Home Off Topic

If you're not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about..right??

tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral
So I ran into a friend at the pub over the weekend, good guy, ex-Canadian Special Forces (I know), and he runs a computer consulting and backup business out of his house. Yes he has all the necessary permits and whatnot.

Well, of course his garage is full of computer equipment, and that heats the house something fierce, so this time of year his AC runs pretty much non-stop. All of this, of course, leads to an astronomical power bill.

Combine that power bill with some nosy busybody neighbors and about a month ago his wife gets a visit from the cops while he is not home. She laughs off their suspicions and even opens the garage to show them what's going on in there. He gets home, she mentions it in passing, and they think nothing more of it.

Until last week, when they were rudely accosted early in the morning by a drug raid team with a warrant.

(A little) to their credit they didn't do the whole "no knock" bit but they did the whole BANG BANG BANG SHERRIFS OFFICE SEARCH WARRANT routine, absolutely scaring his wife to death.

They come in, politely ransack his house, find NOT A **** THING, hand him a card and eventually leave, after about three hours.

Can these effing idiots be held accountable for their actions? Or are they above the law? (my guess is the latter)

I told him he should look into a lawsuit, if nothing else to be a symbolic rebuke of their absolutely incompetent gung-ho idiocy.

Yet another reason...
«13456

Replies

  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    I would schedule a sit down with the chief of whatever bumpkin agency did that and see what he said. I would also give the story to the local news. Where was the probable cause?? Unreal.
  • Tarpon65Tarpon65 Posts: 6,632 Admiral
    Did the cops shoot his service dog? :dog
    Always Do Sober What You Said You'd Do Drunk. That Will Teach You To Keep Your Mouth Shut. - Ernest Hemingway
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 11,619 AG
    LAWYER.........................NOW
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • Machine HeadMachine Head Posts: 2,634 Officer
    She shouldn't of let them in the first time around without a warrant.
    Lawsuit will be a waste of time and money.
    Abuse of power the system is broken.
    "There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Kenneth Grahame
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    Were they charged with anything? If not, what is the problem?
  • GROUPER SCOOPERGROUPER SCOOPER Posts: 1,871 Captain
    Did they eat it or flush it??
    Everything affects everything.You can't just change one thing.Every thing is connected.
  • Machine HeadMachine Head Posts: 2,634 Officer
    Cyclist wrote: »
    Were they charged with anything? If not, what is the problem?

    Liberal quote of the day
    "There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Kenneth Grahame
  • GROUPER SCOOPERGROUPER SCOOPER Posts: 1,871 Captain
    Cyclist wrote: »
    Were they charged with anything? If not, what is the problem?


    For realzzz???
    Everything affects everything.You can't just change one thing.Every thing is connected.
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    I sure it was no fun, but lawsuit? For what? They came on a tip, they checked it out and left.

    What was the harm or monetary hardship or .......?
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,335 Moderator
    Someone got some splainin' to do.
    I would not be happy. They were there once and looked "free of charge" . No reason to come back , no reason to get all swatty over what they must have perceived as a grow house !

    IDK , Canadians ARE pretty crafty. Maybe that's why..
    "You'll get your weather"
  • tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral
    Just when I think you can't be more of an idiot statist, you set the bar again.

    READ MY FREAKING POST. THEY HAD ALREADY BEEN THERE TO CHECK ON THEIR "TIP" FOUND NOTHING, AND STILL WENT BACK AND GOT A WARRANT.

    Holy crap you are amazingly compliant and stupid.
  • EricEric Posts: 210 Officer
    Demand to know the probable cause for the warrant. That is what u want to know. Higher than normal power bill is not PC. Someone somewhere along the line f uped. Find out the judge that ok that weak PC warrant. Then find the cop/ detective that applied for it and on what basis. Start an IA over that with his department. I am an ex cop and detective. If he is clean as you say, there is no reason for it.
  • tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral
    That was aimed at Cyclist by the way, as if you couldn't tell.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,982 Admiral
    Eric wrote: »
    Demand to know the probable cause for the warrant. That is what u want to know. Higher than normal power bill is not PC. Someone somewhere along the line f uped. Find out the judge that ok that weak PC warrant. Then find the cop/ detective that applied for it and on what basis. Start an IA over that with his department. I am an ex cop and detective. If he is clean as you say, there is no reason for it.

    Waste of time all you will get out of that is a loss of your time and probably money, they can pretty much do what they want, you really have no recourse. Just be thankful they didn’t destroy the house.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

    Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 21,685 AG
    Probably should have did a no knock entry. :grin
  • Bottom LinesBottom Lines Posts: 1,105 Officer
    Cyclist wrote: »
    I sure it was no fun, but lawsuit? For what? They came on a tip, they checked it out and left.

