First snook on the fly!!

twobblestwobbles Posts: 38 Deckhand
So with all these pilchards on the beach I decided to head out a few days last week to try my luck with the 8 weight. Bait was all over the place and it wasn't long before I was spotting snook moving in with the incoming. Was tossing a big white fly (don't know the name) and was making casts every few minutes to singles or little groups cruising along. Most would come up and nose the fly before either turning away or opening their mouths to inhale it while I let it drift, while others tried to rip the rod from my hands as soon as the fly hit the water. All in all an awesome couple days walking the beach sight fishing. And I only had to drive about 20 minutes to do it! :grin

Just wish I had a measuring tape to get a length on some of these bad boys so I don't have to guess at their size... :shrug (feel free to estimate lol I'm 6')

Replies

• twobblestwobbles Posts: 38 Deckhand
    whoops sorry the pics are so massive :huh
  • SUPER DSUPER D Posts: 661 Officer
    Great looking fish, East coast or West? looks kinda SE.

:thumbsup
  • remo_5_0remo_5_0 Posts: 264 Deckhand
    Those are awesome!!! Nice job!
  • ShadowcastShadowcast Wimauma, FLPosts: 1,051 Officer
    Awesome fish! Great job! I threw up a Hail Mary Saturday and Sunday morning on St. Pete Beach.... only saw a few fish and no go! Too much foot traffic.
    Capt. Jon Bull
    @shadowcastflyfishing
    Sales Rep - Ankona Boats, Salt Marsh Skiffs, Tavernier Skiff Company
  • twobblestwobbles Posts: 38 Deckhand
    Thanks guys!

SuperD: It was in the southeast around broward they were all over

Shadowcast: Yea I was usually off the beach by 10 or 11 at the latest unless I found a relatively secluded spot..good luck next time!
  • tarponhuntertarponhunter Posts: 305 Deckhand
    You were catching these off broward?!! Why can't I buy a bite for my life lol. Nice fish tho hopefully I'll be able to get some before the summer ends
  • TgrassTgrass Posts: 204 Deckhand
    Those are all excellent fish, and more than one I would estimate to be over 3 ft. If you don't always carry a tape measure you could put a couple of marks on the rod at 6 inch intervals to use as a guide. We will sometimes take the stick on eyes we for flies and stick them to the rod and a drop of cement to hold them on.
  • weetzaweetza Posts: 156 Officer
    **** I live in Pompano, only seen a couple and very scarce bait.
  • SlamaholicSlamaholic Posts: 389 Officer
    Nice work I just got my first snook on the fly as well. the vid is on instagram @reellocal CONGRATS!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Quality Performance Apparel, Realistic Prices.
    www.ReloGear.Com
  • Net 30Net 30 Posts: 998 Officer
    Nice snook. Wrap a thin piece of colored tape around your rod at 24" and use it as a measuring point.
  • Beto_MatheusBeto_Matheus Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    Excellent! I've been walking up and down the beach here is south Palm Beach: Boynton and Highland Beach and although I've seen plenty of bait, not much seem to be after them, not even jacks. Maybe I need to head south...!
  • redcock22redcock22 Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    All of them look in the 29-31 inch range. Solid fish on the fly. Nice work.
  • shallow thinkershallow thinker Posts: 50 Greenhorn
    Nice. I've only seen 1 snook in 3 trips this summer. It's good to know they are out there