Home Off Topic

It's a Jungle out there..........pet eaten!

FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,928 Captain
Just minutes from Downtown,a St Johns River tributary meanders alongside my backyard,which is also dominated by my very own private pond.My yard is designated as an official National Wildlife Federation "Backyard Habitat" with all sorts of intended,created wildlife features. I have made efforts to close drainage ditches,diverting spring and rain water to intermittent wet meadows,puddles and flow way to the pond.It's an idyllic setting;

All sorts of furry,feathered,shelled,slithery and fishy critters abound.

Early last year a Gar appeared in the pond. Reminded me of my childhood days in the Glades,all the Gars. Even the one eaten during a Glades ramble & camping trip.
But this new Pond Denizen would not see the dinner table,no way. I made concerted effort to keep from hooking the gar when targeting Bluegills.Free Pass.
The gar grew rapidly in size and I figured it would perish during the North Florida winter,but it emerged intact-and ever larger this spring and summer.

A couple of days ago I noticed from a distance what appeared to be an Otter in the pond- not unusual,other than the quick glimpse revealed what must have been a big Otter tail.
A while later,Ever So One With Nature, I made ye' routine stroll through Eden to the creek..........and spotted what looked like a bent branch near the creek shore....there where flies swirling.........Yikes! Gator!......clamped down on Gar head

Even though I know This Is How It Works,Should Be,I'm tellin' ya now I miss my pet Gar.

Onward-
Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink

Replies

• duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,055 AG
    Just like a goldfish...replace as needed.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • BallaCoiPersiciBallaCoiPersici NW Italy (Laveno Mombello)Posts: 6,013 Admiral
    It was his pet gar, not so easy replaceable I think.
    And my suggestion is to not replace it in order to avoid any future really-not-funny :hairraiser wildlife visit.
    Massimo (former Ballak) - Please, be patient for my English
    ********************************************************************************************************************************
    I'm typing keeping close my "pasta hole"!
    Political correctness is a mental disease that can put you in slavery. The only cure is to turn on the brain.
    I'm not afraid of Coravirus but I'm scared by the paranoid pandemic army who ask for the sanitary naz**m.
    Vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
    people replace pet goldfish all the time...it wasn't a talking gar was it...that would be much different.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Goldfishes are baits* :grin, its different !

* great for pikes

P.S. Are you work during night or are you living in Europe ?
    ********************************************************************************************************************************
    Political correctness is a mental disease that can put you in slavery. The only cure is to turn on the brain.
    I'm not afraid of Coravirus but I'm scared by the paranoid pandemic army who ask for the sanitary naz**m.
    Just woke up ( 4 AM)...getting some breakfast and out the door to fish...I love the pre dawn bite.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    No envy for you :liar
  • Tarpon65Tarpon65 Posts: 6,646 Admiral
    FloridaOD, I'm very jealous of your backyard. That is beautiful area.
    Always Do Sober What You Said You'd Do Drunk. That Will Teach You To Keep Your Mouth Shut. - Ernest Hemingway
  • lookinlookin Posts: 1,386 Officer
    Nice spot ya got there, OD. Cool pics...that was nice sized gar and that gator looks about 9-10'...might want to keep an eye on that joker. lol
    God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,928 Captain
    Thank you for the condolence!

Yea.......in fact I was a bit late for the morning stroll.......could have walked right in to Gator Land.

Gators will appear on the bank of the creek from time to time-this was first (known) excursion well past beyond high water line........

Did the Gator target the Gar? Smelled it?

Look at the photo- Gar tail turned,head chomped.......will never forget the flies. :cry

I am reminded that at least it was not a Unicorn.
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,446 AG
    I am very sorry about what happened to your pet gar.

I'm sure that where he is now, there are streams and creeks
    for him to swim and frolic in with his friends, and there is plenty of
    shiners, chubs and alewife for him to devour. The best thing to
    comfort one after the loss of a pet gar is to go right out and get
    another one. And they are so cute when they're little.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • restlessnativerestlessnative Posts: 2,383 Captain
    Get a service gar to help you with your PTSD of losing the first one. You can then take it to any pond or creek you want.
    Perfect.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
    FloridaOD wrote: »
    Did the Gator target the Gar? Smelled it?
    Are gars in their habitually diet ?

If yes probably the gator has tracked your gar from far.
    I don't know gators (we haven't here, at least not the 4 legs ones :grin) but as predators they are "programmed" to find food (like the fishes that find minnows in the vastity of the deep Ocean).
    I like the way you talk.
  • PolarPolar Lake WorthPosts: 22,464 AG
    I had a pet Gar once, named Garth. he like bacon and didnt like when I had to take his temperature
  • mitchellmastermitchellmaster Posts: 363 Officer
    Eat the gator..
  • tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral
    One question...

Why in the hell would you think a gar would "perish in the north Florida winter"???

They're native a lot further north than here. Doofus.
  • GROUPER SCOOPERGROUPER SCOOPER Posts: 1,871 Captain
    Beautiful view you have FOD.

Most gators i have seen have only chomped a gar and said forget it.Did he eat that nasty thing?Sorry to be rude about your pet.:wink
    Everything affects everything.You can't just change one thing.Every thing is connected.
    FloridaOD wrote: »

I am reminded that at least it was not a Unicorn.

Yeah, I lost a pet unicorn many years ago...Have never fully recovered.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    tankard wrote: »
    One question...

Why in the hell would you think a gar would "perish in the north Florida winter"???

They're native a lot further north than here. Doofus.

It's a shallow pond. Cold snaps always bring the Blue Herons,plucking stunned or dead goodies
  • PolarPolar Lake WorthPosts: 22,464 AG
    dont argue with tanktard
    Beautiful view you have FOD.

Most gators i have seen have only chomped a gar and said forget it.Did he eat that nasty thing?Sorry to be rude about your pet.:wink

No worries,thanks to all the kind words I am feeling much better,thank you :thumbsup

I do not know if Pet was consumed-I got a first hand demo of Gator speed on land-Gator ran....sprang......flew.... in to the water,Gar in mouth. The leep to water happened too fast for camera
  • tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral
    Polar wrote: »
    dont argue with tanktard

You learned your lesson well.

Now if others would do the same...
  • GROUPER SCOOPERGROUPER SCOOPER Posts: 1,871 Captain
    Lol

I never seen a gator fully consume a gar....only chomp it up an say forget it.

Have heard if they are cooked with milk they are fairly tasty but have never givin it a go.
    Everything affects everything.You can't just change one thing.Every thing is connected.
  • lookinlookin Posts: 1,386 Officer
    I almost feel bad about the last gar I shot with my bow and didn't eat. I'm also somewhat conflicted about the chain pickerals I catch occasionally and use as fertilizer....trees love 'em though.
    God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,132 Captain
    FL OD, if you're in Lake County, I can take care of your gator problem for you in a couple months.......
  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,487 AG
    The gar will be waiting to jump into your arms on the other side of the rainbow bridge.
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 10,037 AG
    the-alligator-people-1959.jpg
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
    Gar gone but thanks be you all are wonderful!
    Get a service gar to help you with your PTSD of losing the first one. You can then take it to any pond or creek you want.

Thank you,will do!

Friends Of Gars,LLC