Home Off Topic

Book suggestions?

Baits OutBaits Out Posts: 12,331 AG
Now that the college baseball world series is over, summer TV viewing sinks to the usual low of an even vaster wasteland of almost constant commercials.

Tis amazing what 80+ channels don’t provide!

Have absolutely no interest in professional sports so am looking to stock up on lite summer reading options.

First step is to go out to the local branch library later today to see if there are any new titles by Randy Wayne White or Carl Hiaasen I haven't read.

Other favorite authors (I read everything) were John D MacDonald’s Travis McGee series (lived on a boat docked at Bahia Mar) and Lawrence Sander’s Archy McNally series (a Palm Beach sometimes-investigator who worked for his attorney father). Decades early while in high school I read all of Philip Wylie’s Crunch and Des charter boat captain adventure series.

Anyway, wondering if anyone here knows of other writers in this general genre?

A southeast Florida laid back beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor who lives on island time. 

Replies

• rock_fishrock_fish Posts: 11,866 AG
    Ever read "The Plugger"?

not really fiction, but a good read about fishing the NW Gulf

http://www.amazon.com/Plugger-Wade-Fishing-Gulf-Coast/dp/0896725103
  • Baits OutBaits Out Posts: 12,331 AG
    rock_fish wrote: »
    Ever read "The Plugger"?

not really fiction, but a good read about fishing the NW Gulf

http://www.amazon.com/Plugger-Wade-Fishing-Gulf-Coast/dp/0896725103

Sounds interesting and much like the old guy who had many TV shows on the Sportsman Channel. Forget his name but he never kept any fish he caught.

Shall add to the list. Thanks!

A southeast Florida laid back beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor who lives on island time. 
  • PP1PP1 Posts: 332 Deckhand
    I always suggest "A Land Remembered" by Patrick Smith.

Fantastic story about old Florida.
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
  • Baits OutBaits Out Posts: 12,331 AG
    PP1 wrote: »
    I always suggest "A Land Remembered" by Patrick Smith.

Fantastic story about old Florida.

Thanks!

Looking forward to this one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Land_Remembered

I remember being a freshman at The U of F and having to read a book (forget which one?) by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings. The "professor" was a grad student who pointed out what a whitewashed view she painted, as an example by calling blacks "darkies". "Anyone who lived in this area at the time called them n...ers". That was quite a shock to me having been in high school some months earlier.

WOW! College really was unexpurgated!

• MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,446 AG
    Tim Dorsey?
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • ParkerboyParkerboy Posts: 7,048 Admiral
    Baits Out wrote: »
    Now that the college baseball world series is over, summer TV viewing sinks to the usual low of an even vaster wasteland of almost constant commercials.

Tis amazing what 80+ channels don’t provide!

Have absolutely no interest in professional sports so am looking to stock up on lite summer reading options.

First step is to go out to the local branch library later today to see if there are any new titles by Randy Wayne White or Carl Hiaasen I haven't read.

Other favorite authors (I read everything) were John D MacDonald’s Travis McGee series (lived on a boat docked at Bahia Mar) and Lawrence Sander’s Archy McNally series (a Palm Beach sometimes-investigator who worked for his attorney father). Decades early while in high school I read all of Philip Wylie’s Crunch and Des charter boat captain adventure series.

Anyway, wondering if anyone here knows of other writers in this general genre?

I read all of the Travis McGee books years ago and was pleased when they recently became availble on Kindle so I ordered some. I was surprised at how dated they seem, kinda like "you can go home again". I was very dosappointed as I loved those books in my teen years. Presently I enjoy the Lee Child books (Reacher), and I liked Vince Flynn's series featuring "Mitch Rapp". Too bad Vince passed away. I also enjoy David Baldacci, Stuart Woods, Brad Thor, and Harlan Coben to name a few. I read probably 2 books per week.
    Deo Vindice
  • Lead slingerLead slinger Posts: 449 Officer
    Shadow Country? Just wrapped up reading it a few weeks ago...not exactly "lite" though.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,082 AG
    Baits Out wrote: »
    The "professor" was a grad student who pointed out what a whitewashed view she painted, as an example by calling blacks "darkies". "Anyone who lived in this area at the time called them n...ers".

"Darkies" was a common term.. If you look at the original lyrics to " My old Kentucky home ".... It says "where the Darkies are gay"
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,082 AG
    I read old Florida sportsman magazines......
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you