Home Egret Boats

Must Have Options on the Egret 189?

2»

Replies

• FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,390 Officer
    mbowers wrote: »
    FlatsBoy is the biggest KoolAid drinker around and if he says go with the Stiffy Pushpole holders you should probably listen to him.

Thanks for the complement! I would love to derail this thread but i won't.:grin I do take pride in my knowledge of equipment options and motor specifications and what there effects are to the product in the real world! By no means are my recommendations set in stone! That's why people have choices!

Like putting Hydraulic trims tabs on your boat! Which is pointless when the Lenco's are a better product and used by most of the boating manufactures! But being a engineer like yourself I'm sure you can give us a breakdown and analysis along with pie charts with little green men on them to there superiority! :blahblah

While your at the weld shop did you pick up a for sale sign yet for your bird yet or you just going to continue to be a kickin chicken owner?:grin

Koolaid_zps53b78602.jpg
  • HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    Yes. I believe his boat came with it. I'll ask him and confirm or pm him under Cairo trout. 10x agree with the LED running lights. I came in well after dark earlier this week. Docked and loaded using only the bow lights. I strongly encourage the compass. Even if you never use it. It's better than that one time you need it and can't find the pocket compass. Most phones have one but I still am old school and believe in them. Like I said, electronics fail. There hVe been a many of seamen who lost their rigs or worse because they knew "exactly"where they were. Just my .02.

Thanks guys. I've made a bunch of changes in response to all your suggestions. the Shark LED nav lights are now standard, confirmed today.

I put the compass back in, eliminated the lip on the console, added rod holders front and back on the gunwales, added to rod holders to the front of the poling platform, moved batteries to the front compartment to compensate for the HEAVY (by 50 pounds) Yamaha F150 on the back, confirmed my speakers and amp are JL Audio, and some more stuff. The NEMA connection from GPS to motor and stereo requires $2,000 in equipment upgrades. I am going to pass on that right now.

You guys have really helped me with this. I appreciate it.

P.S. Frank assures me that the boat needs 600 pounds of even pressure to lower the draft one inch, so as long as rigging and loading compensate for the extra weight of the Power Pole and F150, I should be fine, and a 4-blade prop will give me a good hole shot. :cool:

Ice Blue w/ Yamaha F150 it is! I am going to post my final build sheet when I get it updated.
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    Its only $250 in parts to connect your gps from the buss connector(Command Link Hub) your fuel monitor is connected to. I have done it to my last 2011 Egret and to my newest boat.

You will need this part
    http://www.boemarine.com/yamaha-command-link-to-nmea2000-adapter-cable-w-existing-nmea2000-network/

and a nema starter kit.
    http://www.boemarine.com/garmin-nmea-2000-starter-kit/

The part above connects to the existing Yamaha command link hub Frank will run to connect the fuel data(second square gauge Frank Installs). Its a 1 hour job because its so tight to maneuver in the console and so much easier to do during the build.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Its only $250 in parts to connect your gps from the buss connector your fuel monitor is connected to. I have done it to my last 2011 Egret and to my newest boat.

Thanks. I did tell Frank I was going to research that one further.
    Ok. I edited my post with the part links. The 500 you pay extra for the fuel moniter system includes the installation of Yamaha s proprietary nema network to your console. The Mare-003 has the connector and diodes to convert it to the standard Nema 2000 standard.
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Ok. I edited my post with the part links. The 500 you pay extra for the fuel moniter system includes the installation of Yamaha s proprietary nema network to your console. The Mare-003 has the connector and diodes to convert it to the standard Nema 2000 standard.

Do I have to upgrade the GPS unit?
    I just looked at the specs for Garmin 547 xs and it says its NEMA 2000 compatible. I would install a Lowrance Touch 7 or 9 so you can use Egret Landings new chip when he releases it but you are good.
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,390 Officer
    Do I have to upgrade the GPS unit?

Why would you only put a 547xs on the boat.With all the other options your doing even the top of the line stereo unit to boot. Do at least the 820xs $1500 or the Lowrance HDS Touch 7 $1149
  • Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
    91tiger wrote: »
    Cairo, I felt sure you must be turning a 3 blade with those speed numbers. How is the hole shot? Per what Bad Behavior is saying it sounds like it is pretty good. I may have to try a 3 blade on mine one day down the road.

Does it slip at all when cornering? Can you trim it out pretty high?

With the 4 blade that most of the F150’s are running you will only see 51 to 52 max. 55+ is pretty sweet.

I can email you the video if you want to see it. Just pm me your address.
    Need a little time off...For Bad Behavior....

2014 Egret 2011 /Yamaha 250 SHO - sold
    2019 Pathfinder 2500 hybrid 350 Verado
    FlatsBoy wrote: »
    Why would you only put a 547xs on the boat.With all the other options your doing even the top of the line stereo unit to boot. Do at least the 820xs $1500 or the Lowrance HDS Touch 7 $1149

My sentiments exactly. Asked Frank about it today. Had seen a larger touch screen unit with John Skidmore during me sea trial and thought that is what I was getting. :huh

I'm following up on that one.
  • mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand
    with John Skidmore during me sea trial
    Yarr did Skidmore make you wear the pirate costume or just talk like one during the sea trial? :)
    mbowers wrote: »
    Yarr did Skidmore make you wear the pirate costume or just talk like one during the sea trial? :)

No pirate talk just heavy Brittish accent.
    I incorporated many of your suggestions. Updated build sheet below.

