Home PENN

Conflict or BattleII ?

jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,344 Moderator
Penn, I'm getting ready to buy another reel soon and you guys got my business :cool:
Question though, I'm looking for a 3000 size for fishing out of kayak for trout, snook, and maybe redfish (if I ever get the chance). These two reels stack up fairly even. Which one would you recommend and why?
Hobie Kayak angler for life!

Replies

• FRANK0824FRANK0824 Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    This should be interesting , i'm def. interested in the PENN Battle series , great price for them also.
  • DarcyDarcy Posts: 1,711 Captain
    What about the SpinfisherV. Kayak and sealed reel go nicely together. And the slammer drag is so much better.
    "No i'm NOT Darcizzle!":blowkiss

https://captainsforcleanwater.org
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,344 Moderator
    Darcy wrote: »
    What about the SpinfisherV. Kayak and sealed reel go nicely together. And the slammer drag is so much better.
    I've got a Spinfisher V, its NOT waterproof, fool me once...
    I'm shying away from the SSV... maybe unfairly I will admit.
    Maybe I'll throw up some facts to make this more interesting.

SSV3500 14.40oz 165yrds/20#braid 20#drag $139.95
    CFT3000 11.30oz 180yds/20#braid 15#drag $139.95
    BTLII3000 12.3oz 180yds/20#braid 15#drag $109.95

The Conflict has 8 bearings compared to the 6 in the others.
  • Lead slingerLead slinger Posts: 449 Officer
    Man I haven't gone hands on with the Battle II but I do love the Conflict series. I like everything about the reel, had a chance to fish a 4000 series a few weeks ago and while it was a bit hefty I was impressed with the smoothness and aesthetics. Actually just about purchased an 8000 but decided to go with a Lethal instead...which still hasn't shipped :willynilly
  • CaptHeavyCaptHeavy Posts: 717 Officer
    I like the battle because of how light it is, with that said the conflict seems to be pretty nice. The spinfisher aren't waterproof, you gotta go for a torque or a surf casting speciality reel for that. Although, I haven't had any issues with lots and lots of salt spray on any of my penn reels, (battles, fathoms, fierce, spinfisher, squall).
    Lady Mitchell, Haulover
    600211_10200798788204965_398630343_n.jpg
    www.CaptainHeavy.com
    Instagram: @captheavy
    So Penn Squadron 7' ML rod and BTLII3000 for a budget combo or I could go with a Conflict and Legion rod if finances allow. Sounds good?

Also the upcoming Allegiance II rods look like a good deal as well.
    The ultimate budget combo is the actual Battle combo. The extra $20 gets you a surprisingly great rod.

Edit: with that said the legion rods are GREAT!
    Lady Mitchell, Haulover
    www.CaptainHeavy.com
    Thanks for the input CaptHeavy!
  • DarcyDarcy Posts: 1,711 Captain
    CaptHeavy wrote: »
    The ultimate budget combo is the actual Battle combo. The extra $20 gets you a surprisingly great rod.

Edit: with that said the legion rods are GREAT!
    Yeh for under 100 bucks a good reel and rod. Wont break the bank. Also if you get it from WM when they are on sale, get the warranty, and get a brand new one every year. The guy at WM told me himself that is what he does with his battles. lol
    "No i'm NOT Darcizzle!":blowkiss

https://captainsforcleanwater.org
  • PENNPENN Posts: 373 Deckhand
    Battle II vs. Conflict...here are the facts.

Same body, rotor, side plate between the reels.....we say same tooling.
    Handle assemblies will interchange....so if you prefer EVA knob or rubber knob...you can make it work on either reel.
    Conflict is lighter....8-10% lighter on the inshore (1000-4000) models....bigger reels are not much lighter.
    Conflict inshore models have a reinforced graphite rotor, Battle reels have an aluminum rotor...here's the weight difference.
    Bigger Conflicts (5000-8000) have a rotor break, Battle series does not.
    Both reels use the same sealed ball bearings and clutch.
    Conflict has two extra bearings in the handle knob.
    Both reels use the same gearing system and main shaft.

As a side note, the Battle combos are a great value. I know Capt. Heavy has fished them and can vouch, the price value relationship is hard to beat. It's a shame to hear about the warranty abuse.....and disappointing to see people promoting it on our forum.

Mike
    Mike thanks for the details. I think I have a complete picture now of the differences and can make a more informed decision.
    jcanracer wrote: »
    Thanks for the input CaptHeavy!

Anytime! Good luck and catchem up with whatever you choose.
    Lady Mitchell, Haulover
    www.CaptainHeavy.com
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,425 Admiral
    Mike , why did they stick a bushing in the line roller of the Conflict ,instead of a bearing ?
    Typically bushings last longer than bearings with minimal maintenance, that's been our experience over the last few years. When lubed like a bearing, a bushing will spin freely and is not susceptible to salt water intrusion which creates noise in most bearings. Basically we're just trying to simplify certain areas of our reels, to require less maintenance....the old make it simple, make it work theory.

Mike
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,425 Admiral
    Makes sense. Thanks for the reply , Mike.
    Update:
    I bit the bullet and bought a Conflict 3000. I like the weight, size and the handle (which is a bit awkward looking at first, but very comfortable!). Spooling her up with some Fins windtamer braid and going to harass the snook this weekend!
  • DonnieHoughDonnieHough Posts: 199 Officer
    Is the Battle II already available? It says available on 03/01/2015 on the PENN website...
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. :fishing
    It's available at your local retailer, but we are not selling direct to the public for 6 months on Battle II reels or combos, we want our retail partners to have first crack at it.

Mike
    Testing of the Conflict 3000 continues, but so far I am quite happy.
    I have it spooled with 15# Spiderwire ultracast and caught a bunch of cudas in my less-than-successful snook hunt last weekend. The casts were long and the retrieves were smooth. Didn't really get to test the drag properly yet. Also, I did have 2 wind knots, but that was honestly caused by my overly enthusiastic casts more than the reel itself. I may take this reel to the beach/pier this weekend for more "testing" :)