Home Off Topic

Since when did restaurants not allow you to take home food you paid for?

Replies

• duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,174 AG
    Tarponator wrote: »
    I would have likely said nothing and never come back.

I would have said PLENTY...and never come back!
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,511 AG
    Menzies wrote: »
    I can see both sides of this. It's only three wings. So I see your point of it being ridiculous.

But what is the line and who draws it. If you had bought 50 wings for two of you, eaten 20 and asked for the other 30 to be wrapped to go, then I can see their point.

So who sets the line. Is it at 5 wings, 10, 15, 20. It is not fair to have the wait staff manage that - so what is the restaurant to do?

Does not matter. Uneaten restaurant food is deemed to be "verboten" to save and ends up in the dumpster. It's not like he took it off a buffet table that could be served and sold later. HUGE difference.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,833 Captain

They repeatedly said that they must throw them away to prevent us from carrying them out. In their defense they did post .60 wings tonight, No To Go Orders.

What would you have done or is this now the new acceptable restaurant behavior?

After talking to the manager I would have explained to him that I don't know how they did it where ever he came from, but here in the south every place I've been in that had that policy, the disclaimer under the today's special read "Dine in only, no doggie bags".

Even a cheapskate, blue hair, no tipping Sebastian, Canadian snowbird understands what that means.:grin
    After talking to the manager I would have explained to him that I don't know how they did it where ever he came from, but here in the south every place I've been in that had that policy, the disclaimer under the today's special read "Dine in only, no doggie bags".

Even a cheapskate, blue hair, no tipping Sebastian, Canadian snowbird understands what that means.:grin

Whatever. My father ingrained into me that wasted food is a sin. If not under a higher entity, it is to mankind.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Canadians still won't understand.... :grin
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    navigator2 wrote: »
    under a higher entity,

Are you talking about the USACOE again Skip?...
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    Are you talking about the USACOE again Skip?...

No. Was not talking about **** Joe. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jad1097jad1097 Posts: 9,611 Admiral
    I am pretty sure they made a profit off my one visit but will lose more in the loss of a local customer. emenaje5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$6 for a draft beer? Man, I am glad my days of going to bars/restaurants are pretty much over
  • rock_fishrock_fish Posts: 11,903 AG
    Craft beers are pricey. Summer Shandy is far from worth $5, however
    Proud supporter of the anti fishing, terroristic (lol what?) movement known as Greenpeace.
  • got ants?got ants? Posts: 9,140 Officer
    Local joint has a happy hour menu, wings are basically half price, can only be ordered from the bar, and same delio, no take home.

Its an incentive to draw folks in, on otherwise slow hours. The point is to get you in to spend on other products (craft draft beers). I can fully understand the policy, as it would be easy to abuse...
  • GA FinGA Fin Posts: 8,956 Admiral
    Menzies wrote: »
    - so what is the restaurant to do?

Rule #1 is do not alienate your customer.
    Straight white male living a life of privilege and proud of it.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."
  • PolarPolar Lake WorthPosts: 22,464 AG
    I would have left an upper decker in the bathroom
  • kodiakzachkodiakzach Posts: 6,079 Admiral
    Is that Cheese pizza, veggie or buffalo chicken toppings that you covet? Is Carrabbas the Tuscany Chicken over pasta that you bring home? I am not hard up for the $1.80 of wings just annoyed with their attitude.

Truth be told, doggie bags just dont do it for me and pizza is the only leftover from a restaurant that I will eat. Carrabba's is the only leftovers my wife brings home (chicken and pasta) that gets devoured by my teens. I typically order a right sized meal, and eat all of it while dining out - so as to not have to worry about leftovers that might end up just sitting in my fridge and not getting eaten.

Even my dog doesn't want me to bring home leftovers from something like this and cram it in the fridge:

null_zps3be9ed7a.jpg
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,273 AG
    We do it all the time at our .50 cent wing night. Order 40, eat 15 to 20, drink some of their beers, then take the rest home. No problem.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • lookinlookin Posts: 1,394 Officer
    My sister mentioned that she has heard of this at a buffet all you can eat and that makes better sense. One price for all you can eat then package up another meal to go for free. However in this case you are paying per piece at the cost point set by the establishment. Unless they offer a buy back plan for the un eaten food I still think that if you pay for it you can do what you want with it. I think I will go into my kitchen now and throw them away on my terms :-)

lol
    Tarponator wrote: »
    I would have likely said nothing and never come back.

Yeah, some things are not worth arguing over.
    rock_fish wrote: »
    Craft beers are pricey. Summer Shandy is far from worth $5, however

+1, hopefully they were the wife's. :grin
    God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy
  • lookinlookin Posts: 1,394 Officer
    kodiakzach wrote: »
    Truth be told, doggie bags just dont do it for me and pizza is the only leftover from a restaurant that I will eat. Carrabba's is the only leftovers my wife brings home (chicken and pasta) that gets devoured by my teens. I typically order a right sized meal, and eat all of it while dining out - so as to not have to worry about leftovers that might end up just sitting in my fridge and not getting eaten.