Description:
    Standard Boat W/O engine& rigging components,gauges
    HP 150 Engine Yamaha
    Rigging Components & Gauges

Forward Casting Platform easily removable (attached to collapsable cleat on hatch in addition to reg bow cleat)
    8' Powerpole Blade Series/Remote Control
    Helm Seat Cushions
    Backrest
    Console Mounted Rod Holders (1 pair)
    Flush mounted gunwale rod holders, two forward, two aft
    Two welded, vertically oriented rod holders on the poling platform
    GPS/Fish Finder/Shoot through Hull Tranx Garmin 1040xs pair with amp via bluetooth

Edson Steering Wheel

Min-Kota 24 V wiring,2 Premium Batteries, switch,plate & circuit breaker (batteries under front storage w/ plexiglass)
    Fuel Management connect to GPS via MARE-003
    Wind Screen
    Color Hull - Ice Blue
    Triple battery charger Stealth

Boat Cover
    Cigarette Lighter Socket
    Stainless Steel Prop (4 Blade prop for maximum hole shot target 53-55mph top end)
    EZ Loader Aluminum Trailer, S/S Hardware, Aluminum wheels
    65 Quart Yeti Cooler

Custom Options:
    4 JL Audio 6.5" speakers, Amp,MP3 conector. Amp w/ bluetooth capability or bluetooth dongle
    Yeti coller cushion and backrest
    Armstrong 3-step ladder w/ bracket ML3-34 or ML3-40 http://www.armstrongnautical.com/marine_ladders.htm
    Install premium FL call numbers on both sides of hull
    live well aerator (bubbles)
    Add flush-capable cleat AFT
    Dual hella nav light for poling platform like Skidmore's
    2 green Led below-water lights on stern
    2 Adjustable LED spreader lights on poling platform facing console
    Pole caddy on poling platform
    Standard plastic push pole holders
    Include Richie compass and standard (no more lip!)
    Small stainless loop (circle) installed on console by helm for use tying hooks
    Engine trim control on poling platform
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    I incorporated many of your suggestions. Updated build sheet below.

Description:
    Standard Boat W/O engine& rigging components,gauges
    HP 150 Engine Yamaha
    Rigging Components & Gauges

Forward Casting Platform easily removable (attached to collapsable cleat on hatch in addition to reg bow cleat)
    8' Powerpole Blade Series/Remote Control
    Helm Seat Cushions
    Backrest
    Console Mounted Rod Holders (1 pair)
    Flush mounted gunwale rod holders, two forward, two aft
    Two welded, vertically oriented rod holders on the poling platform
    GPS/Fish Finder/Shoot through Hull Tranx Garmin 1040xs pair with amp via bluetooth

Edson Steering Wheel

Min-Kota 24 V wiring,2 Premium Batteries, switch,plate & circuit breaker (batteries under front storage w/ plexiglass)
    Fuel Management connect to GPS via MARE-003
    Wind Screen
    Color Hull - Ice Blue
    Triple battery charger Stealth

Boat Cover
    Cigarette Lighter Socket
    Stainless Steel Prop (4 Blade prop for maximum hole shot target 53-55mph top end)
    EZ Loader Aluminum Trailer, S/S Hardware, Aluminum wheels
    65 Quart Yeti Cooler

Custom Options:
    4 JL Audio 6.5" speakers, Amp,MP3 conector. Amp w/ bluetooth capability or bluetooth dongle
    Yeti coller cushion and backrest
    Armstrong 3-step ladder w/ bracket ML3-34 or ML3-40 http://www.armstrongnautical.com/marine_ladders.htm
    Install premium FL call numbers on both sides of hull
    live well aerator (bubbles)
    Add flush-capable cleat AFT
    Dual hella nav light for poling platform like Skidmore's
    2 green Led below-water lights on stern
    2 Adjustable LED spreader lights on poling platform facing console
    Pole caddy on poling platform
    Standard plastic push pole holders
    Include Richie compass and standard (no more lip!)
    Small stainless loop (circle) installed on console by helm for use tying hooks
    Engine trim control on poling platform

Have you looked at any other trailers? You might want to compare them if only in pictures. Good Luck... Pete
  • cairotroutcairotrout Georgia Posts: 159 Deckhand
    No slipping on prop and trims out well.
  • Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
    Have you looked at any other trailers? You might want to compare them if only in pictures. Good Luck... Pete

Check out the Sport Trail trailers. Call Kevin. I'm not sure if he has built one for the 189 but I'm sure he will accommodate you. I looked at them all and have been very satisfied with my Sport Trail. Look back, Phil posted a video of the Sport Trail build I believe. If not, google it. Pretty bad A!
    Need a little time off...For Bad Behavior....

2014 Egret 2011 /Yamaha 250 SHO - sold
    2019 Pathfinder 2500 hybrid 350 Verado
  • jobejobe Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    I went through this exciting process about a year ago and ended up with a 189 with an F150. I have been happy as a clam with the boat. There are many on this board with more experience and expertise than me and during my build I took advantage of the information contained in the many posts as well as conversations with enthusiastic Egret owners and Frank's patient consultation. One simple thing I did that has not been mentioned was to raise the height of the front platform a couple inches to chair height and put two flush mount rod holders in it. I put a cushion on it and either me or a guest has a comfortable place to fish while we wander around the marshes in SE North Carolina.
    Have fun!
    Joe