    What was the harm or monetary hardship or .......?

    Sometimes I think you just post to garner a reaction from everyone else on this site (troll), and sometimes I think you might really believe some of the stuff that you post...

    For you, your family, and anyone else associated with you's sake, I sincerely hope it is the former... :huh
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,335 Moderator
    tankard wrote: »
    That was aimed at Cyclist by the way, as if you couldn't tell.

    I have a feeling he knows that.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    tankard wrote: »
    Just when I think you can't be more of an idiot statist, you set the bar again.

    READ MY FREAKING POST. THEY HAD ALREADY BEEN THERE TO CHECK ON THEIR "TIP" FOUND NOTHING, AND STILL WENT BACK AND GOT A WARRANT.

    Holy crap you are amazingly compliant and stupid.

    You said she opened the garage, that is not the same as searching the house.
  • HomerSimpsonHomerSimpson Posts: 6,573 Admiral
    Does Gainsville have a Bike Share program????

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2014/06/12/cities-with-bike-share-programs-see-rise-in-cyclist-head-injuries/
    Proportion of head injuries rises in cities with bike share programs
  • TripleXTripleX Posts: 1,774 Moderator
    Would like to read the SW affidavit...
  • FloydFloyd ; in N. Tampa or DownEast MainePosts: 1,109 Officer
    Cyclist wrote: »
    Were they charged with anything? If not, what is the problem?

    I realize that you are a leftist, but perhaps you don't know that many dictatorships started out as leftist movements. Your(and others) sympathy with excess policing is an ominous harbinger of times to come if this trend is unchecked.
    I can't find an actual quote from German history to match yours, but perhaps you can read about the gestapo: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gestapo
    Recording from Moderators annual meeting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuABc9ZNtrA
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    Floyd wrote: »
    I realize that you are a leftist, but perhaps you don't know that many dictatorships started out as leftist movements. Your(and others) sympathy with excess policing is an ominous harbinger of times to come if this trend is unchecked.
    I can't find an actual quote from German history to match yours, but perhaps you can read about the gestapo: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gestapo


    So the GPD is being compared to the gestapo. Oh fer christs sake.
  • tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral
    Actually it was ASO, and yes, I compare many of their recent actions to the gestapo. Have you seen the frequent "drug checkpoint roadblocks"?

    Does that in any way resemble a free country?

    From your attitude on this, it's obvious you are just fine with it, but free-thinking people are horrified. I don't want to live in a country like that, and neither do a great many of us. And I'm afraid that when a breaking point is reached there will be bloodshed on both sides.

    TripleX, would the warrant affidavit be public record?
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    tankard wrote: »
    Actually it was ASO, and yes, I compare many of their recent actions to the gestapo. Have you seen the frequent "drug checkpoint roadblocks"?

    Does that in any way resemble a free country?

    From your attitude on this, it's obvious you are just fine with it, but free-thinking people are horrified. I don't want to live in a country like that, and neither do a great many of us. And I'm afraid that when a breaking point is reached there will be bloodshed on both sides.

    TripleX, would the warrant affidavit be public record?


    Sounds like they had some reason to check the home (power use, nosy neighbor) and that they were not satisfied with the encounter with the wife. Sounds like they made some mistakes but other than inconvenience to the family, there is really nothing more to it.
  • TripleXTripleX Posts: 1,774 Moderator
    tankard wrote: »
    TripleX, would the warrant affidavit be public record?

    Depends on if it was sealed or not
  • Bottom LinesBottom Lines Posts: 1,105 Officer
    TripleX wrote: »
    Depends on if it was sealed or not

    I bet you it is sealed now... :rotflmao
  • tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral
    Cyclist wrote: »
    Sounds like they had some reason to check the home (power use, nosy neighbor) and that they were not satisfied with the encounter with the wife. Sounds like they made some mistakes but other than inconvenience to the family, there is really nothing more to it.



    You make me sick. If you really believe what you are typing, you deserve to have your house raided and your dog shot. Actually I'll spare the dog, you need to be shot.

    Would you be cool with that?
  • WhyWorkWhyWork Posts: 266 Deckhand
    TANKARD NEEDS A TIME OUT. NA NA NA A BOO BOO
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Cyclist wrote: »
    Sounds like they had some reason to check the home (power use, nosy neighbor) and that they were not satisfied with the encounter with the wife. Sounds like they made some mistakes but other than inconvenience to the family, there is really nothing more to it.

    You really believe that ??? I would be livid... I can't believe such a flaming lib-**** would support this BS... Wow... Just Wow...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
Sign In or Register to comment.