop hooked into something, fought it for about 5 minutes, almost near the top when it makes a final run. Leaning back with all my might the line snaps and I fly backwards and tip over. Three out of four rods are lost. Two of them were leashed to a plastic mounting cleat which snapped, losing two rods that I thought were secured. Lost an Avet MX on a star delux, a battle 5000 on a trevala, and a battle 4000 combo. Probably $600 worth of gear in the drink. Day ruined by 8 am. Paddled home

Replies

• CannibleCannible Posts: 358 Officer
    Sucks bro, nice king though.
  • kayakfrankkayakfrank Posts: 791 Officer
    Dang....That hurts right in the pocket. At least you are ok.
    Fish Hard...Or Don't Fish At All.
  • palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,620 Captain
    Nice king, Sorry about the rod loss.
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,294 Moderator
    Ouch!
    But nice king.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • kayaklingkayakling Posts: 106 Officer
    Yea besides getting hurt that is pretty much the biggest nightmare. You'll rebuild your arsenal and be ready again soon I'm sure! Looks like a Maryland flag facegaurd?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • timmcollinstimmcollins Posts: 826 Officer
    That just blows! Especially the ones that were leashed. I always fail to secure at least one of my rods and I know I'm gonna pay one day.
    The important thing is you made it back to the sand.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in one hand, Cheeseburger in the other, body well used and worn out and screaming WOO-HOO What a Ride!"
  • ProduktProdukt Posts: 592 Officer
    Anyone ever use this? Does it work for offshore gear? http://www.austinkayak.com/products/561/Rod-Floater-3-pk.html
    kayakling wrote: »
    Yea besides getting hurt that is pretty much the biggest nightmare. You'll rebuild your arsenal and be ready again soon I'm sure! Looks like a Maryland flag facegaurd?

Yeah my buddy makes them so I'm trying to get fish pics with his product for the website
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    I guess Kayak Fishing isn't always all that economical after all...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • cranker789cranker789 Posts: 250 Deckhand
    Man that's painful... R.I.P.
  • WiredToExploreWiredToExplore Posts: 42 Deckhand
    Really harsh loosing all that gear. I get bent when I loose a lure to an oyster bed, can't imaging how I would feel loosing reels and rods. Great looking king though.
  • Nick561Nick561 Posts: 339 Deckhand
    Produkt wrote: »
    Anyone ever use this? Does it work for offshore gear? http://www.austinkayak.com/products/561/Rod-Floater-3-pk.html

I bought those awhile back They are real small. I don't think they would float much. I haven't tried because i don't want to throw a rod in the water but i wouldn't trust them.
  • timmcollinstimmcollins Posts: 826 Officer
    Produkt wrote: »

I have a set. I use them on my inshore gear, but would not trust them with heavier offshore gear. They are pretty small.
    I have seen guys used modified pool noodles.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in one hand, Cheeseburger in the other, body well used and worn out and screaming WOO-HOO What a Ride!"
  • ProduktProdukt Posts: 592 Officer
    The pad eye that I leashed them to broke when I flipped. I'm going to have to give Ocean Kayak a stern talking to. Replaced them with stainless today.
  • SkunkLifeSkunkLife Posts: 545 Officer
    That is a large harshing of your mellow
    Lowbrow Sportsman - "Socially inept since 1985"
  • r00kieAnglerr00kieAngler Posts: 257 Deckhand
    Alex, I suggest you leash it on the bungee cord instead of the cleat. It would absorb more impact than a plastic stationary cleat. Just my 02
  • mapachemapache Posts: 262 Officer
    ****, dude - that sucks! Nice king for the jig though.

Looks like those floats are just pool noodle - make your own. A foot of noodle will float about 3#.
  • 1OzLead1OzLead Posts: 352 Officer
    Sweet King. Sorry about the gear. Losing gear sucks.
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 1,402 Officer
    Sucks about your rods. Thought for sure at first that somebody punched you in your right eye too until I read further. That would of really topped it off!
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • davederbdavederb Posts: 887 Officer
    Produkt, been there done that my first time offshore with Nelli. BLOWS!!! I do have those foam floats, but they are only big enough for my lighter inshore setups. Consider larger for your offshore gear.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Air Force Veteran 93'-00' ~621st TALCE~

2017 & 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12’s
  • blazing_reelsblazing_reels Posts: 587 Officer
    That's a brutal loss of gear. While I have not had that happen to me personally I saw cookinman lose his gear right in front of me. We were in 200ft right by the skycliff wreck in boynton. He went right over by a wave that caught him by surprise. Lost both of his jigging set ups. Hope you can replace the gear quickly.
  • CvstratCvstrat Posts: 53 Deckhand
    Those cleats are no good, I think my 3rd trip out the one holding my seat broke just like that. I have an OK I clip the rod to the bungee that goes around the side of the yak. Gives you a bit of range and they're never gonna break.
  • bugdocbugdoc Posts: 421 Officer
    The rod floaters work great on inshore gear. I have it on my smaller offshore setup too. I tend to stay on the cheap side with the gear because I figure eventually it's going overboard, but it's still a shame that all of yours went even with the leash.
    bugdoc

Southeast Florida kayak launch sites at http://www.floridakayaksites.info
  • JanosJanos Posts: 219 Officer
    We all loose some stuff fishing from a kayak.It is painful to loose all that stuff but at least you are ok and that is the most important thing.
    2015 Hobie Outback.