Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Offshore Trip - 20 miles off Anna Maria 7/19/2014

Went off shore last weekend about 18-20 miles in 60-65 ft of water. We filled the well up with pinfish then headed to the spot. there was bait everywere, and plenty of banito out there but we were targeting gag grouper. We didnt catch a single gag but we caught about 30-35 red grouper and ended up limiting out. we used mostly live hand sized pins and dead greenies.

My biggest of the day, was nice 25 inch Red Grouper

Replies

• Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 3,210 Moderator
    A good day, RGs are better than nothing. A boat came in yesterday with some nice Gags, 70' NW of JP, west of Clearwater.
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    Nice catch for sure. I sometimes fish that general area and it seems to hold more gags as the water cools down.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sagorysagory Posts: 614 Officer
    Nice job. We have been unable to locate gags too. We've tried 90-120 and only caught one in 4 trips. My friend has tried shallower a few times and hasn't had much luck either.
  • lovintaillovintail Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    yeah we usually find them all over from 40'-70' but there hard to find for some reason this season, my buddy has been catching variety of good quallity fish ( queensnapper, mangos, lanesnapper, hogs, kings, scamps and red grouper) 30 miles out of new pass. He caught about 60 fish on july 27th, including a nice 29inch red grouper and all the species i just named.
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    lovintail wrote: »
    yeah we usually find them all over from 40'-70' but there hard to find for some reason this season, my buddy has been catching variety of good quallity fish ( queensnapper, mangos, lanesnapper, hogs, kings, scamps and red grouper) 30 miles out of new pass. He caught about 60 fish on july 27th, including a nice 29inch red grouper and all the species i just named.

Queensnapper would be unusual in those depths but vermillion would be more likely. Sounds like a rock solid trip either way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]