Skip to main content
Home General Freshwater Fishing

Bass regulation change meeting

bmoodybmoody Senior MemberJupiterPosts: 1,012 Officer
The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) will hold a public meeting to discuss a proposed regulation change for largemouth bass.
The meeting will be held Tuesday July 22, at the FWC South Regional Office, 8535 Northlake Blvd., West Palm Beach. An open house will start at 6:30 p.m., followed by a presentation at 7 p.m.
Participants will be encouraged to provide input on the proposal for a statewide five-fish daily bag limit, only one of which could be 16 inches total length or longer. The proposed regulation will eliminate the need for many of the special regulations that exist around the state. The proposed changes won’t affect the current tournament exemption process.
Those who attend will be able to hear from freshwater fisheries biologists about the science behind managing bass fisheries. Biologists will give a presentation on the development of this proposed rule change. The meeting is open to the public, and largemouth bass anglers are encouraged to attend and participate in a question- and- answer session.
To learn more about largemouth bass and the FWC’s current regulations, go to MyFWC.com/Fishing, and visit the “Black Bass Management” and “Regulations” links under “Freshwater Fishing.”
http://myfwc.com/fishing/freshwater/black-bass/

Replies

• RealSeabeeRealSeabee Senior Member TitusvillePosts: 583 Officer
    do you understand the proposal on the street to be 5 bag limit 14"-16" Slots Only w/ 1 over 16" allowed in the 5 bag limit?
    When Practice meets opportunity, Set-The-Hook!
    If that be the case then propose NO EXEMPTIONS for the BASS Tour and lets see them catch 4 bass 14-16" slot and one over. I'd be happy to be shown how that's done...in a TROPHY BASS State. Can you imagine pulling out on to Okee for the first tourney of the year and have to go catch 14-16" fish.... Only impacts the folks that catch and eat which, their very own numbers suggest is less than 10% of all Florida Anglers....means also that approximately 90% do not care or do not have a dog in the fight. Long arm of the government gets to do as they please AGAIN. Darn sure know that it is about the 1.25 Billion Dollars generated by Anglers in FLA and they want MORE....imo.
  • FishaHallicFishaHallic Senior Member Posts: 660 Officer
    If it was not for the "long arm of the gov't" we would not have bass to catch IMO, nor would we have clean water to fish in. Redfish is a great example, years ago after the blackened redfish crave almost wiped out the Florida redfish population and "the long arm of the gov't" reached in and put a halt to keeping any redfish for several years and the redfish population came back in great numbers. Now it is hard not to catch a redfish if you so desire and you can keep one for dinner........sounds to me like that is how things are supposed to work.

Bass are fished hard in this state (as in most states) and yet I can go out and catch some pretty decent bass on almost any lake and you can throw in a lunker here and there and it is not because I am a great fisherman but because of "the long arm of the gov't" reaching in and making common sense regulations that allow me to enjoy the sport I love. Without regulations I doubt any of this would be possible IMO.
    Redfish (back then a commercial fish) and Commercial fisherman nearly deleted them. I think (not certain) Redfish were reclassified as Sport/Game Fish in 1982'ish. Now there are Redfish FARMS that provide Redfish for consumption commercially. Any idea what the Government regulations / EPA and taxes LOOK LIKE for running a Fish Farm? This example is not the same as a fish that is already categorized as a Sport Fish. The regulations as they are have produced and will continue to produce Trophy Bass in Florida for Decades as it has, the way it is. I AM NOT in favor of any MORE Government interference in to industries that are working great and now turning an incredible profit...only now does the government think that it would be best for US to have MORE regulations.

Like I said, I know and understand that it will not work out well because only 10% of ALL Florida Anglers (<--FWC Number) keep their catches and it is the 90% deciding what we get to keep. Majority rules, just to bad the majority does not care what size get to be kept or how insanely small the "slot" is. I am pretty fired up about keeping only 14-16" Bass (2" Slot size) ...what a waste but truth is that it will only **** OFF 1 in 10 fisherman, 9 in 10 will NOT be impacted. I am interested in an opinion or view from a fisherman that keeps his catch...i already got the other 90%'s view...just wish they could see at minimum a 6" Slot but raise the bottom to 16" - 22" keeper size and NO OVER slot.
    If it was not for the "long arm of the gov't" we would not have bass to catch IMO, nor would we have clean water to fish in. Redfish is a great example, years ago after the blackened redfish crave almost wiped out the Florida redfish population and "the long arm of the gov't" reached in and put a halt to keeping any redfish for several years and the redfish population came back in great numbers. Now it is hard not to catch a redfish if you so desire and you can keep one for dinner........sounds to me like that is how things are supposed to work.

