Home Egret Boats

Questions and Advice

Mark29860Mark29860 Posts: 12 Greenhorn
Hello everyone, it's been awhile since I've posted on here but I check in every couple of days there's a ton of good information on this forum, also Chip has been a lot of help. I started this process of research and boat buying last year and after we went and met Frank took a test ride we were hooked. When we got home and got the quote I couldn't justify the price for a fishing boat, well this spring we got to looking at boats like Scout, Sportsman and a few others and what we found was nothing compares to an Egret that I have found and when you start looking at it there's really not that much of a price difference plus I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for

I'm almost ready to place our order but still have several questions
1. Motor the boat Frank took us out in had a Yamaha 115 most on here will say that's underpowered Frank says no and he gave me several S. fl guides that run a 115 on their boat and they seem to love it and say they have no problems. I need help with this

2 Frank quoted me a price on a EZLoader trailer when we went on a second test ride Tommy Derringer sold me on the Aneratrail trailer and I've read several post on here about them everything's been good but if you google them you get negetive info especially their customer service.

3. Boat color we really like the light gray color the boat will be parked under a shed without sides so do y'all think the gray will fade

4. I doubt I will ever pole the boat so weight isn't an issue I think were going with a fiberglass hull

5 I was planning on going with a Lowrance HDS 9 but Frank said I should think about the new Garmin with down scan if anyone has any exp. with the new Garmin I would appreciate the info

That's about all the questions I have for now but there will be more I'm sure. Thanks for your help and when it's all said and done I hope to have one hell of a crappie/striper rig

Replies

• HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    I've been doing extensive research and here's what I can offer you on these points:

1. I've talked to at least one of the guides that have the 115 and he wishes he had a 150. You may be able to get by with the 115 depending on what you do, but most everyone feels that is too small a motor for this boat. Frank disagrees and has a good point about most people cruising in the mid 30's (mph), but for hole shot, outrunning storms, coping with additional passengers on the boat, and gear weight, I'm not going to buy a $60K boat and be underpowered for some of the things I want to do. The Yamaha F150 is a workhorse and does not add much cost. Is draft a big issue for you?

2. Two things I learned about the Ameritrail trailer. First, the welded bunks are not optimal for the hull and in a short period of time you can rub off the carpet and perhaps skuff your hull. Second, you cannot remove the cowling (of the Yamaha F150 at least) while the boat is on the trailer. You have to put the boat in the water or jack up the trailer. Third (bonus point) the EZ Loader having a higher sitting profile is extra protection against leaving your motor trimmed down and scraping or badly damaging your skeg. All of this information came from Frank. I do not have personal experience with this.

3. I've heard good things about the light grey. I think it is a good choice if you like it. Neutral enough for resale. I think the colored hulls make the boat look the part. I'd go light for longevity, maintenance, and scratch-hiding reasons. The Yamaha 4-stroke will match it nicely!

4. You are fine with the fiberglass hull. Use that money for options. I've belabored this point everywhere and still can't find anyone that can tell the difference in practical daily use. Only helps draft by 1/4".

5. I've used Garmin a lot and had good experience with them. I am not knowledgeable enough to give an opinion on the GPS. I am going with the Garmin 1040xs. I refuse to put a tiny screen on a $60K boat. Plus I do pole sometimes and I need ot see it from the platform.

Hope this helps. I'm knew to this too but I've done an awful lot of due diligence recently and this is the experience I've collected and interpreted.
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    If the 115 is on a 16 it would be OK. If its on an 18, its way underpowered. Some guides have that because they all run 25 to 30 from spot to spot and they don't want to push around the weight. No reason to race around and waste extra gas. So from that perspective it works great. But I'd be surprised if you could get 38 mph out of it wide open on an 18 with a decent load. If you ever went on one of the Egret Marquesas runs you would be left in the dust with that engine...Ameratrail is a very low trailer good for shallow ramps but you have to tilt up engine up some to use it. The trailer is nice but if you get that, don't get the crappy stock jack they use. The color wont fade if its out of direct sun most of the time. They use top quality gel coat. Lowrance has much better sonar and far more mapping options than Garmin with a similar user interface. With garmin you get one map option -- garmin maps and that is it. With Lowrance you have multiple options to load. Bigger GPS screen is much better than a 9 and touch screen is best. Get a 12" screen.
  • kerleekerlee Posts: 66 Greenhorn
    Hi Everyone,
    I have enjoyed reading all the recent posts by HeartNShoal on his recent decision. I hopefully will be in the same position in the near future as soon as I sell my wakeboarding boat. Any interest in a 2009 Tige RZ2, LOL? I have spoken alot with Chip in the recent months picking his brain about everything he did on his boat and would do again. This forum is awesome for helping to educate a buyer on an Egret. I think I have read every post from the very beginning. I will probably end up with a very close finished product to Chip's boat and Doodledog's boat. Great post by the way Doodledog on your build, especially the pictures. I did want to add my 2 cents worth on somethings from my future build sheet that I found during my research as well that have not been covered well in the recent posts.

