Home Off Topic

AC question..... My turn

Capt.EdCapt.Ed Posts: 368 Deckhand
OK guys I have a good one for you.
I have a Rheem 5 ton unit (2005) last year while using the AC (not the heat) it decided that it would jump into the heat defrost thing??? of corse this pumps a little hot air into the house and Then it trips the reset button on the outside unit.
If I wait about 15 minutes and push the reset button, it comes back on in cool mode and runs fine until it decides to do it again.
It does this randomly sometimes once or twice a week and sometimes 3 or 4 times a day??? There is absolutly no time pattern to this happening.
I have had 3 different AC companies out and none can find the cause.
The first company charged the freon and cleaned all the electric connections but the problem continued. The other two AC companies just stand there scraching their heads and wanting to install a new unit.
Of corse all three want to install a new unit. But other than the unit having it's little fit, the unit runs fine.??????
Any ideas?:huh:huh:huh
It will be a sad day when the last little mom and pop marina is gone to developers and only the rich will be able to enjoy the waters of Florida.

Replies

• gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 21,685 AG
    Most likely our AC pros won't be in till Monday.
  • Capt.EdCapt.Ed Posts: 368 Deckhand
    Yeah I know and I'm in no hurry.
    I have no problem paying anyone to FIX the problem or even paying to install a new unit.. But it will drive me crazy if I can NOT find the cause of the problem... My OCD kicks in and I will go nuts :-)
    It will be a sad day when the last little mom and pop marina is gone to developers and only the rich will be able to enjoy the waters of Florida.
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,500 AG
    Not saying this is the answer as it probably isn't, but when I get squirrely electric problems like this the first thing I do is check the grounds.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • out-castout-cast Posts: 90 Deckhand
    Sounds like a bad defrost board or possibly the temp probe from the board. Some of us A/C guys work 24/7 :wink
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,374 Admiral
    Hey Ed, the last thing you need is a new unit. I would report those companies to the BBB. Every thing in the system is old school except the circuit board. I'm sure that is the problem. Although I have been in the biz 42 years , never seen this happen in the cool mode, but doesn't surprise me. Circuit boards and sensors can do some odd things. As long as you don't have any shorts in t stat wires it is the circuit board. Call a service company not a sales company.
    Your welcome. :)
  • optimistic Angleroptimistic Angler Posts: 626 Officer
    It could be the reversing valve is being energized when it'd not supposed to.
    But I think it is more likely the condenser fan motor or it's capacitor it going.
  • Capt.EdCapt.Ed Posts: 368 Deckhand
    OK guys I know it has been a while sinse I posted this.
    Right after I made this post the AC unit decided to act normal for 3 weeks (it's longest stint in over a year)
    Anyhow I didn't want to post or say anything in fear of jinxing myself....
    Then last tuesday night it started it's crap again... going into defrost mode and tripping the reset button.
    Wednesday it decided to blow both cold air and hot air at the same time, you could feel the cold air on one side of the vent and hot air on the other.
    I called a buddy of mine that owns an AC shop, he found me a circuit board in his shop and came over and replaced mine.
    AC MAN you were 100 percent correct sir.... thank you :USA
    My AC is now normal again and I will not have to smash it with my backhoe :mad
  • jad1097jad1097 Posts: 9,611 Admiral
    but we were looking forward to the video of you smashing it with the backhoe

having a/c issues in the summer sucks!