Home Off Topic

Since when did restaurants not allow you to take home food you paid for?

Replies

• ParkerboyParkerboy Posts: 7,048 Admiral
    if it were all you can eat, then I understand their point. It isnt, you paid for a certain amount of wings at a discounted price. If anything, this is stupid marketing. Why not sell to go orders and allow everyone to buy as much as they want? They still make a profit from wings and you make customers happy and get return business.

JD's used to be in a run down place in Rockledge and the owners went out of their way to be gracious. We used to be regulars for years, but they started getting skimpy and the quality went down. They just recently moved to that place on US 1. You should tell them on Facebook of your displeasure, they will not fix it if they do not hear back.

Simple, the low cost wings are what is known as LOSS LEADERS to attract customers who will buy more expensives beers, drinks, and other foods. They are already losing money on the cost of the wings but would really lose if they allowed someont to order the wings and a coke or glass of water then doggie bag the wings.
    Deo Vindice
  • mitchellmastermitchellmaster Posts: 363 Officer
    [video=youtube_share;LN7Pb7cXjYY]
  • lawaiaalawaiaa Posts: 1,266 Officer
    Parkerboy wrote: »
    Smooth move on his part and all class to stiff the waitress who had nothing to do with the policy. Yes, class albeit LOW but class. How about tipping the sever based on how well he/she did their job rather than on the policy of management.

I was trying not to pass any judgement. There's already enough of that here:wink
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,425 Admiral
    My guess is those 3 wings were going on the next order...I'd stay away from that dump.
  • lawaiaalawaiaa Posts: 1,266 Officer
    johnD wrote: »
    My guess is those 3 wings were going on the next order...I'd stay away from that dump.

:rotflmao
  • Purple HazePurple Haze Posts: 132 Officer
    A no leftovers, no take out policy is common on discount wing nights, but it's silly that they would not let you take 3 wings home after dining-in. Still, it's just 3 wings. Next time, man up and put 'em home (or just order 27)
  • Docked WagesDocked Wages Posts: 2,954 Admin
    Smooth move on his part and all class to stiff the waitress who had nothing to do with the policy. Yes, class albeit LOW but class. How about tipping the sever based on how well he/she did their job rather than on the policy of management.

No one stiffed the waitress, IMHO the 10% tip was in line with the service.

Reprimanded twice by the waitress for asking for a box
    Waitress never delivered the extra hot sauce as requested but certainly did remember to add it to the bill
    Came in for happy hour and left annoyed
    Mark P. Wilson
    Marine Surveyor, SAMS-SA, ABYC
    Wilson Yacht Survey, Inc

• FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,999 Admiral
    Because its a special they discount the price so you will stay and drink. The pubs around here do wings for .25 cents no take outs.
    Its pretty simple.

Do you bring a cooler of beer with you ?

:grin
  • rock_fishrock_fish Posts: 11,898 AG
    I don't think the OP stiffed the server, sounds like she was rude and lacking.

But the person who stiffed the server for following store policy over charging for sauce? Different story
    Proud supporter of the anti fishing, terroristic (lol what?) movement known as Greenpeace.
    Finfinder wrote: »
    Because its a special they discount the price so you will stay and drink. The pubs around here do wings for .25 cents no take outs.
    Its pretty simple.
    it wasnt a takeout. It was leftovers and a doggy bag. They did stay and drink
    Proud supporter of the anti fishing, terroristic (lol what?) movement known as Greenpeace.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,171 AG
    surfman wrote: »
    Of course some people would just order water, there are scammers out there.

So, If your not a booze hound...you're a "scammer"...got it...never knew that.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • TheHookTheHook Posts: 51 Deckhand
    Funny, I had actual been considering trying their wing night. Thanks for the warning. I totally understand no to-go orders. But if you dine in you should be able to take your left overs, it 60 cents per wing and you paid for them.
  • ParkerboyParkerboy Posts: 7,048 Admiral
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    You do understand the premise of offering loss leaders especially during happy hour or days of the week traditionally slow don't you?
    Deo Vindice
  • SouthFloridaAnglerSouthFloridaAngler Posts: 3,164 Captain
    One question for the OP. Did you have a service dog?
    You do understand the premise of offering loss leaders especially during happy hour or days of the week traditionally slow don't you?

