Juno beach dolphin, bones and big cuda.

123123 Posts: 63 Greenhorn
Went out of juno beach by the green top buildings this am around 8:30. Caught a bunch of bait on the little string of reefs mainly sardines with some blue runner mixed in. Trolled out to about 80 ft then headed South for an hour. Caught a couple of bonita and had something clip a line. Some ramora came up to the canoe so i actually hand fed one and snatched it out of the water. Had a few encounters with some pods of dolphins all traveling south.

Ended up heading back in to get some sardines for snapper bait later on and had a 4+ft barracuda buzz right by us. No sailfish or kings or cobia or wahoo and we ended up with the wrong kind of dolphin.

Replies

• kwanza98kwanza98 Posts: 611 Officer
    LOL man the bonito luck is everywhere. I don't feel so bad about me catching them now LOL. ANyways nice report and cool picture. Better luck next time man. Until then tight lines
    Kwanza Kayaking Henderson
  • JanosJanos Posts: 219 Officer
    Bonito is so thick I caught 2 on 1 jig last sunday.
    2015 Hobie Outback.
  • mapachemapache Posts: 262 Officer
    Y'all know that bonito is great smoked or marinated, right? On light tackle so many are near dead when you get them in anyway, so you may as well try them! Just cut out the dark meat. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it!
  • Poseidon10/31Poseidon10/31 Posts: 936 Officer
    I like catching Bonita under 10#. They go right on the 30W. Next full moon it'll translate to a 70# wahoo... Porpoises on the other hand, I hate seeing them. They shut down the bite. Unless you're in Cali or Mexico and you're fishing for yellowfin.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • timmcollinstimmcollins Posts: 826 Officer
    I live down the street and never think about fishing there. Thought about a drift in the spring from Coral reef park to Juno Pier for Cobe's.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in one hand, Cheeseburger in the other, body well used and worn out and screaming WOO-HOO What a Ride!"
  • CvstratCvstrat Posts: 53 Deckhand
    I live down the street and never think about fishing there. Thought about a drift in the spring from Coral reef park to Juno Pier for Cobe's.

That's actually not a bad idea at all.