Home Off Topic

Auto A/C Questions...

2»

Replies

• SJCSJC Posts: 2,572 Captain
    If it is an evaporator leak you will be able to smell the freon in the water that leaks from the drains. If it's a hose/compressor/condenser leak the will be a green oily substance around the leak. If the the evaporator leak is real bad the water that drains will be green also.
    The Beatings will continue until moral improves!
  • acarbacarb Posts: 2,357 Captain
    06 Kia needs to be diagnosed with a scanner 1st as it has self diagnostic capability.
    Evap sensors are common as are relay failures. This isnt one to try to repair at the house as it can cause you to **** money and effort away. I would say it is electrical if it happened that fast unless something was punctured as mentioned. AAMCO is the last place on the planet to take anything for anything.
    Go to www.jasperengines.com and click on their installer link and check through them. MOST of their preffered installers are good folk but note that I said MOST. Good Luck!
  • haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,406 Captain
    SJC wrote: »
    So is it out if freon or is the compressor not coming on. 2 separate issues. No freon = leak. If it is low on freon find someone to charge it properly with dye. $230 is a crap load. My shop is at $70 and that is for 1lb of freon. More freon is $10 per lb. if and when you get it diagnosed if you don't trust the shop call around and get estimates for repair.

AAMCO said it was low on Freon. F-I-L said it wouldn't take a charge. Shade tree mech. (retired cert. mech) said the compressor was not seized up but may not be getting power. "My shop" as in you own a shop, or the shop where you go for repairs? If it's your shop, where in Polk are you? I'd drive 30 minutes for someone trustworthy.
    acarb wrote: »
    06 Kia needs to be diagnosed with a scanner 1st as it has self diagnostic capability.
    Evap sensors are common as are relay failures. This isnt one to try to repair at the house as it can cause you to **** money and effort away. I would say it is electrical if it happened that fast unless something was punctured as mentioned. AAMCO is the last place on the planet to take anything for anything.
    Go to www.jasperengines.com and click on their installer link and check through them. MOST of their preffered installers are good folk but note that I said MOST. Good Luck!

This is what I'm talking about. I would have thought AAMCO would have done this. Or maybe they did and have just set up a "grand finale" to gouge us. In any event, based on your post, is there nothing I can rule out at home? For instance, we've been told the car needs adequate Freon for the compressor to kick on. If this is the case and it needs charged, can I do this to see if the compressor kicks on. If not it's a wash anyway because we have a limit on what we will spend to fix it. I'd like to rule out expensive stuff rather than pay 100-300 bux to be told it will be $1000 or more to fix the problem. TIA

BTW, it's an 05', my mistake.
  • acarbacarb Posts: 2,357 Captain
    This is what I'm talking about. I would have thought AAMCO would have done this. Or maybe they did and have just set up a "grand finale" to gouge us. In any event, based on your post, is there nothing I can rule out at home? For instance, we've been told the car needs adequate Freon for the compressor to kick on. If this is the case and it needs charged, can I do this to see if the compressor kicks on. If not it's a wash anyway because we have a limit on what we will spend to fix it. I'd like to rule out expensive stuff rather than pay 100-300 bux to be told it will be $1000 or more to fix the problem. TIA

BTW, it's an 05', my mistake.
    For what its worth
    Is the ac button lighting up when you turn on the ac?
    You don't have any gauges so the only way so see if you have SOME Freon is to depress the shrader in the low side service port,momentarily, and see if any discharges.
    I would advise you to call a couple of installers and ask how much for an ac diagnostic. I charge 65 to diagnose and drop that fee if I get the repair. Most decent shops will do the same.
  • SJCSJC Posts: 2,572 Captain
    Sorry I just checked back in. Im in Lake wales. Shoot me a PM if you like I'll Check it out.
    The Beatings will continue until moral improves!
  • GermGerm Posts: 1,704 Captain
    Where in Tampa are you
    Germ wrote: »
    Where in Tampa are you

West. Allessi Bakery
  • GermGerm Posts: 1,704 Captain
    carollhood? Im up in welsey chapel. I might be able to give a better look at it, still a bit of a drive and I dont know when we could.
  • jad1097jad1097 Posts: 9,611 Admiral
    You're not far from me. I can come by and fill the a/c up with propane for ya
    jad1097 wrote: »
    You're not far from me. I can come by and fill the a/c up with propane for ya

Sounds about right...

@ Germ, Thanks.