I do indeed...but I also KNOW that some people don't drink alcohol no matter what the daily special is regardless of it being a "loss leader" or not...

And while we are on that...i'm throwing the BS flag as high as I can... There is no way that .60 wings are a "loss"...since I can get them at Publix for .45 (roughly) and they are that price EVERY DAY.
    A Bar that has .25 wings..OK...maybe a "break even" deal... but regardless of that.... What they price stuff at to entice customers in the door is of no consequence as to what you may EXPECT them to drink.

You can like wings...and not like alcohol....
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Mark should have fed the wings to a service dog...Bones removed of course...
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,972 Admiral
    duckmanJR wrote: »

My point was they would just order water which is usually free and then when the food shows up they say we have to go and leave.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 34,217 AG
    Exactly, one of their chaulk board stated No To Go Orders after the wing price and the other did not. Neither was obvious as we ordered from the waitress and that was not pointed out until after we finished eating and asked for a box.

By reviewing the reciept posted we were clearly not a To Go order. We sat, eat and drank as a seated customer for two hours. $35.00 in liquor, $18.00 in food, $0.49 in miss-charges and tax plus tipped the waitress.

So my original question was and still "is this legal"?

There is no law that requires a restaurant to give you the leftovers. Most do it since it is going to be thrown away anyways. They should have wrapped the 3 wings for you, but it probably had more to do with other customers seeing it and wanting theirs to go. The next table may have 20 wings "leftover" and claim they let you do it, they should let them do it.

The sign could have been better worded as well.

Why did you stiff the poor waitress? It was not her policy. If she did her job in serving you, she should have gotten a proper tip. That is pretty petty on your part.

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 11,745 AG
    Read reply #68
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • Docked WagesDocked Wages Posts: 2,954 Admin
    Cadman, I tipped the waitress appropriately for the service, not the policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mark P. Wilson
    Marine Surveyor, SAMS-SA, ABYC
    Wilson Yacht Survey, Inc

Why get so worked up over 3 wings?
    Read reply #68

So he stiffs her for reinforcing the restaurant policy and forgetting one sauce. Did she do a good job serving the table? Did they run out of beers and have to wait? The waitress got screwed.

Mini Mart Magnate

Cadman, I tipped the waitress appropriately for the service, not the policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She did not wait on you properly? You never mentioned in your story. You said you were mad at her for explaining the policy and forgetting one sauce. Did she make you wait for drinks? Ignore your table? Where did she fail?

Mini Mart Magnate

Why get so worked up over 3 wings?

You have to admit, he is pretty worked up over $1.80 he keeps claiming isn't a big deal.

Mini Mart Magnate

Too many people just roll over these days. No wonder we are the way we are
    rock_fish wrote: »
    Too many people just roll over these days. No wonder we are the way we are

Yep. They manager should have said hell no and told them to leave without their wings.
  • SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,373 Admiral
    I know I won't go in there on my stroll through town. That is any night not just wing night.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• Machine HeadMachine Head Posts: 2,634 Officer
    If I pay for food and I don't finish it's coming home period.
    "There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Kenneth Grahame
  • APEAPE Posts: 973 Officer
    cadman wrote: »
    She did not wait on you properly? You never mentioned in your story. You said you were mad at her for explaining the policy and forgetting one sauce. Did she make you wait for drinks? Ignore your table? Where did she fail?

Cadman he also said that the waitress brought him Blue Cheese which he didn't order and charged him for it when he told her that he didn't ask for it, so that .45c blue cheese cost the waitress the standard 20% tip and she earned her $5.60 tip for that table.
  • tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral
    Let me get this straight...

You ate 27 wings and couldn't finish...3 more??

Makes perfect sense.