Home Egret Boats

Must Have Options on the Egret 189?

HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
I wanted to ask the Egret family what options are must haves. If you want to read through what I have currently spec-ed out, my build sheet is below.

This is the fun part of getting a new boat, designing it precisely for your needs!

Description:
Standard Boat W/O engine& rigging components,gauges
HP F150 Engine Yamaha 4-Stroke
Rigging Components & Gauges - digital gauges & fuel management option
Forward removable Casting Platform
8' Powerpole Blade Series/Remote Control
Helm Seat Cushions
Backrest
Console Mounted Rod Holders (1 pair)
GPS/Fish Finder/Shoot through Hull Tranx Garmin 547 xs
Edson Steering Wheel
Minn Kota trolling motor bracket and 24v wiring - mounting my iPilot 90
Fuel Management
Wind Screen
Color Hull - Ice Blue w/ Color Console
Triple battery charger Stealth
Boat Cover
Cigarette Lighter Socket
Stainless Steel Prop
EZ Loader Aluminum Trailer, S/S Hardware, Aluminum wheels
45 Quart Yeti Cooler w/ seat cushion(s)

Custom Options:
Armstrong removable 3-step ladder (bracket on stern)
4 JBL speakers (two behind console and two front) w/ amp/mp3 connect
Install premium FL call numbers on both sides of hull
Include suitable Anchor and transom straps
Battery operated live well aerator (bubbles)
Add flush-capable cleat AFT
Dual hella nav light for poling platform
2 green Led below-water lights on stern
2 Adjustable LED spreader lights on poling platform facing console
Pole caddy on poling platform
Removable aluminum push pole holders
Delete richie compass and add lip to top of console to hold "stuff"

Replies

• trponhuntertrponhunter Posts: 249 Deckhand
    awl grip deck instead of gel coat to me is a must. Once you have it, you will never want a boat with gel coat again. Also, JL audio is much better than the JBL stuff. Also, check out the cushions - I would make sure they are closed cell foam and also that they are firm enough that you do not bottom them out when sitting on them - much better for longevity and for your back. Sea dek on poling and casting platforms. Sounds like a pretty loaded boat.
    *Previous - 2000 Egret 189 carbon w/ vmax 150 - twin rotating prop
    *Previous - 2008 Egret 189 carbon w/ ETEC 150
    *Previous 2010 Beavertail Vengence w/ETEC 90
    *Current - 2015 Beavertail BTV w/ Suzuki 90
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,390 Officer
    As i can see your choosing some good options and some that will just add pointless weight to the boat. If draft is a concern like you say. Then putting the heaviest motor on the boat the F-150 along with amps and stereo equipment and extra lights etc. all add up in weight! Don't be surprised when the boat doesn't get up on some of those flats in Flamingo! I ran a lean machine when i would go to Flamingo with my 189 and I know you'll be wishing you went with the lighter motor! :shrug

Also I would go with the Stiffy plastic push pole holders. I would also keep the compass! The lip on the console is a waist!
  • Amurleopard1967Amurleopard1967 Posts: 267 Deckhand
    Also make sure you get the flush mount rod holders one on each side of the seat, I use them all the time. And at least one in the front next to the trolling motor. I use that one every time I am out.
  • Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
    Absolutely keep the compass!! You may never use it but then again, electronics fail and if your in a fog, at least you can idle in the correct direction! Awl grip all the way!!! Remember this is your rig. There are some great guys on this forum with years of expert opinions, however, you do not want to be standing on the bow of your new bird and saying .... I wish I'd have.... Definitely agree with the flush rod holders. I have two up front, two in the rear. I went with the ratchet style straps after much thought, love them. Takes me all of about ten seconds to secure the boat for travel. Give some thought to what the guys on here have to say. Many of them know these boats from front to back and free construction knowledge is priceless. I aggravated the heck out of Phil, Pete, Frank R, and Frank A for several months. They were all incredibly helpful, along with many others here. Congrats again on the build. The only issue I have now is finding time to work without wanting to be on my Egret!!
    Need a little time off...For Bad Behavior....

