Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Mountain biking at quite waters park

Does anybody go? Looking for some people to ride with.
A lazy fisherman is a boater!!

Replies

• century7century7 Posts: 2,410 Captain
    You also might want to ask this in the south section. I have been told that t Markham park has some great trails as well
    It works 60% of the time all the time......
  • snooknreds2snooknreds2 Posts: 514 Officer
    Thanks, markham is almost an hour from my house, but quite waters is less than 5 minutes.

I actually posted in both regions because:

1) I live right on the border that defines then

2) I find the south section to be less "friendly" and made up of "clicks" that unless you are part of treat you like an outsider.
  • Spear'em!Spear'em! Posts: 177 Officer
    I've never ridden it but some of my buddies ride it. I believe they have some night rides also during the full moon. For my buddies to go back it can't be half bad as Markham, Amilia, Key Biscaye, and Oleta are closer. There is another short trail in lake worth right of the turnpike. Not sure if its still open. Short but technical. Markham is awesome but can be quite dangerous. There's another good trail in Fort Peirce if its still open. You have to pay a fee and join the club to get access. Its on private property and has been closed a few times over the years due to liability.

I've been dealing with a few health issues so haven't been riding for a bit. Hope to be good to go for when the temps get lower and less rain. We like to due trips over to Alafia, Balm Boyete and Carter Road. Some good camping during the cooler months over there. Thats what I prefer to do but some of the guys I ride with are prissy and need a hotel. Heading farther north you have Santos and the Greenbelt trails. Last year they opened up trails that I enjoyed more the Santos area.

My favorite is ridgeline at Balm Boyete. The only down side is the two mile ride in and out in the soft sand. It usually closed most of the summer or after heavy rains.

Over all my favorite is Carter Road but that can be a bit dangerous. One of my buddies hates riding here. If Markhams an hour away carter probably isn't much farther. It's off of Route 60.

Either way look out for large gators blocking the trails. The good thing is the bike clubs (Swamp and I can't remember the carter road crew) in these areas take really care of the trails. You can google all these areas to see videos.

Hopefully I'll be up for riding by October if your interested in a road trip to ride. Always looking for people to ride with.

Posted by one of the original south members. Member 2,000 and something. way back when the forum was rocking.
  • Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,491 Captain
    There is MB trails on Pinehurst Rd. - South of Okeeheelee Park in WPB. Been there, nice place to ride, people seem friendly.

Pura Vida!
    Thanks, markham is almost an hour from my house, but quite waters is less than 5 minutes.

I actually posted in both regions because:

1) I live right on the border that defines then

2) I find the south section to be less "friendly" and made up of "clicks" that unless you are part of treat you like an outsider.
    How can Markham be an hour from your house if you live right near quiet waters? You can jump down the Sawgrass and be there in 30 min?
    And yes the he southeast section is the best of then all:p
    Spear'em
    Thanks for the detailed reply! Yes quite waters isn't that bad, I have risen there before, been a while as I had knee surgery in the beginning of the year. Used to live in Tampa and have ride at santos and aliphia, both are great places, as well as many other trails up that way and into Tallahassee even.

I like the idea of camping also and making a weekend out of it, that would be fun!

Big bill, I will have to look that up as I am not familiar with it, thanks for the suggestion though!

Century, guess it isn't quite an hour, just always thought of it as such. Actually never been to markham, maybe I should make a day of it and go there to ride and shoot one weekend (although I have heard they are range **** and "check" your rifle for obstructions by sticking a steel rod down the barrel?

Not new to riding, or te trails at quite waters.... Just looking make it more fun and meet some new people
    South section = 30 views and 0 replies..
    Century, guess it isn't quite an hour, just always thought of it as such. Actually never been to markham, maybe I should make a day of it and go there to ride and shoot one weekend (although I have heard they are range **** and "check" your rifle for obstructions by sticking a steel rod down the barrel?

I like how you round a 30 minute drive to an hour.......i bet that 10lbs snook you catch becomes a 20:rotflmao

As for the range i do shoot there and well they are strict they have to be because they get real rocket scientist there. I have never heard of them putting a rod down the barrel but they will use flags in the chamber when the range is cold. If you shoot trap on the other side it is more laid back enviroment.
    Well Ill be darned... Looked it up and it says 27 minutes!! Wow!!
    I've never been down to markham, used to live up in Delray, and was told it was about an hour by a friend, so I never went....