1. Trailers - always a tough decision, depends on how far you have to trailer. Lots of stuff on the Ameritrail on the forum. A few mentions about the Rolls trailer and of course the EZ- loader as the benchmark. I did look at the Sport Trail after a few posts on here. There are some great pics on FB as well a few other posts on another forum, HT. I called Kevin Desall, the owner of Sport Trail, about some questions regarding his trailer. He will pretty much make the trailer anyway you want it. He can position the boat at any height you desire. Sounds like there maybe a sweet point where you can trim the motor all the way down with minimal clearance for maintenance, but still be as low as possible. We may need some input from the Ameritrail owners to see how much more height their transom would have to be raised to get the motor to trim down all the way and whether that would completely defeat the shallow launch and retrieval. Or we could get the EZ loader folks to let us know how much clearance, they have under their skeg and then lower down? Measurement from botton of transom hull to bottom of skeg on motor when trimmed down please? Kevin does not like to do a swing away tongue as it gets away from the all-aluminum concept. However he will do it, but the tongue beam will have to be steel instead of aluminum in order to attach the swing away mechanism. The last time I talked to Kevin about 2 months ago, he does not have a pattern for the 189. He likes to see an actual boat to get the measurements rather than going off of a CAD drawing. Whoever pulls the trigger and orders the first trailer for a 189 from Kevin may need to find out from Frank A. where the closest 189 is located to Sport Trail. Maybe they can talk the owner into swinging by, so Kevin can get the measurements...

Stereo - Most people these days only use a stereo as an access point for their MP3/ I-phone playlist. If you are going with a Lowrance system, check out the Lowrance sonic hub. I think you can add an amp to it. I would probably use different speakers.

For those fishing for stripers or gigging for flounders - Battery tender access points for running 12V devices at a later date hidden in the console and anchor locker

Push pole holder option on both sides? - can be used for rod holder for striper fishing or the new LED flounder gigging lights

Livewells and release wells - rigged with double set of pumps ( one for raw water use and one for on-trailer over night use) as well as air bubbler. definitely over the top, but alot easier to do during the build.

Everything else pretty much from flush rod holders to transom light has been touched on in past posts

Can't wait to order mine

Kerry
  • 91tiger91tiger Posts: 555 Officer
    Mark, you and Kerry need to meet each other. You both fish Clarks Hill. I wanted to warn you both in case you think you have the coolest boat on the lake and another one shows up. :cool:

I wouldn't do Garmin for striper fishing at Clarks Hill and Hartwell. You won't find any of the striper guides using anything but Lowrance. With all the flooded timber, you have to pick fish and bait out of trees. The down scan part of the Lowrance Structure Scan is superior for this. Get the HDS Touch with structure scan you will love it. Trust me on this one, I fished those lakes since I was 10 years old. My Dad still fishes them 2 times a week. By the way he's had a hell of a year. He got a 48 pounder this spring, a 42 pounder this summer, and 8 more in the 30's...all fished released good and healthy.

I respect Frank's opinion on many things but he has never fished once for freshwater stripers. He calls it cheating to catch them in a lake. He doesn't realize these lakes are 50 miles long. When I told him my dad uses 16 to 20 inch rainbow trout for bait he looked at me like I was insane.

Chip
  • kerleekerlee Posts: 66 Greenhorn
    I sent Mark a PM, so I could send him the build excel sheet and word documents that I had you review. I already sent a copy to Ryan this morning. It may generate some more discussion on the forum...
  • Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
    AMEN on the Sport Trail. Im telling you guys, one of the finest trailers made. My Sport Trail fits my 2011 like a glove and is incredibly easy to pull. the balance is incredible. i can wheel it around in my shop much easier than I could with my last trailer and boat. With the motor all the way jacked and trimmed down, I have about 4 inches of clearance for the skeg to the ground. When Frank A saw the trailer, he took a second look and remarked, "**** fine trailer". I opted for the Garmin 70 dv. It is very easy to use and for a non geek like me, thats helpful. the 7" screen is more than plenty for my application. I didnt want a figgin TV on my dash. When your running close to 70 mph, you want all the view of the water you can get. I have for a long time installed a small depth finder on the bow of the boat as that is where I spend the majority of my time. It helps me to maintain certain depths and watch the bottom for drop offs while on the trolling motor. It also keps me from asking my fishing buddy on the back what the depth is repeatedly. I mounted the Garmin echo 301 dv up front on the 2011. I can furnish pics if needed. It tucks in beside the TM in a space that wouldnt be usable any way. Ive had comments about setting it up like a bass boat, but honestly, if your shoreline fishing, oyster bar/ structure fishing, fishing docks,etc with top water baits and other various artificials... arent you basically mimicing the methods also used in bass fishing?? Hey, it works. We have a ton of tournament wins to prove it! As far as color, go with whatever you like. Its your rig. You know how much maintenance you dont mind and can base it off that. My bird is panther black. Yes this color is the hardest to maintain but then again, how many times have you had people pull up beside you at a red light snapping pics of your rig and truck?? Happens all the time when Im pulling Bad Behavior around. Even ahd a chic ask if she could get in and have me take her picture while at home depot. If she wasnt a 400 pounder, Id have let her!:puke I went with black and had the SHO color matched and OE emblems reinstalled because thats what I wanted. Like I said, its your baby that your about to spend a mint on. make sure she makes you smile every time you walk by her!! BB
    Need a little time off...For Bad Behavior....

