Tarpon in lakes?? Mount Dora area..

My dad just moved to Eustis. Took kids to Trimble park. It's on a lake. I casted a few times. I could swear I saw a couple of little tarpon rolling. Any chance??

Replies

• Egreen cobraEgreen cobra Posts: 226 Deckhand
    Could be Gar, or some other rough fish. I feel like that's a little far north.... But yes there are many lakes in Central/South FL that have juvi tarpon.

Does this lake have a ditch,creek,canal etc. that connects to saltwater? It doesn't have to be much, they'll go in on a super high tide and live happily.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,356 Moderator
    Either plecko's or gar. No tarpon in there.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • JettyparkJettypark Posts: 1,907 Captain
    Have to agree... its a gar/carp but its not a tarpon...our carp and gar get large .... here's a gar and look at the
    canal where I pull him out of ... I have also caught grass carp that large out of there... its the back of a lake
    right down the road from me...

NewImagegar3.jpg

I can imagine someone seeing one of these guys and thinking it was a tarpon... heck they even gulp air like
    tarpons do... either way on light tackle both gar and carp will fight pretty good...
    aa13.gif "A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"
  • a little knotsa little knots Posts: 1,222 Officer
    Im saying gar ..... mudders maybe ?????
  • GotBass?GotBass? Posts: 202 Deckhand
    Chances are it isn't a tarpon.
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 5,975 Admiral
    Plecos and gar around here.
  • RealSeabeeRealSeabee Posts: 571 Officer
    used to film some Tarzan episodes way back a lot of years in/at Lake Dora so there is no telling what you could run in to, either in the water or on land.
    When Practice meets opportunity, Set-The-Hook!