I thought it was a good 45-50 minute drive( rounded up to an hour).... Now that I know this, I just might have to make a trip!

Now, about that snook that doubled in size...lol. Seriously though, thanks for bringing that to my attention!!!
  • LastMangoLastMango Posts: 4,574 Officer
    If you get bored mountain biking in quiet waters, try this place... :wink
    Here's a great link featuring the best trails in FL.

http://www.singletracks.com/mountain-bike/best_trails.php?state=9

You can click Florida Trails to see all trails also.

If you've never ridden Markham I highly suggest you go there. Miles and miles of trails. it has a lot of Coral Heads (fossilized ones that is) you need to look out for. With recent knee surgery I'd wear knee pads. Tons of fun trails in there. I love riding there but hate the drive from Miami. YOu'd get there a lot faster than I can depending on traffic. Some really technical riding and some big drops, climbs, and really flowwy sections. If you pick the wrong trails and its been raining you'll think your in the swamp and just trying to stay afloat.

The first time you go get there early as you have to pay $25 and watch a 15 or 20 minute video telling you about MTBing etc. Then they give you a a numbered license / ID Badge to ride the trails. Its at the main office by the entrance of the park and I believe closes at 5pm. The trails are like 5 minutes down the road. They often have a tent set up with trail voulenters at the gate where you enter the trails and will have to show your ID card to enter.

When you first enter the trails there will be a trail to the right that says "Warm-up Loop" The beginning really like a blue or black and the beginning of the trail is really rocky. If you don't know the way thru the coral heads you'll probably crash or at least put your feet down and walk a bit. The first time we rode there we thought "Great a warm-up trail!" Within the first 200 yards 2 of had crashed and were bleeding, and the last guy got lucky and walked it. Now its easy as I know the route.

Theres some other dangerous areas that if your riding with someone that knows the trails can warn you about in advance. Way in the back the end of "Gun Range" has some big blind drops and technical areas. The first few times we rode there we were all pushing each other pretty hard and blood was spilled. Not so much anymore. Just take your time your first couple of times here. I feel like crashing here is way worse than crashing at Alafia due to the rocky areas. Second behind the Vortex at Santos for FL. Just a fair warning.

Typing this makes me want to ride so bad!!!! Hopefully in a month or so I'll start road riding to get back in shape to hit the trails.

Some really good trails in Miami these days. If you come down on a weekend the Key Biscayne trail and Amilia are both really fun. Oleta is really rooty and rocky also and isn't taken care of like the SF trails.

I did have one typo in my last post. Carter Road is in central FL. Not closer to you.
    Here's a little video of the 3 fingers trail! Some fun riding here! This is my favorite park/ trails in the state of FL so far. Ridgeline at Balm Boyete is my favorite trail of all though!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9EO2ZOyfFY

Hope to see ya on the trails!
    Spear'em.... Thanks for the detailed info! I am getting pumped to go ride when I get back into town!!

On another note, proving once again that the south section is "click'y". The only response I got on there was this:

loco wrote: »
    I don't know you. Are you even I a social group? I bet you are just an outsider.

Shoot me a PM when you are thinking of going... I'll ride with you if I can make it... or perhaps way way behind you.

Don't know of he was trying to be funny or what, but since when do I (or anybody) need to be part of the social group?
    Yea, the south section has gotten really lame. I seem to check my own area less than I check the SE, East Central, Tropical, and Keys sections. Hardly any reports or good info anymore and they are a bit sensitive. Not sure how long you've been on the forum since the last crash. Its really gone downhill over the years like most forums. Only a few really post much anymore. This place was a blast for many years before FS sold out to some outside vendor to run the forum and things got regulated and many left or banned and never came back. I did for a while also. I guess all good things come to an end. So much for 30 or 40 page threads daily. Paulboat is my hero these days. I think the SE section is actually my favorite lately.