2014 Egret 2011 /Yamaha 250 SHO - sold
    2019 Pathfinder 2500 hybrid 350 Verado
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    AMEN on the Sport Trail. Im telling you guys, one of the finest trailers made. My Sport Trail fits my 2011 like a glove and is incredibly easy to pull. the balance is incredible. i can wheel it around in my shop much easier than I could with my last trailer and boat. With the motor all the way jacked and trimmed down, I have about 4 inches of clearance for the skeg to the ground. When Frank A saw the trailer, he took a second look and remarked, "**** fine trailer". I opted for the Garmin 70 dv. It is very easy to use and for a non geek like me, thats helpful. the 7" screen is more than plenty for my application. I didnt want a figgin TV on my dash. When your running close to 70 mph, you want all the view of the water you can get. I have for a long time installed a small depth finder on the bow of the boat as that is where I spend the majority of my time. It helps me to maintain certain depths and watch the bottom for drop offs while on the trolling motor. It also keps me from asking my fishing buddy on the back what the depth is repeatedly. I mounted the Garmin echo 301 dv up front on the 2011. I can furnish pics if needed. It tucks in beside the TM in a space that wouldnt be usable any way. Ive had comments about setting it up like a bass boat, but honestly, if your shoreline fishing, oyster bar/ structure fishing, fishing docks,etc with top water baits and other various artificials... arent you basically mimicing the methods also used in bass fishing?? Hey, it works. We have a ton of tournament wins to prove it! As far as color, go with whatever you like. Its your rig. You know how much maintenance you dont mind and can base it off that. My bird is panther black. Yes this color is the hardest to maintain but then again, how many times have you had people pull up beside you at a red light snapping pics of your rig and truck?? Happens all the time when Im pulling Bad Behavior around. Even ahd a chic ask if she could get in and have me take her picture while at home depot. If she wasnt a 400 pounder, Id have let her!:puke I went with black and had the SHO color matched and OE emblems reinstalled because thats what I wanted. Like I said, its your baby that your about to spend a mint on. make sure she makes you smile every time you walk by her!! BB

That right there is discrimination!:grin I know you were worried about her safety as she might have slipped. Yea That's it...We'll go with that.:huh Tight lines... Pete

PS you missed the opourtunity, you could have used her to send a picture of your 105 lbs GF to HeartNShoal!
    HAHA.... I WASNT BEING DISCRIMINITIVE!! I just didnt want any hoof marks in my new awl grip!!! I dont think Ryan would have liked her.... she had on a tube top that was so tight it could take her blood pressure!! A sho nuff salt block licker!!

• HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer

I watched the Youtube video on the Sport Trail and all I can say is "wow". Moving. Seriously.

Spoke to Frank about it and he said they have not made a 189 trailer yet. I think BB had already mentioned that. Anyway, I would have to pay to have it shipped to NC too. How much do you think the trailer would cost me? That trailer is freaking special.
    I watched the Youtube video on the Sport Trail and all I can say is "wow". Moving. Seriously.

Spoke to Frank about it and he said they have not made a 189 trailer yet. I think BB had already mentioned that. Anyway, I would have to pay to have it shipped to NC too. How much do you think the trailer would cost me? That trailer is freaking special.

All I can tell you would be to call Kevin at Sport Trail. Tell him I sent ya! He's a good dude. He will be straight up with you about it. See if he has any dealers close by to you. Heck, see if he has any dealers close to me and I'll pick it up for you! You can pick it up on your way to pick up your bird. I'm on the way... Kind of!

• Mark29860Mark29860 Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    Chip how do you think the Aneratrail trailer will work on the steep ramps around the lake and you know yourself just a little over a year ago Clarks Hill was 14 ft. low. The reason I like it is it's easy to reach over the side to put stuff in the boat plus cleaning I also saw Tonmy Derringer load his boat and his lug nuts never got wet