Even my dog doesn't want me to bring home leftovers from something like this and cram it in the fridge:

null_zps3be9ed7a.jpg

What's under that skin would eat just fine the next day or day after that. I eat leftovers all the time and cook extra just to have them for lunches. Gotta know how to reheat and reuse stuff to make it good tho.....coulda made fish tacos with leftovers from that.

P.S. What restaurant is that? Looks tasty.
    God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,974 Admiral
    Don't go back and the manager can just simply charge regular price for to go orders, the special is eat in only, if it is hurting him that bad. Or he could just not do to go orders, bring them out on a plate and serve them with the drinks that they would have ordered before they ordered the wings, isn’t that how most restaurants do it, they take a drink order first then come back and take the food order? Of course some people would just order water, there are scammers out there.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 11,761 AG
    Stupid move by both the waitress and manager.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,273 AG
    jad1097 wrote: »
    $6 for a draft beer? Man, I am glad my days of going to bars/restaurants are pretty much over

This is how they make up for the "lower" priced wings. We noticed that when we ordered a pitcher of Amber Bock and were charged $11. It was cheaper to order the bottles instead, which we now do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • FishyGirlFishyGirl Posts: 715 Officer
    Thankx for the warning Mark. No JD's Pub for us. They lost more than one customer from the space coast with that bad move.
    "America will never be destroyed from outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves"
    --Abraham Lincoln
  • drkpttdrkptt Posts: 1,927 Captain
    I had an opposite experience at a restaurant recently. Came in by myself for a sandwich and a beer. Overheard another customer say that on Sundays entrees were buy one, get one free. I asked the bartender about getting two sandwiches and he said that the policy was no to-go orders. But then he explained that if I ordered two sandwiches (and drank two beers) he'd serve the second sandwich on a plate, then when I couldn't finish it he'd box it up for me.
  • Docked WagesDocked Wages Posts: 2,954 Admin
    In summary over priced beers and over valued wings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mark P. Wilson
    Marine Surveyor, SAMS-SA, ABYC
    Wilson Yacht Survey, Inc

• lawaiaalawaiaa Posts: 1,266 Officer
    Can ya bring in a Service Dog?:)
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,455 AG
    The deal on wings is a loss leader to get people to
    come in and drink beer. Perfectly legal and if you
    don't like it just stick the wings in your pocket on the
    DL next time.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • lifegoesonlifegoeson Posts: 338 Deckhand
    It wasn't a to go order, it was a doggie bag. They need to fix their signs, I wouldn't go back. The manager should have saw 3 wings and gave you a box.
  • MadScientistMadScientist Posts: 3,402 Officer
    What good is 3 wings? That's like asking for a togo box for the kale garnish.
  • ParkerboyParkerboy Posts: 7,048 Admiral
    lifegoeson wrote: »
    It wasn't a to go order, it was a doggie bag. They need to fix their signs, I wouldn't go back. The manager should have saw 3 wings and gave you a box.

Great in theory but what happens when someone observes them boxing up three wings and then asks for twenty-five to be bowed up after drinking only a glass of wather? If they refused someone would be whining about being discriminated against for some reason or would be posting on a public forum about what a rip off the rest. is. Generally much easier for an establishment to have a policy and apply it equally to everyone.
    Deo Vindice
  • lawaiaalawaiaa Posts: 1,266 Officer
    What's the big deal?... You lost a $1.80 (Three wings), but stiffed the waitress by tipping only 10% instead of your standard 20%. Sounds like you probably came out ahead.
  • knotty boysknotty boys Posts: 1,898 Captain
    if it were all you can eat, then I understand their point. It isnt, you paid for a certain amount of wings at a discounted price. If anything, this is stupid marketing. Why not sell to go orders and allow everyone to buy as much as they want? They still make a profit from wings and you make customers happy and get return business.

JD's used to be in a run down place in Rockledge and the owners went out of their way to be gracious. We used to be regulars for years, but they started getting skimpy and the quality went down. They just recently moved to that place on US 1. You should tell them on Facebook of your displeasure, they will not fix it if they do not hear back.
    Some people are like a slinky, not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.
  • ParkerboyParkerboy Posts: 7,048 Admiral
    lawaiaa wrote: »
    What's the big deal?... You lost a $1.80 (Three wings), but stiffed the waitress by tipping only 10% instead of your standard 20%. Sounds like you probably came out ahead.

Smooth move on his part and all class to stiff the waitress who had nothing to do with the policy. Yes, class albeit LOW but class. How about tipping the sever based on how well he/she did their job rather than on the policy of management.
    Deo Vindice