Well back to riding. What kind of bike do you ride? I've a specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er hard tail frame. Ive gone to a 2 x 10 crank setup with all SRAM x7 shifters and cranks. New wheel set etc. Upgraded almost every stock part I could. I think the seat clamp is stock. lol.
    I ride an old *** treck, I think 4900. Hard tail, Disk brakes, upgraded fork,upgraded derailers, upgraded wheel sets and rims, clip in peddles.. It's old but and basic, but as with many things in life if you take care of your gear it last you a long time! I can out ride most people on the trails and feel comfortable on it so never felt the need to upgrade...lol

I have literally 1,000s of miles on that bike and plan to put many more.

How far from quite waters and markahm are you? I plan on riding atleast once a week now that my knee can take it. Before I got my acl fixed, I rode for 2.5 years with a torn acl and could still jam out every trail at quite waters :-)
    Oh, and I have been on the forum since 2003 or 2004... But like you I stopped visiting it as much when things started going down hill. Between my family, running 2 businesses and working on the boats I just didnt/don't have the time too often. I am on vacation visiting my inlaws over seas so been posting much more lately.
    Spear'em
    The annual pass I have for quite waters is good for markahm as well? Or do I still need to watch the **** video before I can ride?

That video you posted is you riding? The beginning part of the trail reminds me of a trail called gator back, I think at aliphia, where if you fall the wrong way you end up in the swamp!
  • DavekingDaveking Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    I thought they bulldozed quiet water a number of years back.
    Daveking wrote: »
    I thought they bulldozed quiet water a number of years back.

After the huricanes in 2005 they rebuilt it
  • PureCPureC Posts: 46 Deckhand
    I'm up in Jupiter and have never done quiet waters, supposedly nice.

We also ride the pinehurst trail off the turnpike in LW quite a bit, if ever make it up this way give me a shout, I'll head out there.

Also I don't know if anyone else mentioned it, but Jonathan Dickinson has a really great set of trails. The Club Scrub crew there really busts their *** and do a great job fixing up and and maintaining all the trails there.
    2.png
    Rock The Rag!
    No Thats not me. I still need to get a go pro or maybe one of Nabi knockoff's the guys in the off topic section are using. I got my bike for a great price. It's entry level so as thing broke I just upgraded. I was riding a lot and like to jump so I went thru a few rims and as i'd find good deals on ebay or sales I started buying more stuff.

Markham and QW's are about the same distance (around 35 to 40 minutes) for me but that all depends on traffic. I'm in north miami off of NW 103rd street exit on 95 so heading north for afternoon rides suck. I'm only basically 15 to 20 minutes from Oleta, Amilia, and Key Biscayne so mostly ride those. We would often ride Markham on the weekends and then BBQ and beers after riding as they are open late and you can camp there. If you ever did never get a camp site close to the gun range or you be listen to gun fire from sunrise to sunset.. I learned the hard way. Also pretty cool after riding while BBQing is watching the RC planes fly around. Some hard core guys fly at the airfield there. It's just south of the trails. One guy has a sick jet powered f-16 fighter that is amazing to watch fly. I guess its gotta be 6 feet long. All the parks by me you have to be out at sunset.

YOu'll have to pay the $25 and take the class / video to ride markham. Not sure if your pass will get you the park. The entrance fee is $1.50. The $25 is for trail maintenance program. The guys there really work hard and have bobcats and fill in holes as needed.
    http://www.markhamparktrailbuildingfund.org
    This link to the park says no fee so maybe its just not updated or they canceled it. Not fun to show up during a race and its closed either.

Often times during the year specialized, Gaint, Trek, etc will come out and set up the trailers and tents full of bikes and technicians which is really cool. You can test ride all the bikes and if own one of their bikes give your a quick service. Nothing like trying out a 2014 carbon fiber full suspension bike that retails for $10,000 to $12,000! If you have great credit that is.

PureC - you ride the Fort Pierce trails ever? Here's the link to there site. The videos of it look fun. Looks like one of there other trails is shut down due guys making their own trails.

http://www.airbornemtb.org/index.html
    Went to quite waters this morning to see how the knee holds up. I am a little out of practice and it showed, but overall the ride was good. Only rode for an hour since it has been so long, but it was fun!