Home Egret Boats

Best Boat Soap??

Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
Ive been washing my boat with a cheap soap and its starting to leave a little bit of a haze on the black side colors. Any hints from you guys in the know on the best boat soap out now? Been a few years since I had a black boat. The F.L. yellow was easy to maintain, but black sure is boss when its kept up!! Also, two good wax jobs per year enough?? And what type wax do you guys recommend? Do you wax the awl grip deck? I used to use a magic eraser on my previous rig to get tough stains off the non skid but have been reluctant to for fear of taking off the wax as well. Any thoughts or processes are very appreciated!
Need a little time off...For Bad Behavior....

2014 Egret 2011 /Yamaha 250 SHO - sold
2019 Pathfinder 2500 hybrid 350 Verado

Replies

• HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    Take a look at those new car wash applicators that give you a spot free rinse. Also, are you drying the boat with a cham? That helps me on my vehicles.
  • cairotroutcairotrout Georgia Posts: 159 Deckhand
    Woody wax on the wax
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    cairotrout wrote: »
    Woody wax on the wax

Never use Woody Wax on a bird. It yellows the gel cote. It killed my first boats gel cote. I didn't realize it till I went to touch it up. Rejex is the best wax. It keeps ice off of jet wings and lasts a long time.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • 91tiger91tiger Posts: 555 Officer
    Just as an FYI, Frank strongly advises to let the boat cure for a few months when it's brand new before you begin applying wax to it. There are some sort of chemicals that need to "breathe" out of the fiberglass. Waxing traps these chemicals and can cause problems per Frank. You know that new boat smell when you open the compartments, once that disipates it's OK to begin to wax. I followed his advice on timing before I waxed and mine is doing great. But it was hard the first couple of months to not attack it with the wax.

For a wax (it's really a polish not a wax), I love the Starbrite Marine Polish with PTEF. I was using REJEX and it was good but the Starbrite seems to have similar results and holds up much longer.
  • silverdreamssilverdreams Posts: 234 Deckhand
    Orpine Boat Soap....regular or wash/wax.

For the deck, use Starbright Deck Cleaner with PTF (or something like that), or Woody Wax.

For waxing boat, i like using 3M Finesse it if you need to work the finish a bit, then 2 coats of Rejex. I think the key with the Rejex is to do it in a covered area (no direct sunlight) and you have to wait something like 12 hours for the application to fully cure. It's a bit of a pain to use, but it's well worth it.....I did mine about a year and a half ago and I still don't have any water stains on the bottom of the boat where I applied the Rejex.....without the Rejex previously, I would have water stains within 3 months of thoroughly cleaning the boat.
  • Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
    thanks guys for the heads up and suggestions. i think ill go with the orpine and rejex. and 91tiger.... dont worry... my fat a$$ aint waxin' nothing til the thermo reads about 72 mid day!! and ill be doing it inside the shop! Frank, You just broke ol CT's heart. He loves that woody wax stuff. Ryan, Yes, I use a chammy everytime...or to be honest, my GF does!

thanks guys for the heads up and suggestions. i think ill go with the orpine and rejex. and 91tiger.... dont worry... my fat a$$ aint waxin' nothing til the thermo reads about 72 mid day!! and ill be doing it inside the shop! Frank, You just broke ol CT's heart. He loves that woody wax stuff. Ryan, Yes, I use a chammy everytime...or to be honest, my GF does!

I am going to start training my GF for when the bird arrives.
  • Reel MullarkeyReel Mullarkey Posts: 1,873 Captain
    I'm a big fan of Orpine Wash & Wax. I use Barkeepers friend for water spots and it might work for the hazing.
    Jonathan Mullarkey's
    SUPERCLEAN SERVICES
    Professional cleaning and restoration since 1999
    CARPETS - UPHOLSTERY - TILE - GROUT - MARBLE - TERRAZZO

CLEAN - POLISH - SEAL - RESTORE - PROTECT
    561-891-1236
    www.steamcleanjupiter.com
    Take it from a man who was in the detail business. Woody Wax or Colonite. Rejex is too thick. Rejex is great on cars and trucks though. The wax didn't yellow your gel cote. You have to remove the condensation always before waxing a boat. Unless the wax was old.
    I am going to start training my GF for when the bird arrives.
    If she likes to fish.... It's not too hard. She washes the inside and the trailer, I was the outside and motor. She chammies the hole boat while I clean fish... It works:-)

If she likes to fish.... It's not too hard. She washes the inside and the trailer, I was the outside and motor. She chammies the hole boat while I clean fish... It works:-)

I'm going to push for a bikini and soap suds.
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    Before you put any Woody Wax on the boat call Frank at the factory and ask. He will tell you the same thing.

Orpine is great. I use it also.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
    Renegade I was pulling your chain and couldn't even get a rise!:crowd
    I'm going to push for a bikini and soap suds.

That works:wink

• FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,390 Officer
    Do not use Woody Wax nonskid wax for non your decks! It will yellow the gel coat! :hairraiser

Rejex is the the best Polish I've found. Even holds up better tan collinite.

Rejex is a polymer not a wax and bonds to the hull the surface.It must be clean and prepped to get max longevity out of it.
    Pre clean the hull with 3M Finesse-It II if you have no oxidation and if you do use Collinite figerglass hull cleaner 920.
    Rejex can be used on the deck for the nonskid. Remember Rejex is not a wax based product it's a polymer. Nothing will stick to it and sheds water and is not slippery at all!
    Use a soft brush or a wax pad and spread sparingly. Do not put on thick two very light coats will work.
    Apply to clean dry deck let dry buff with towel repeat!

http://www.rejex.com/
    http://www.westmarine.com/3m--finesse-it-ii-finishing-material--P004_130_001_511
    http://www.collinite.com/marine-wax/fiberglass-boat-cleaner
    I used on mine after I prepped and did't yellow mine. I also did this in a shady area. The deck must be cool during the whole process. But y'all guys have convinced me not to use again! Scared me!