2014 Egret 2011 /Yamaha 250 SHO - sold
    2019 Pathfinder 2500 hybrid 350 Verado
  • HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    Absolutely keep the compass!! You may never use it but then again, electronics fail and if your in a fog, at least you can idle in the correct direction! Awl grip all the way!!! Remember this is your rig. There are some great guys on this forum with years of expert opinions, however, you do not want to be standing on the bow of your new bird and saying .... I wish I'd have.... Definitely agree with the flush rod holders. I have two up front, two in the rear. I went with the ratchet style straps after much thought, love them. Takes me all of about ten seconds to secure the boat for travel. Give some thought to what the guys on here have to say. Many of them know these boats from front to back and free construction knowledge is priceless. I aggravated the heck out of Phil, Pete, Frank R, and Frank A for several months. They were all incredibly helpful, along with many others here. Congrats again on the build. The only issue I have now is finding time to work without wanting to be on my Egret!!

Thanks BB.

Thanks for sending me suggestions, guys. I feel like I am getting married to a boat. I have at least $1,600 more in my budget for additional options, so keep the suggestions coming!!

I spoke to Frank and he says the Awl grip is not needed at all. It is a good option on older boats. He also said that the sea deck on the platforms is not good because it doesn't last.I am going to take that advice.

I will never, ever use that compass; I always know where shore is from where I fish. Even if I need one I can have a small handheld in my tackle box. It does look cool but I would like to have a little area on top of the console to throw hooks and the like. I do this a lot. Or maybe I can keep the compass for looks and get a little container with suction cups for the hooks.

I can see where a couple of more rod holders could be good.
    FlatsBoy wrote: »
    As i can see your choosing some good options and some that will just add pointless weight to the boat. If draft is a concern like you say. Then putting the heaviest motor on the boat the F-150 along with amps and stereo equipment and extra lights etc. all add up in weight! Don't be surprised when the boat doesn't get up on some of those flats in Flamingo! I ran a lean machine when i would go to Flamingo with my 189 and I know you'll be wishing you went with the lighter motor! :shrug

Also I would go with the Stiffy plastic push pole holders. I would also keep the compass! The lip on the console is a waist!

**** FB, a little harsh on my bells and whistles! LOL I spoke to Frank in detail today about weight distribution and draft. He said it takes 600 pounds of weight on the overall hull to push the draft down an inch. The lights and amp are very minimal. The worst thing is the weight on the transom.

Yes I am worried about the weight of the motor, but I want the ease of maintenance and quiet ride of the F150. At the end of the day it is only 50 pounds more on the transom and Frank said this may be a 1/2" of draft, and could be overcome with better weight distribution in the front.

Also I almost never run live wells and I can put more of my gear in the front box to compensate. Again, if it is compensated for on the bow, it takes 600 pounds total to push it a single inch.
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    Thanks BB.

Thanks for sending me suggestions, guys. I feel like I am getting married to a boat. I have at least $1,600 more in my budget for additional options, so keep the suggestions coming!!

I spoke to Frank and he says the Awl grip is not needed at all. It is a good option on older boats. He also said that the sea deck on the platforms is not good because it doesn't last.I am going to take that advice.

I will never, ever use that compass; I always know where shore is from where I fish. Even if I need one I can have a small handheld in my tackle box. It does look cool but I would like to have a little area on top of the console to throw hooks and the like. I do this a lot. Or maybe I can keep the compass for looks and get a little container with suction cups for the hooks.

You've purchased a top of the line boat...Buy a top of the line trailer. Good Luck...Pete

PS. How long before you get that Trashy boat?
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 606 Officer
    Double deck the front compartment-- sub-floor
    Console grab rail
    powder coat,poling platform,rod holders, console rail
    Dekka batts instead of odyssey
    x2 on the JL Audio
    pair of flush cleats under poling platform.
    45 yeti is small--think 6 pack and bag of ice.
    Everyone goes bigger--50-65-105.
    Keep compass--you never know--it's not for looks.
    Rod lockers--shocks,spring,string..........

Tons is info on this site.

Good luck
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,390 Officer
    **** FB, a little harsh on my bells and whistles! LOL I spoke to Frank in detail today about weight distribution and draft. He said it takes 600 pounds of weight on the overall hull to push the draft down an inch. The lights and amp are very minimal. The worst thing is the weight on the transom.

