sobering news

frankfrank Posts: 13,292 AG
Alcohol-related deaths comprise about 10 percent of the total deaths in the United States per year among working-age people. Those who die prematurely are overwhelmingly—71 percent—male, and over half die as the direct result of binge drinking. Though still lagging behind tobacco use, poor nutrition, and sedentary lifestyle on the list of preventable causes of death in our country, excessive drinking leads to the cumulative loss of millions of years of potential human life.

Those are the results of a new study released today by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). The authors collected data related to 54 different causes of death that could be attributed to alcohol, both chronic and acute. For some of these conditions, like motor vehicle collisions due to intoxication, or cirrhosis of the liver, mortality could be attributed entirely to the effect of alcohol. For other conditions, such as high blood pressure or breast cancer, the deaths related to alcohol were calculated using risk estimates for developing the different diseases based on varying levels of intake.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/06/26/excessive-drinking-kills-1-in-10-americans.html

dayumn
No political signature

Replies

• aboveboredabovebored Posts: 1,255 Officer
    Didn't see MJ on the list.
  • nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,530 Admin
    Doctors recommend 2 drinks a day for cardiovascular health, but the CDC calls 15 drinks a week "chronic consumption".
    Seriously.
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!
  • gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 20,101 AG
    nuevowavo wrote: »
    Doctors recommend 2 drinks a day for cardiovascular health, but the CDC calls 15 drinks a week "chronic consumption".
    Seriously.
    everybody's wrong.
    :BUNNY gestapo

• tagtag Posts: 8,815 Admiral
    nuevowavo wrote: »
    Seriously.

I'd get a new doctor
  • jad1097jad1097 Posts: 9,610 Admiral
    Criminalize alcohol and legalize marijuana!
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 19,738 AG
    frank wrote: »
    excessive drinking leads to the cumulative loss of millions of years of potential human life.

No real loss since the potential life is highly devalued by them being stupid **** hats who binge drink.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
    jad1097 wrote: »

Now you're talkin'!

I want to watch NASCAR after they all have to smoke a fatty...The Daytona 500 will take 3 days to complete and the in car camera will have the driver asking the spotter " Dude, am I speeding?" and ... "Is that car in front of me with the lights on.... a cop? " ... :rotflmao
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • GROUPER SCOOPERGROUPER SCOOPER Posts: 1,871 Captain
    Do NASCAR drivers drink before the race???
    Everything affects everything.You can't just change one thing.Every thing is connected.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,143 AG
    jad1097 wrote: »

Then we would have even more obese people. :grin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • frankfrank Posts: 13,292 AG
    magot wrote: »
    I wish Rusty would have another Pasture Bash.

mayhaps he has, but i won't be brining the bourbon to any more (nor the merlot rusty)
    No political signature
    Do NASCAR drivers drink before the race???

I don't think so...but Bill France is looking for ways to make NASCAR more interesting...They added a woman driver....maybe having them all loaded will cause more wrecks...Attendance will skyrocket. :rotflmao
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Flash wrote: »

Why do people always think that? Very few pot heads I have known were obese.

Marijuana Slims? Why Pot Smokers Are Less Obese
    By Maia Szalavitz @maiaszSept. 08, 20110

If cannabis causes the munchies, how is it possible that pot smokers are thinner than nonsmokers?

A new study published in the American Journal of Epidemiology finds an intriguing connection between marijuana use and body weight, showing that rates of obesity are lower by roughly a third in people who smoke pot at least three times a week, compared with those who don’t use marijuana at all.

Researchers analyzed data from two large national surveys of the American population, which together included some 52,000 participants. In the first survey, they found that 22% of those who did not smoke marijuana were obese, compared with just 14% of the regular marijuana smokers. The second survey found that 25% of nonsmokers were obese, compared with 17% of regular cannabis users.

The association between pot smoking and lower risk of obesity remained strong even after adjusting for other factors that could influence body fat and health, such as cigarette smoking, age and gender. But the correlation between weed and weight doesn’t mean that marijuana smoking actually causes weight loss.

Many other factors could account for the connection. For example, some research finds that highly religious people are less likely to take drugs, but more likely to be obese — perhaps because they’re substituting one compulsive behavior (overeating) for the other (smoking marijuana). So, some of the obese people in the national surveys may be religious folk, who might otherwise be heavy marijuana smokers, but are eating too much instead. That could make it look like marijuana is slimming.

Also consider that one of the most popular uses of medical marijuana is to stimulate appetite in people with cancer, AIDS or other diseases. Such patients are significantly less likely to be obese than the general population — so in this case, weight loss would precede or prompt the marijuana smoking.

