Home Photography Corner

Some bird shots

Shandy GShandy G Posts: 233 Officer
I have been practicing allot and hopefully I'm getting better.

Replies

• barlow46barlow46 Posts: 312 Deckhand
    Yes you are. Very nice and #3 is my favorite.
    East Coast Florida
  • mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,222 Captain
    yup...#3 is the winner...
    i see that you may have found out how hard it is to shoot white egrets...

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002
  • Shandy GShandy G Posts: 233 Officer
    Yes, Egrets arent easy...And #3 is my favorite too.
  • ChuckcChuckc Posts: 4,398 Captain
    I also really like #3, that would be one for the wall I think. Egrets are definitely tough for the camera to meter, very tough. I like the contrast and lighting on the last one but would suggest correcting the horizon.
    Shandy G wrote: »
    Yes, Egrets arent easy...And #3 is my favorite too.

Have you tried spot metering with the smallest spot possible? That seems to work pretty well for me but it's still not a sure thing.
    Actually yesterday was the first day I did try spot metering. Im still learning.
    Here is one that I think turned out a bit better
    Getting better but still blown out. Keep it up, you'll get it where it needs to be. Even with spot metering I find I have to be careful where I put the spot in some cases. Some folks automatically set a - EV when they will be shooting white birds to better prevent blown highlights.
  • mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,222 Captain
    Chuck...
    Chuckc wrote: »
    Getting better but still blown out. Keep it up, you'll get it where it needs to be. Even with spot metering I find I have to be careful where I put the spot in some cases. Some folks automatically set a - EV when they will be shooting white birds to better prevent blown highlights.

you got that right...
    i automatically back down a notch or two when shooting birds, white herons in particular...
    shooting in raw, i know that i can correct for shadows and black points...

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
    Chuckc wrote: »

Correct on all points. On a day as bright as the day you were out, shooting on a one point focus, spot meter, "A" (or Av, depending on your system) and EV = -0.7 is a place to start. I have been known to to to EV = -1.5 on extremely bright days (or conditions.) Bringing the exposure up in LR or Pshop or what ever you do is no big deal. Oh, and you really should be shooting in the relevant version of *.RAW.
    Thanks for all of the help. I am a member of other photography forums and rarely get this kind of help.