Yes I am worried about the weight of the motor, but I want the ease of maintenance and quiet ride of the F150. At the end of the day it is only 50 pounds more on the transom and Frank said this may be a 1/2" of draft, and could be overcome with better weight distribution in the front.

Also I almost never run live wells and I can put more of my gear in the front box to compensate. Again, if it is compensated for on the bow, it takes 600 pounds total to push it a single inch.

Just speaking from real world experience of on the water use of the boat. After three years of ownership and fishing it you learn some things!

That 1/2 to 3/4 inch will prevent you from getting hung up on say the back of Murray Key on the crown of the flat or getting over those humps to get to those spots with pockets of deeper water!

Good Luck with the build. I'm sure it will turn out great they always do!
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    Make sure the boat cover-covers the hull sides. Upgrade the rear hatch . I did not notice a VHF.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
    My bud just bought a pristine CK 189 with a F150. That thing runs like a scalded dog when he hammers down. Hole shot is very close to mine on the 2011 with the 250 SHO. I have a video of the hole shot if youd like to see it and anyone can tell me how to load one on here! Pm me your email and ill send it over.

• cairotroutcairotrout Georgia Posts: 159 Deckhand
    Get the Ameritrail trailer!
  • trponhuntertrponhunter Posts: 249 Deckhand
    Thanks BB.

ask anyone that has an awl grip deck if they would ever have gelcoat again? can't even imagine Frank would say its not needed - unless he doesn't like doing them. The clean up, grip and stain resistance is not even close. Also, I think you're getting good advice here regarding the weight on the transom - if you want to be skinnier, you need to reduce options and go light on the motor - personally -I would put a suzuki 140 on the back if it were my bird. Also, getting hung on in Flamingo happens a lot - the difference of an inch or so is sometimes the difference between getting to fish or not - choose your poison. Sea dek doesn't last???? I'm really surprised at some of this adivce - again - no contest in terms of grip and comfort - sea dek will last years with no issues.
    *Previous - 2000 Egret 189 carbon w/ vmax 150 - twin rotating prop
    *Previous - 2008 Egret 189 carbon w/ ETEC 150
    *Previous 2010 Beavertail Vengence w/ETEC 90
    *Current - 2015 Beavertail BTV w/ Suzuki 90
    My bud just bought a pristine CK 189 with a F150. That thing runs like a scalded dog when he hammers down. Hole shot is very close to mine on the 2011 with the 250 SHO. I have a video of the hole shot if youd like to see it and anyone can tell me how to load one on here! Pm me your email and ill send it over.

Hey Bad Behavior, PM'ed you my email address. Yes, I'd love the see the video. Draft and hole shots are a concern for me but I have committed to the F150 at this point.
    ask anyone that has an awl grip deck if they would ever have gelcoat again? can't even imagine Frank would say its not needed - unless he doesn't like doing them. The clean up, grip and stain resistance is not even close. Also, I think you're getting good advice here regarding the weight on the transom - if you want to be skinnier, you need to reduce options and go light on the motor - personally -I would put a suzuki 140 on the back if it were my bird. Also, getting hung on in Flamingo happens a lot - the difference of an inch or so is sometimes the difference between getting to fish or not - choose your poison. Sea dek doesn't last???? I'm really surprised at some of this adivce - again - no contest in terms of grip and comfort - sea dek will last years with no issues.

Can Awldeck and Seadek be added later without too much hassle?
  • lowerkeyslowerkeys Posts: 99 Greenhorn
    I bought a used 189 so I can't say I have experience with the build process. However, I do wish my boat had a Bimini top. I don't know if that is an option but you may want to start planning on getting some shade.
    lowerkeys wrote: »
    I bought a used 189 so I can't say I have experience with the build process. However, I do wish my boat had a Bimini top. I don't know if that is an option but you may want to start planning on getting some shade.

The first thing I did when I got my Carolina Skiff was remove the bimini top and install push pole holders. I am mostly a rod fisherman and a bimini top is not compatible.
  • 91tiger91tiger Posts: 555 Officer
    Yes, you can absolutely add the Awl Grip at any point later. I did it on my Hells Bay after about 7 years and it was like getting a brand new boat again. My plan when building my 189 is to do the exact same thing. Use it for several years and then if the decks start showing some age then take it to Frank and have the decks done in Awl Grip and the powder coating redone. No regrets on that plan so far. Yes, the standard non skid is harder to clean than my Awl Grip on my Hells Bay but with Starbrite Non Skid Cleaner, it's really no problem at all. I also found a product made by ArmorAll that isn't slick but makes clean up of the non skid much better.

