Home Photography Corner

Pileated Visit Today

barlow46barlow46 Posts: 312 Deckhand
East Coast Florida

Replies

• FibberMckeeFibberMckee Posts: 12,837 AG
    Got Pileated woodpeckers nesting about 50' from my front door again. Hard to get in or out of the house w/o them squawking at me. You wouldn't even know they were there if they remained quiet. Its like the Berlin Airlift out there. Always fun to watch the young ones learn to fly.
  • ChuckcChuckc Posts: 4,398 Captain
    They can really make a racket when hammering away at dead wood. Nice captures, I like #3 and #4 best.
  • mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,222 Captain
    nice images of the pileateds...
    we have them around the property but i never seem to have a camera available when one drops in for a moment or two...

tim,
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002
  • JWTJWT Posts: 726 Officer
    Nice shots. they are beautiful (& elusive to me!) birds!!
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,416 Captain
    Nice shot, beautiful bird!
    Our Indians called them the laughing woodpecker.
    Can you guess why??
    Jim
    Every once in a while a Pileated will come to the Squirrelproof birdfeeder 10' from my front door. Kind of comical b/c they are a bit too big & really get the feeder swinging.

Where I lived in upstate NY they never had many Pileated woodpeckers until relatively recently. They were rarely seen, very wary & secretive. So much so you didn't even hear them! Yes, there were some in quiet isolated woods, but they just weren't seen, or known by most people & always a surprise. Now they've become fairly common & even in suburban landscapes.
    Next to your Profile Picture of Swallowtail kite the poor chisel faced Pileated ain't gonna win no Beauty Contest.
    Scoutboat wrote: »
    Nice shot, beautiful bird!
    Our Indians called them the laughing woodpecker.
    Can you guess why??

What did Indians call the Swallowtail kite? And did you ever hear one?
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, usually human, to our dismay.
    Nature gives all critters beauty, sometimes humans forget that.
    I don't know what the native people named the Swallowtail, but it had to be something nice.
    The Pileated was called the "laughing woodpecker" because of its call. Yeck, Yeck,Yeck.
    Nice to talk to you.
    Jim
  • esteroestero Posts: 2,041 Captain
    barlow46,
    Great capture of the woodpecker.

Just because you’re  Offended  Doesn’t mean you right!

Sorry, don't "dismay" over my ranking beauty of Swallowtail kite over Pileated woodpecker.
    Scoutboat wrote: »
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, usually human, to our dismay.
    Nature gives all critters beauty, sometimes humans forget that.

Get to behold Pileateds all the time, here & in NY. Only seen Swallowtail kites a few times this Summer & never seen one up close. Read they hold the distinction of being the most endangered bird that is not listed? Live in mature forest that is good habitat for Swallowtail kites, but they soar over the 100' treetops. You'd never seen them above the canopy.
    I see them often at the Babcock Webb area south of Punta Gorda , sometimes in family groups.
    Mixed pine woods and prairies.
    Jim
  • mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,222 Captain

....Only seen Swallowtail kites a few times this Summer & never seen one up close. Read they hold the distinction of being the most endangered bird that is not listed? Live in mature forest that is good habitat for Swallowtail kites, but they soar over the 100' treetops. You'd never seen them above the canopy.

the Mississippi kite really holds that distinction....
    40 years ago they were almost extinct....
    now we see them in the "crane habitat" and once in a while in rural developments...
    I saw 2 yesterday, but the first time I've seen one in quite some time...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002