Cedar Key spearfishing: 07-02 2014

I always appreciate you Big Benders posting your reports so here’s one to contribute to the madness. In comparison to the Atlantic off St. Augustine/Jax where I now live you Big Bend duders have a great area to fish with little competition for resources (relative to Jax/St Augy). I sure miss the Big Bend area and you Big Benders!

I digress……

My original Plan A was to offshore fish St Augy last Wednesday but TS Author messed up those plans with forecasted winds stronger than I wanted to run & fish in. Ironically on Tuesday my friend Evan from Gainesville called with an offer to spearfish Cedar Key and it appeared that TS Author was not expected to have much of an impact in the Gulf-forecasted winds were only 10 knots. Perfect…I love fishing & diving out of Cedar Key so Plan B it is!

Plan B: Wednesday morning I left Ponte Vedra early to meet Evan and his crew at the Cedar Key dock 3 hours away. We quickly stowed gear and launched the boat. On board Evan’s 28 foot AmeraCat catamaran was his 6 year old son Ethan (a TROOPER!!), his father Johnny and his friend Kennedy. Conditions were excellent at the ramp with light easterly winds and it looked like it would be a gorgeous day.

P1050137-L.jpg
Evan’s 28’ AmeraCat
A great platform to dive off of!

P1050118-L.jpg
Running out

On the way out Evan and his father Johnny did a quick dive in 56 feet to check out a spot and picked up a couple of red grouper and hogs. I gotta say it’s really, really cool for a son to be able to dive & spearfish with his father! Evan and Johnny have had many adventures together and it was cool to be part of another one with them.

P1050121-L.jpg
3 generations of Stern’s!!
Six yr old Ethan was a TROOPER the entire day offshore!

After that we continued offshore starting in 72 feet and working easterly inshore to shallower water as we hit numerous spots- almost all of them small so we did bounce dives. Every drop would end up in a couple of fish, some of which the red groupers were really nice sized fire trucks.

P1050123-L.jpg
Kennedy with a nice pair of reds - one of which would go 17.5 lbs at the dock.

P1050125-L.jpg
Me with a red

P1050129-L.jpg
Ethan with his father and a couple of reds

P1050131-L.jpg
Ethan the trooper!

P1050136-L.jpg
Kennedy with the last gag of the day

P1050134-L.jpg
Second count to double check numbers:
9 reds, 5 gag, 3 hogfish, 2 scamp, and 2 mangos

Conditions: From 72 - 45 feet the U/W temperature was 85 ˚F with a dark thermocline at 33 feet. Above the thermocline the water was dark & dirty. On the bottom horizontal vis was 40 feet with a fair amount of suspended particulate. A few nurse sharks were seen plus three large jewfish (Goliath) hanging out on a long 5 foot ledge.

P1050144-L.jpg
Gotta love fresh phish samwitches over July 4th holiday weekend!

Hoo Yah!

Brian

Replies

• Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,897 Captain
    I've been curious to see what some of the productive spots I fish look like down on the bottom. I'm really thinking about getting certified so I can swim down there and feed them some steel if they won't eat a hook and line.
  • bonebone Posts: 1,100 Officer
    Nice fish. Hope you never find any of my spots.
  • huntentailshuntentails Posts: 1,696 Captain
    Great Report and Pictures
    :beer
    58c3c16f-8a45-4d30-b16f-bc3107cf4657_zpsplzwx9u1.jpg0af8c5e9-faa1-4c9d-81d3-c711ee6ce6e3_zpsojsft7fc.jpg
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,779 Captain
    Awesome way to spend a July day and fill yer freezer/ some fine eating!!! Nice work Gize!!!!!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • Scott CrownScott Crown Posts: 661 Officer
    Awesome report Brain. Glad you come back to this side for some fun.
  • keypondkeypond Posts: 2,017 Officer
    Glad to see you making it back over here once in a while. Great report!

BTW I miss the grouper/stone crab/dinner picture posts you used to put up. :)
    Chris

Reel Time w/Florida Sportsman Guest Host
    Sight Fishing AJ's, Say What
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCSPHOHuw-M&list=UU7OK0PWEO7jknYHsykHcjaA&index=1&feature=plcp
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,704 Moderator
    Sweet trip Brian! Odd there were not more hogfish in the count ?
    "You'll get your weather"
  • APEAPE Posts: 973 Officer
    Nice job Brian glad to see you on the West side, I use to work with Kennedy many years ago glad to see he hasn't changed.
  • kingkong954kingkong954 Posts: 639 Officer
    Nice report and great pics!
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,533 Captain
    Great to see some of the best eating Grouper in your picture, can't hardly beat Scamp...
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • FishesmanFishesman Posts: 416 Deckhand
    I love that last pic. Super nice mess of fish. Those reds are beasts!
  • Fishin RodFishin Rod Posts: 2,620 Captain
    Great report Brian. I miss my days of spearing off of Suwannee, some of the BEST spearfishing in the state IMO......
    "Be what you is"....... Isaiah Minter
  • smhsmh Posts: 233 Deckhand
    Great work! I really like that last picture of the fish lined up!