If you get Awl Grip during the build, you are paying to have Frank sand off perfectly good non skid and apply the Awl Grip. It's a nice option but I preferred to get some use out of the non skid from the mold before I pay to sand it off.

Without a doubt get a pair of recessed rod holders in both the front and rear decks. I don't think they could be installed after the build easily...this is your one shot at this one, unlike the Awlgrip. Every time I go to deploy or pull my t-motor I stick a rod in one of the holders in the front deck. If you tarpon fish at all you will want them in the front and rear. The boat drifts perfectly sideways to the wind and you can get a really nice bait spread putting one rod in the holder on the platform and one in the front deck.

45 quart yeti is way small. Go with the 65 or 105, put SeaDek on it and use it as your casting platform. That helps get more weight forward to offset the F150. The Yeti won't move around on the front deck while running unless it is crazy rough...at least it won't on the factory non skid, it might on the awl grip, it's slicker.

I disagree with Frank about SeaDek for the platform. I love mine. Much more comfortable to sit or stand on. But you could add it easily down the road.

I had Frank add a couple of vertical rod holders to the front of the poling platform. They are great for a bait net or to put you rod in while poling so you can fish too. Text me and I will send you the pics of them. They are behind the platform step and haven't ever gotten in the way.

I would like to see some of your light options you listed once you get it built. Sounds nice.
  • FishinMcNutFishinMcNut Posts: 536 Officer
    In no particular order. I have all of these and would do them over again on a new build:
    Blue tooth dongle for stereo
    Polymer shut off valves for livewell drains (Frank installed)
    Shut off valves for livewell inlets. ( both wells will stay bone dry. Less draft and more dry storage)
    Yes to two each flush mount rod holders front and rear.
    Rolls Axle trailer. Sorry guys, it is 100% stainless and aluminum. Not one ounce of galvanized on it.
    Flush rear cleats
    Bridle tow eyes for that rare time you will need to tow it.
    Compass. I resisted for years and just installed one. It is a safety device!
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    91tiger wrote: »
    Without a doubt get a pair of recessed rod holders in both the front and rear decks.

I agree with that. I installed mine years after the build and it was not an easy job. However, I use all of them regularly. I have two on the platform, two on the platform leaning rail, and four in the deck flush. The flush holders each point 45 deg off the rail to the stern and to the bow. CE Smith holders were the best.

I think the 150 4 stroke is too heavy if you ever want to fish on the shallow side. It will affect the draft on the stern at least opportune time. The extra inch or so does make a big difference when you need it. The only way I would consider that is if you mount the batteries under the console or two up front and that is not ideal for access but does work very well performance wise. I moved all of batteries to the console floor and use the extra space under the seat for storage and it works much better for me. My boat floats better that way and I have a 2 stroke 175 that weighs about 415 lbs. Also, the Yamaha line although great motors cost about 3x the cost to fix. The parts are about that much more by comparison most places. The seadeck lasts but if you get a custom design in it, the design does not wear well. Its good for the platform but don't put a logo or anything like that in it. The lip on the console is probably not worth it. If you want storage there, do something different. I had a small custom alum. box with a sliding door fabricated and powder coated and installed up there and I have my GPS mounted on top of that. Great for keys, wallet, etc.
    Oh, be sure to do the Livorsi LED shark eye nav lights. They are incredible. The nav lights on the console will completely blind you if it's a little foggy. The Livorsi's are really small but unbelievably bright. I can run up the Button Wood Canal on the back country side of Flamingo in complete darkness and see the trees on both sides and pick up the no wake markers with no spot light.

I took my Livorsi's to Frank to install and he really liked them and I think he has done them on a bunch of boats since.
  • UFGator86UFGator86 Posts: 99 Deckhand
    Garmin 741xs with NEMA connection to motor and stereo. I had an 07 just like your ordering amazing boat. Moccasin has the NEMa set described - big boat capability on your flats boat thanks to the new Garmin.