Bass are fished hard in this state (as in most states) and yet I can go out and catch some pretty decent bass on almost any lake and you can throw in a lunker here and there and it is not because I am a great fisherman but because of "the long arm of the gov't" reaching in and making common sense regulations that allow me to enjoy the sport I love. Without regulations I doubt any of this would be possible IMO.
  • bmoodybmoody Senior Member JupiterPosts: 1,012 Officer
    The rule change being discussed and supported by staff is for a 5 fish bag, only one of which may be 16" or longer. While many current special regulations could change (ex. the 18" minimum at Lake Trafford), others could stay in place.

This would not be a 14-16" slot, in fact nothing in it says anything about any minimum size. This is similar to the current regulation for bass in South Florida, where it is a 5 fish bag, only one of which may be 14" or longer.

So, in general, the regulation that staff are supporting for proposal will increase protection on larger fish AND allow greater opportunity for harvest of smaller fish.

Anyone who fishes for bass can have an interest and thus a stake in this matter -- for some that interest is based on taking fish to eat, for others it is based on belief that the fish are more valuable in the water regardless of size.
    Point being is that regulations are the reason YOU and I can go catch any bass at all. The population increase and the large increase in bass fishing in general could easily lead to no bass to catch, for you to eat or for me to catch and release if it were not for regulations. I am no biologist but I believe it is good to keep some bass and a slot limit has been proven to work in keeping bass populations healthy but your comment about the "long arm of the gov't" is way off base in this case.
    yes, you may not keep a bass under 14" or over 16" except ONE FISH. Like I said, 4 in the Slot and one over. The slot is 14" min and 16" max.

The point for me is that only 1 in 10 fisherman keep what they catch...all the other folks 9 of 10 do not really think much of it one way or the other. They want to HELP, ask. STOP allowing ONE OVER to be kept...STOP Allowing folks to SNATCH Big Bass off their BEDS...move the minimum length UP to 16"....Slot 4 fish between 16"-22" and Drop one for a 4 bagger vice 5.

bmoody wrote: »
    The rule change being discussed and supported by staff is for a 5 fish bag, only one of which may be 16" or longer. While many current special regulations could change (ex. the 18" minimum at Lake Trafford), others could stay in place.

This would not be a 14-16" slot, in fact nothing in it says anything about any minimum size. This is similar to the current regulation for bass in South Florida, where it is a 5 fish bag, only one of which may be 14" or longer.

So, in general, the regulation that staff are supporting for proposal will increase protection on larger fish AND allow greater opportunity for harvest of smaller fish.

Anyone who fishes for bass can have an interest and thus a stake in this matter -- for some that interest is based on taking fish to eat, for others it is based on belief that the fish are more valuable in the water regardless of size.
    ....folks DO NOT eat fish. Every Generation thinks the current generation is all screwed up, part of age...more population does not equal more fish necessarily. The estimate is 1.25 million (<--State number) anglers and it aint going to 2.5 million over night. Based on their numbers it might make 1.3 million in 5-8 years.

Government allowed to come make and change for NO APPARENT reason THIS TIME spells trouble down the road....plenty of samples out there for you. You can start with the 2nd amendment. Seems to me to create the "sky is falling" approach works fine based on your reaction which is what is needed. Thinking that the government has your best interest at heart is ludicrous.

Point being is that regulations are the reason YOU and I can go catch any bass at all. The population increase and the large increase in bass fishing in general could easily lead to no bass to catch, for you to eat or for me to catch and release if it were not for regulations. I am no biologist but I believe it is good to keep some bass and a slot limit has been proven to work in keeping bass populations healthy but your comment about the "long arm of the gov't" is way off base in this case.
    This meeting was in July. They held meetings around the state on this subject and you could have attended and voiced your opinion if you wanted. They may have made new regulations as far as slot lengths and #s of fish you could keep, I don't know if they did or not how about you?

The state (a red state btw, one completely dominated by the republicans) is trying to manage the species for future generations and the current ones also, would you rather the bass population be decimated like the redfish were before the state steps in? Do you really believe that fishing in this state would be better without regulations? Maybe self regulating is the answer just like some think "self deportation" will work. Please give some examples of a state that has no fishing or hunting regulations and show us how good the fishing and hunting is in those states. While your at it please show me the 2nd amendment rights I have lost in .......I don't know, maybe the last 6 years.
  • capt louiecapt louie Moderator citrus countyPosts: 10,881 Moderator
    The survey is still on the FWC site. It will increase the take of smaller bass (I didn't see a bottom size limit ?) but will require ANY tournaments to get exemptions as those regulations won't work for that. Currently lots of local and small club tournaments don't bother getting exemptions and go with 14" minimum and only one over 22" (although it's a hard thing to chuck back the second over size in a tournament :cry ) . My club uses exemptions and go with a 12" min. size to increase bag weights.

All told the overall plan seems sound as I read it.
    "You'll get your weather"