Whatever the explanation for the link between marijuana and less obesity, it’s unlikely that cannabis could serve as an effective diet aid. For one, smoking pot has been shown to increase appetite in multiple studies, at least in the short-term, so it likely wouldn’t help dieters resist temptation.

Secondly, a drug that has the opposite effect of THC, marijuana’s main psychoactive ingredient, has itself been shown to aid dieting. Called rimonabant, at high doses the drug nearly tripled the weight loss achieved by people taking placebo. It also frequently caused severe depression and suicidal thoughts, however, so while it was briefly approved by European authorities, it was ultimately pulled from the market.

MORE: Reverse Engineering the Marijuana ‘Munchies’: What Causes Binge Eating?

Of course, none of this explains why marijuana smokers in the national survey samples didn’t get fatter by taking a drug that can clearly stimulate appetite. One factor may be tolerance: many of marijuana’s effects are reduced in frequent users, as the body adjusts to it.

Another may be substitution — the smokers could be seeking comfort by smoking more marijuana, rather than eating more. Or, perhaps other ingredients in cannabis like cannabidiol (CBD) could reduce the appetite-increasing effects of THC in the same way that they reduce its paranoia-inducing properties.

Whatever the case, marijuana research never lacks for surprises!

http://healthland.time.com/2011/09/08/marijuana-slims-pot-smoking-linked-to-lower-body-weight/
  • GROUPER SCOOPERGROUPER SCOOPER Posts: 1,871 Captain
    NOTHING can be done to make driving in circles.....more interesting.
    Everything affects everything.You can't just change one thing.Every thing is connected.
  • Baits OutBaits Out Posts: 12,325 AG
    I have an old wall sign next to my desk here:

. . . There are more OLD DRUNKARDS
    Than OLD DOCTORS

Poor Richard's Almanac by Benjamin Franklin

Since I drank back then, I asked my doctor how much was too much? He said it depends on the individual. Some old street corner drunks can drink a fifth a day and survive. For others, 1/20 that amount is too much.

For addicts of course anything above zero is too much.

A southeast Florida laid back beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor who lives on island time. 
    Baits Out wrote: »
    I have an old wall sign next to my desk here:

. . . There are more OLD DRUNKARDS
    Than OLD DOCTORS

Poor Richard's Almanac by Benjamin Franklin

Since I drank back then, I asked my doctor how much was too much? He said it depends on the individual. Some old street corner drunks can drink a fifth a day and survive. For others, 1/20 that amount is too much.

For addicts of course anything above zero is too much.

so I shouldn't drink beer? You is crazy man!
  • Baits OutBaits Out Posts: 12,325 AG
    Your cards.

Play them as you like.

A southeast Florida laid back beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor who lives on island time. 
  • gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    I quit alcohol like 4 years ago.

I can do that where I live and not have to be drunk to interface with drunk people.

... and not go insane. ;)
    Baits Out wrote: »
    Your cards.

Play them as you like.

I do :wink
  • old thompsonold thompson Posts: 6,497 Officer
    greggl wrote: »
    I quit alcohol like 4 years ago.

I can do that where I live and not have to be drunk to interface with drunk people.

... and not go insane. ;)

You probably don't go insane being "that sober guy" in a roomful of drunks only 'cause you are stoned off your ****! :banghead
    He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance.

No representation without taxation!
  • razorreilly09razorreilly09 Posts: 8,401 Officer
    Flash wrote: »

And less prisoners
    Eer maybe more....
  • NickhoogNickhoog Posts: 780 Officer
    We all have to die of something.....

Guess I'll go with a drink in my hand!!!!!! :beer
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,439 AG
    At some point in my life I figured out I needed a good buzz before going to a bar. Being sober around a bunch of loud drunks ain't no fun and trying to catch up with them was nearly impossible. Kinda funny nowadays, its been a long time since I've been in a bar. I think I've been once in about 5 years, a duckhunting buddy coerced me while we in a backwoods place that time has forgotten.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 7,955 Admiral
    Alcohol ... tobacco ... religion

lap it up geniuses ...
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • NickhoogNickhoog Posts: 780 Officer
    "So there I was, sitting at an "outside" bar having some drinks and cigars while talking politics with Jesus and then "SHE" walked over".....
  • SLW210SLW210 Posts: 2,226 Captain
    What percentage of people don't die?
  • gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 20,101 AG
    SLW210 wrote: »
    What percentage of people don't die?

:BUNNY gestapo

[video=youtube_share;3R7l7nDuj1o]
    [video=youtube_share;EvGJvzwKqg0]
    [video=youtube_share;ISmgOrhELXs]