Thanks BB, saw the video. Like the yellow hull color too. Rethinking my ice blue

Is he running a 4 blade prop?
  • Amurleopard1967Amurleopard1967 Posts: 267 Deckhand
    Also one more thing I would get is the LED indicator switch kit for your trim tabs, I hated the rocker
    switch for my trim tabs and would never get another boat without the LED switch kit. I had Frank
    put that on my boat, i think it was the first one he did with it. No more counting, the LED tells you what you need
    and also automatically brings up the tabs when you shut off the key.
    http://www.lencomarine.com/index.php/products/lenco-switch-kits/led-indicator-switch-kit-single
    Yes. I believe his boat came with it. I'll ask him and confirm or pm him under Cairo trout. 10x agree with the LED running lights. I came in well after dark earlier this week. Docked and loaded using only the bow lights. I strongly encourage the compass. Even if you never use it. It's better than that one time you need it and can't find the pocket compass. Most phones have one but I still am old school and believe in them. Like I said, electronics fail. There hVe been a many of seamen who lost their rigs or worse because they knew "exactly"where they were. Just my .02.

• cairotroutcairotrout Georgia Posts: 159 Deckhand
    Thats right. I remember now saying I couldnt believe the hole shot it had with the 3 blade. My Bad!!:shrug I guess the elongated head Cairo Trout has is just super aerodynamic!!

Cairo, I felt sure you must be turning a 3 blade with those speed numbers. How is the hole shot? Per what Bad Behavior is saying it sounds like it is pretty good. I may have to try a 3 blade on mine one day down the road.

Does it slip at all when cornering? Can you trim it out pretty high?

With the 4 blade that most of the F150’s are running you will only see 51 to 52 max. 55+ is pretty sweet.
  • mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand
    Also one more thing I would get is the LED indicator switch kit for your trim tabs, I hated the rocker
    switch for my trim tabs and would never get another boat without the LED switch kit. I had Frank
    put that on my boat, i think it was the first one he did with it. No more counting, the LED tells you what you need
    and also automatically brings up the tabs when you shut off the key.
    http://www.lencomarine.com/index.php/products/lenco-switch-kits/led-indicator-switch-kit-single

I love my indicators as well. I really like the feel of the rocker switches but wanted to know where the tabs were so I ordered the indicator 6885255.jpg
    Too bad Frank can't read his own build sheet and installed the switch indicator combo which is not what I ordered and is NOT visible while driving standing up. The switch combo was poorly installed with a hack job on the switch panel and maybe two bolts holding it on. The whole thing feels very mushy but so far has remained attached. After I spotted the screw up the indicator was added to the top of the console where it should be but it conflicted with the binnacle and I couldn't get to full throttle.

I hated that the tabs would retract every time I turned off the key, both for the noise and the fact I would have to adjust the tabs again to exactly where they were on the previous drift. To me the tab indicator has much more value if the tabs don't always start at zero. I can remember where I just set the tabs a minute ago but what I did 30 to 90 mins ago at the start of my drift might not be so fresh in my mind. I got some great service from Tabman about which wire to disconnect and now I'm happier than a tarpon in a worm swarm.

I would say get a compass but I would strongly recommend installing that yourself. The factory installs them with just enough wiring to barely reach the switch so if you ever drop your switch panel for anything, you'll never get your compass light to work without rewiring it. Just ask Monoman!

If you're tall (like more than 5'6") I really, really like the extra tall and extra wide grab rails. I don't think I've seen those on any other boat.

Be really careful with the trailer. I think it's pretty easy to get a 189 on a single axle without brakes to weigh more than 3000lbs which is illegal in FL. Another good reason for carbon / kevlar..

You don't have a poling platform mentioned in the build list. Good call! Based on my multiple experiences of the platforms lasting less than two years I would recommend finding your own welder but buying the top from the factory. I will be posting pictures of a properly designed poling platform after I get mine back from the welding shop.

FlatsBoy is the biggest KoolAid drinker around and if he says go with the Stiffy Pushpole holders you should probably listen to him. I think you could still use the Egret mounting system of the threaded insert to make them removable. I think the stainless disc with threaded studs is a great design for mounting things to the gunnels, just stay away from the aluminum knobs..
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    kool-aid-thumb-200x201.gif
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas