Home Off Topic

High Noon Kick Off

Replies

• DemereDemere Posts: 1,464 Officer
    We watched the 1st half at a sports bar. I haven't a clue what the rules are but enjoyed the game none the less. The best part for me was the enthusiasm of the very large crowd! It's been quite a while since I've heard several hundred people chanting "USA USA USA" Did my heart good. Anything that encourages patriotism is a good thing.
  • rock_fishrock_fish Posts: 11,863 AG
    They are definitely good at exercising

There's a Kenny powers quote in there
  • PopeyePopeye Posts: 14,296 AG
    I like all the animal noise from the stupid crowd
  • westywesty Posts: 130 Officer
    Its the only sport that when you lose you move on.
    not only that, you can bite people on the field, then riot when your stupid teams lose.
  • MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
    westy wrote: »

Google Round Robin. In fact Google any sport that is league based.
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
  • Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 3,191 Captain
    tankard wrote: »
    Every four years certain Americans pretend to like soccer. I am not one of them. It. Really. Sucks.

And every four years the same posters come into the soccer threads and act like dlcks..
  • Tarpon65Tarpon65 Posts: 6,646 Admiral
    Listened to the game on the ESPN Sirius channel while driving back from Jacksonville. Glad we are advancing.
    Always Do Sober What You Said You'd Do Drunk. That Will Teach You To Keep Your Mouth Shut. - Ernest Hemingway
    And every four years the same posters come into the soccer threads and act like dlcks..

So you say that every four years, **** show up here?:huh
  • Larry MacLarry Mac Posts: 5,466 Admiral
    westy wrote: »

Not true -- lots of times in the NFL, a team loses it's last game, but because another team lost in their division, they end up going to the playoffs.
    So here you have four teams in your group, you play 3 matches, you get 3 pts for a win , 1 pt for a tie, 0 pts for a loss. If teams are tied in .points after the 3 matches, then the best goal differential is a tiebreaker as in our case today. So we didn't have to win to go through today. Top 2 teams in each of the 8 groups move into the knockout round of 16.
    In this next round, there are no more ties. Overtime is played until there is a winner-- after 30 minutes of OT, if there is still no winner, then penalty kicks decide. The 16 teams play until the 2 winners are left. Will take another 2 weeks or so.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,036 AG
    Larry Mac wrote: »
    Will take another 2 weeks or so.

That's like a two week tooth ache...
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
    duckmanJR wrote: »

Since you now know that this thread is about soccer why keep coming back in and self inflicting a toothache?
  • Tarpon65Tarpon65 Posts: 6,646 Admiral
    Menzies wrote: »
    Since you now know that this thread is about soccer why keep coming back in and self inflicting a toothache?

For the same reason he goes to his doctor on a weekly basis for a prostate exam!
    Always Do Sober What You Said You'd Do Drunk. That Will Teach You To Keep Your Mouth Shut. - Ernest Hemingway
    From the BBC.

World Cup: Does US really have the most fans in Brazil?

The country where the most World Cup match tickets were bought, outside Brazil, was the US. Why, asks Tom Geoghegan.

Nearly 200,000 match tickets were bought in the US, which comes as some surprise given that "soccer" is still way behind US sports in popularity. The next biggest market was Argentina, a long way behind, followed by Germany, England and Colombia, according to Fifa.

The number of US fans travelling overseas isn't surprising to Christopher Harris, editor and publisher of WorldSoccerTalk.com. "US Soccer has done a fantastic job marketing to the audience, who have disposable income, love sports and don't mind spending thousands of dollars to support their country."

Soccer is a perfect embodiment of American patriotism, he says, with very few US sports having a national sports team that can compete with the best in the world.

A major reason for the recent increase in travelling fans is the growing popularity of the American Outlaws supporters group, says Harris, which has 135 chapters nationwide and flew three charter planes to Brazil. There, they have outnumbered most other fans, inside and outside the stadiums. Not long ago, it was hard to find the USA football shirt in shops, now they're ubiquitous in Brazil. One long-time USA fan, Jason Burak, told Slate the transformation has made him well up.

The US fans are here, they are visible and so loud that they draw puzzled looks from locals and other tourists alike.

On non-game days, you will hear the American accents in restaurants up and down Copacabana and Ipanema beaches, but when the US team plays, the streets are filled with stars-and-stripe Speedos, red and blue Mohicans and continuous chants of "U S A! U S A!"

In the viewing areas, when Spain or Netherlands play, the atmosphere is joyous and relaxed, but when Klinsmann's team kicks off, thousands of US fans fill the beach-side viewing party and it's more like a sold-out rock concert.

Hailing from all over the US, some boast "soccer" knowledge rivalling the post-game analysts, others are just here "to have fun". Rio has noticed, the Americans are in town. Argentina and Chile fans are also highly visible but the number of US fans could surpass even them.

