Home Egret Boats

Building a Boat Shelter

HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
Hey Egret Family,

I am going to build a garage-type structure over my boat parking. I ordered the cover just in case and for resale but I am tired of covering boats.

I've seen a lot of these structures made from aluminum around south florida, something like the picture below.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I have looked at Shelterlogic. Seems good but I prefer not to go with fabric.

Replies

• Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    Check with your local building department for what is acceptable. They would not let me put one up here because it was determined by some dictator at the city of PSL that I exceeded my garage space limitation.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Check with your local building department for what is acceptable. They would not let me put one up here because it was determined by some dictator at the city of PSL that I exceeded my garage space limitation.

Found this guy. Cheap and says he meets code and wind resistance.

http://www.alansfactoryoutlet.com/carport-prices-florida-fl/
  • Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
    A lot of "guys" will say they meet code. If you live in the city, do yourself a favor and either pull the permit yourself or demand a copy from him. That being said, that style shelter can be very flimsy. Be sure to check the structural integrity of the shelter. Also, most of those type shelters do nothing for keeping anything other than sun off your bird. I have a big shop on my farm that I am afforded the ability to keep my bird totally enclosed but I built one similar to what you have here for my mowing tractor. I added sides down to about 6 inches off the ground to help with the dust and debris. This also lends to the structural integrity of the shelter. Cross bracing the bsck or even better, closing in one end will help as well. I've witnessed these things snatched right up out of the ground by high winds. That would not fair well for your new baby. If your at all handy with your carpentry skills, think about a design of 4x4 or 6x6 posts with pre fab roof trusses and 26 gauge galvalum sheets for the roof. All you'll need is a level, square. Cordless drill, one bag of concrete per pole and some sweat to build a fine shelter you can later customize to match your home. You can google instructions on how to build this or most shade tree carpenters will assemble for you for 500.00. The initial cost of the pole type shelter will be in line with what these pre fab buildings are yet much stronger. Just my .02!
    Need a little time off...For Bad Behavior....

2014 Egret 2011 /Yamaha 250 SHO - sold
    2019 Pathfinder 2500 hybrid 350 Verado
    Sorry for the dark pics. Was at the farm spraying hardwood shrubs and remembered before I left. Notice the sides added.

Very cool. That's what I want. Did you build that one? i am fairly handy with tools and have them on hand. I'll Google around.

My issue is time...
    I bought the kit and added more sheets for the sides. I also ordered two pieces of angle iron for cross braces on the back. Be sure to build your pad higher than you think you'll need and concrete would be nice for a floor but not practical for my application. If I were building it for the boat, I'd set my pad about 6 inches above grade, erect the frames( my gf and I stood them up.), put the top sheets on together so everything is square, then pour a 4" slab over with my footers outside the bottom frame to encompass the bottom frames in concrete. That would secure the entire shelter in concrete, giving you a nice slab to wash the boat on and keep dust down. A 6" deep by a shovel width footer would be more than plenty. Be sure to cross cut some relief joints in the slab every four feet. Then add the side sheets. I would think the standard 6 1/2' eave height would work for the boat. If you do that, you would only need one sheet on either side to block debris and wind. Lastly, install the rear braces unless you want to have a pull through shelter. If that be the case, grab some 1/4" cable from the supply store and cross cable the side frames together. This will give you the desired stability. Good luck!

Can you recommend a brand/source for the kit?
    Can you recommend a brand/source for the kit?

Ha. Not sure about where you are way down south!! These dang things are on every corner here. The kit is around 7-8 hundred bucks installed here. I'll do a little research tomorrow. Carolina Carports comes to mind but not sure of the logistics involved in getting one down there! I'll check and see.

Ha. Not sure about where you are way down south!! These dang things are on every corner here. The kit is around 7-8 hundred bucks installed here. I'll do a little research tomorrow. Carolina Carports comes to mind but not sure of the logistics involved in getting one down there! I'll check and see.

Yeah, I found a bunch, but to your point, want to make sure I'm dealing with the best vendor possible on the kit. No worries if you don't remember the brand.
    We have several manufacturers here. Most of their products are basically the same. Galvanized frames and aluminum sheets. Color by choice. Should come with plenty of screws. As far as time, once the pad and slab are in place, **** time is a few hours. Everything just screws together. Make sure the screws you get have rubber washers on them. Some companies will try to go cheap there. Need the washers for water integrity.