Home Egret Boats

Maintenance Question

Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
So me and baby went out this morning for some top water action. Pull up to the first point and go to open my seat to grab my ipilot remote. Pull on the seat strap and it breaks off in my hand. Any if you ever had a probl with this? Also, my button on my console door will not open and close. If you push it in, it stays in one place. Is there a way to grease this or something so it doesn't stick?? Before the haters start, I don't hold Frank responsible for this. He's a boat builder. I don't think he should be responsible for the malfunctioning latches. Although I'm sure if I can't fix it, he will gladly send me replacements.
Need a little time off...For Bad Behavior....

2014 Egret 2011 /Yamaha 250 SHO - sold
2019 Pathfinder 2500 hybrid 350 Verado

Replies

• mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand
    I've never had an issue like that with my straps and I've got approx 10,000 on the water hours on two boats. The only issue with the strap latch I had was because the old boat had the back rest through the seat hatch and the wind load on the back rest when on the turnpike could cause the latch to let go and open up. I quickly learned not to leave anything light under the seat. That problem is fixed on the new boat with the better (but not perfect till you wrap a strap around it! :) ) backrest design.

I would guess a sharp edge on the glass where the strap goes through the hatch maybe. Never had a problem with the console button either. I do have trouble with the latches on the rod lockers on the new boat getting jammed when in the water but not when on the trailer and I can see wear in the gel coat where they stick. A fiberglass guy told me the problem is the boat gets built on the trailer and then when you launch the boat everything shifts a little. If the hatches aren't adjusted on the water as well then you can end up with sticky hatches. That explanation makes a lot of sense to me. That's a general boat building issue so no hating here for that.
  • Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
    I'm assuming the button sticks because of maybe some debris has gotten in it. I'm going to wash it out real good and put a little grease on it. The strap broke inside the latch mechanism so I'm assuming just a manufacturers defect. Gonna call frank tomorrow and have him replace it. Shouldn't be a big deal.
    Need a little time off...For Bad Behavior....

2014 Egret 2011 /Yamaha 250 SHO - sold
    2019 Pathfinder 2500 hybrid 350 Verado
  • cairotroutcairotrout Georgia Posts: 159 Deckhand
    Sounds like a goober broke it!