Whether they are the biggest group is hard to say as so many fans travel without tickets. In Germany in 2006, it was widely believed that England fans formed the largest horde, with police estimating that 70,000 made the trip. There's also the likelihood that many of the tickets bought in the US were by fans of other countries, says ESPN football commentator Allen Hopkins. "We are a melting pot and although fans will identify as Americans, they may go to Brazil to support Mexico or Costa Rica and support the US on a secondary basis."

But there's little doubt that football has become "cool", says Hopkins, and Brazil has a particular allure for Americans, as the "Mecca" of football and a great place to party.

I like watching men cry....
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Tarpon65 wrote: »
    For the same reason he goes to his doctor on a weekly basis for a prostate exam!

Too expensive...although retired...I retired early in life so I'm not ready to get medicare yet..I still have to pay for insurance and deductibles and co pays.

But when everyone else is paying for me to go for visits...I will look into that... :rotflmao
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 3,191 Captain
    I like watching men cry....

:huh

You have got real issues....
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,511 AG
    :grin

Jeezus soccer sucks ****. I actually watched that match today. The US got outplayed BADLY. The ball stayed around their goal posts damned near the entire second half. I counted TWO legitimate shots on Germany's goal all the while I watched, while the US had more lives than a FS long tailed cat.:Spittingcoffee The krauts had a legitimate 10 goal attempts. The US goalie deserves a gold medal for only allowing one. :grin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    navigator2 wrote: »

Jeezus soccer sucks ****. I actually watched that match today. The US got outplayed BADLY. The ball stayed around their goal posts damned near the entire second half. I counted TWO legitimate shots on Germany's goal all the while I watched, while the US had more lives than a FS long tailed cat.:Spittingcoffee The krauts had a legitimate 10 goal attempts. The US goalie deserves a gold medal for only allowing one. :grin

There you go - that feeling in your gut every time the Jerries had an opportunity - that is what it is all about!
  • rock_fishrock_fish Posts: 11,863 AG
    Tarpon65 wrote: »
    Listened to the game on the ESPN Sirius channel while driving back from Jacksonville. Glad we are advancing.

What position do you play?
    There you go - that feeling in your gut every time the Jerries had an opportunity - that is what it is all about!

Like the Battle of Britain.....
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    navigator2 wrote: »

I'm a German-American ( I'm not letting those African Americans get a one up on me) so I am torn on my love of the motherland and my loyalty to my new country( we've only been here a hundred or so years). It was easy to see that like all the other great things that are manufactured in Germany...they are precise.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,982 Admiral
    They pretty much dominated if you ask me every time we had the ball we were swarmed, when they had the ball it was nothing but defense, not enough offense IMO.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,446 AG
    Someone enlighten me...
    Why does USA advance if they lost?
    Where is the anticipation in that?
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
    Someone enlighten me...

Why does an NFL team advance to the playoffs if they lose the last regular season game?

Answer: because of previous results.
  • mikevmikev Posts: 10,822 AG
    Why does an NFL team advance to the playoffs if they lose the last regular season game?

I just don't see why that is so hard to understand?
    "The only people that tell you it can't be done are the people who haven't done it themselves."
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,531 Admiral
    Someone enlighten me...

It was not the knockout or elimination stage of the tournament...that's why they are put in groups to earn points....1 for a tie, 3 for a win....best two teams advance to the knockout rounds, where they will play to a win...i.e. overtimes and shootouts if needed.

At this stage you lose you go home.

I found it interesting that Germany built a 300,000,000 pound (the currency) stadium, just a few hours from where they are playing and did all their training down there for the last, probably year or so. Pretty smart in getting acclimated to the weather...they looked less tired than the USA towards the end of that game.
  • NACl H2O LuvrNACl H2O Luvr Posts: 12,389 AG
    Someone enlighten me...

^^ This. Its important to mention, the first round is basically like a league mini-season with divisions. The determination of who moves on from the first round is a cumulative of the results from three games. (Basically a three game mini-season)

It is possible to lose the last game, but still have a winning record, (ie: won your first two games).

The next round is the equivalent of the playoffs in the NFL....you lose and you are gone.
  • NACl H2O LuvrNACl H2O Luvr Posts: 12,389 AG
    mikev wrote: »
    I just don't see why that is so hard to understand?

You have to explain to people that the first round is basically the equivalent of a mini-season in the NFL. That is where the confusion lies.

The round of 16 is the equivalent of the playoffs.
  • mikevmikev Posts: 10,822 AG
    You have to explain to people that the first round is basically the equivalent of a mini-season in the NFL. That is where the confusion lies.

The round of 16 is the equivalent of the playoffs.

Well then we better not get to discussing why all countries aren't represented in the WC. That would make some heads exploded.
    "The only people that tell you it can't be done are the people who haven't done it themselves."