Home Egret Boats

Is it me

cairotroutcairotrout Georgia Posts: 159 Deckhand
Or is it very rare that trim tabs are necessary very often with a 189 Egret?

Replies

• lowerkeyslowerkeys Posts: 99 Greenhorn
    I don't use them much with the calm summer weather but they come in handy with the winter winds
  • mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand
    It's you. :) Depends on the chop / sea state. Once you get more than 6in chop they can make a huge difference.
  • polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,053 Officer
    So many variables here that it is hard to provide an absolute answer.

Factors that can lead to increased need for tabs:
    - balance of the boat (i.e. heavier four stroke vs 2 stroke or even less HP), weight and positioning of load (i.e if you and your fishing buddy are Clydesdales)
    - Prop. (some props can contribute to need for tabs, others help through stern lift etc.)

Factors that lead to increased preference for tabs:
    - load balance (said fishing buddy is a Clydesdale but you are not)
    - ride quality (drop the beak of the bird to smooth out a chop)
    - flatter hole-shot out of shallow water
    - skimming a shallow area (to lift the back while trimming to the limit)

Everybody has a mix of all of the above over time, but I can say that In the case of my Egret, I never need them and prefer them only occasionally. YMMV>
  • Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
    I've only used mine a couple times. With the weather we've had, it's been bumpy almost every time out. This morning we were in a 1-2 foot chop with big rollers mixed in. Two bumps of the tabs and that egret bow did exactly what it was supposed to. Put it on 45mph and went fishing. I may have a few little issues with the new bird but I wouldn't trade it for two of any other!!
    Need a little time off...For Bad Behavior....

2014 Egret 2011 /Yamaha 250 SHO - sold
    2019 Pathfinder 2500 hybrid 350 Verado
  • cairotroutcairotrout Georgia Posts: 159 Deckhand
    mbowers wrote: »
    It's you. :) Depends on the chop / sea state. Once you get more than 6in chop they can make a huge difference.

I have only used mine once and it was with 2 footers and really didn't need then
  • HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    cairotrout wrote: »
    I have only used mine once and it was with 2 footers and really didn't need then

They are nice to have. There are times when just about any boat can benefit from them. They can help your hole shot too.
  • polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,053 Officer

Is this coming from the same guy that asked the the question about it being very rare that trim tabs are not necessary? Or did you not realize your question was a double negative?
    Is this coming from the same guy that asked the the question about it being very rare that trim tabs are not necessary? Or did you not realize your question was a double negative?

Haha you have a point. Take the not out.
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    I use the tabs routinely on all trips to balance loads and deal with wind and conditions.
    He doesn't just act like a dumb a$$.... He is!!:crowd

Maybe that 189 rides better than 2011:kick
    Yep. Maybe. :rolleyes

Or just a better Captain
  • Reel nutReel nut Posts: 32 Deckhand
    If I'm running offshore and just want to smooth it out or in the chop coming in the sounds I'll use them. Not very often. Offshore I'll generally trim the motor up a touch, where it handles great, then just bump the tabs 2 times. I'm about 220# and my fishing partner is about 200#, toss the big cooler with 80-90# of ice up front.
    Or just a better Captain

:blahblah