Home Off Topic

Since when did restaurants not allow you to take home food you paid for?

Docked WagesDocked Wages Posts: 2,954 Admin
So I went to a new bar and grill after work tonight to meet my wife and daughter. The place is called JD's in Rockledge on US-1 and it just happened to be their "Wing Night". This is a pretty cool looking place and the female servers ar very nice. We order 30 wings and 7 beers. We ate 27 wings and asked for the final 3 to go. The waitress tells us that we can not take the final 3 wings to go as it is against their internal policy to allow take out during wing night.

My first question is this legal?

They repeatedly said that they must throw them away to prevent us from carrying them out. In their defense they did post .60 wings tonight, No To Go Orders.

My response was this is not a To Go order, we sat here ate the wings and purchased 7 of your top shelf micro brews. It was not like we were gaming the system. Then another server came out and said that some have taken advantage of wing night and order lots of wings then took them home. Well how do we fall into that category? I politely asked her to take them off the bill or send the manager over.

After a tough day at work I stopped in to relaxe and now I find myself getting defensive over $1.80 of wings. The owner/manager reluctantly gives in but offers a stern warning that this would be the last time we could take wings home that we purchase at .60 each. Now I feel like a charity case. Thinking more about this, when you buy 30-50 wings in most locations, you typically can buy them for .50 each on any given day. Are these wings this special or is this owner/manager just a big jerk? Then the bill comes and they charge me for extra blue cheese and I never eat blue cheese let alone order more, actually I asked for additional hot sauce that never came. I paid the bill and gave them a 10% tip versus 20% and left annoyed.

What would you have done or is this now the new acceptable restaurant behavior?
Mark P. Wilson
Marine Surveyor, SAMS-SA, ABYC
Wilson Yacht Survey, Inc

Replies

• rock_fishrock_fish Posts: 11,905 AG
    If someone pays for the wings,what difference does it make where they eat them? Makes no sense

Good for you for standing up. Most people these days just roll over
    Proud supporter of the anti fishing, terroristic (lol what?) movement known as Greenpeace.
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 AG
    Put them under your hat the next time and dare her to knock it off.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • Capt.EdCapt.Ed Posts: 368 Deckhand
    The last time I ate at a place like that and my sister asked for extra sause The waitress said "I have to charge you extra for that" I replied... "thats OK I'll just take that money out of your tip" And I did, right in front of her when we got up to leave. I never went back there.

And I would have just told the manager at the place you were at.. to keep his wings and say goodbuy to another customer.
    It will be a sad day when the last little mom and pop marina is gone to developers and only the rich will be able to enjoy the waters of Florida.
  • rock_fishrock_fish Posts: 11,905 AG
    I don't think it's the waitress's policy to charge you for extra sauce.
    Proud supporter of the anti fishing, terroristic (lol what?) movement known as Greenpeace.
  • MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
    I can see both sides of this. It's only three wings. So I see your point of it being ridiculous.

But what is the line and who draws it. If you had bought 50 wings for two of you, eaten 20 and asked for the other 30 to be wrapped to go, then I can see their point.

So who sets the line. Is it at 5 wings, 10, 15, 20. It is not fair to have the wait staff manage that - so what is the restaurant to do?
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
  • Amelia PaddlerAmelia Paddler Posts: 488 Deckhand
    I've seen that before at/on "all you can eat wing night"
    It's clearly stated no to go orders, that I get. Wolf down 20 or so wings & get a reorder & take home.
    That I understand being against a restaurant policy.
    But to deny a take home box for a few wings??
    $.60 wings ain't the deal of the century.... Common sense should prevail, but I fear I'm expecting too much from people huh?
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,174 AG
    I go to Buffalo wild wings in Palm bay on Tuesday (their 60 cent night)...no issue bringing home wings that the wife and I can't finish...and they *ask* if you would like a soda to go!

Mark, you were much nicer than I would have been...not because of less than 2 bucks...but because of the way they treated you...like some bum!
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • Docked WagesDocked Wages Posts: 2,954 Admin
    Menzies wrote: »
    I can see both sides of this. It's only three wings. So I see your point of it being ridiculous.

But what is the line and who draws it. If you had bought 50 wings for two of you, eaten 20 and asked for the other 30 to be wrapped to go, then I can see their point.

So who sets the line. Is it at 5 wings, 10, 15, 20. It is not fair to have the wait staff manage that - so what is the restaurant to do?

Thats what I thought originally but when you order 50 wings typically the price is around $25 in most places. Thats .50 a wing, less than the .60 they were offering. Even if its more you still came into their establsihment, ate food, order drinks. Who are they to say you can't take food home. Even if you only ate 1, then dont sell them that cheap. I can go as far as to agree that they can say no TO GO ORDERS, but once you sit down, order drinks, tip the waitress you have a customer. I think there has to be some legal angle here that they are violating. I just dont know how to research food industry guidelines or rules.
    Mark P. Wilson
    Wilson Yacht Survey, Inc

• ParkerboyParkerboy Posts: 7,048 Admiral
    I frequent an establishment that has "wing night" on Tuesday during which the wings are priced at a per wing price. They do not allow wings to be taken to go at this price. The establishment makes no profit on Tuesday wings but uses them as an attraction which results in increased beverage sales. I would believe the above referenced establishment has a similar reason for not allowing wings to go.

Other nights the wings are either ordered as an 8 or 16 piece order and they can go.

Sent from my KFJWA using Tapatalk
    Deo Vindice
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    How well (or poorly) I handled that would probably have been directly proportional to the # of 'Microbrews' I'd enjoyed...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
    This is funny and tragic...

In a business where "service & quality" make or break you...some d-bag manager is going to kill the OWNERS shot at having a going business...but to that I say...screen your employees and let it be know what you will expect OR ELSE! That manager *could and should have* smoothed things over...and MADE a customer with good "word of mouth"...He did the opposite and now the place is getting banged up (rightfully so) for it.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    I am pretty sure they made a profit off my one visit but will lose more in the loss of a local customer. emenaje5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mark P. Wilson
    Wilson Yacht Survey, Inc

Put them under your hat the next time and dare her to knock it off.

Shove them down your pants and say " Go fish baby!" :rotflmao
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    You should "visit" them on facebook and let it fly...maybe the owner will see that!
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    Shove them down your pants and say " Go fish baby!" :rotflmao

If my wife wasnt with me maybe I would have thought of that, thats really funny.
    Mark P. Wilson
    Wilson Yacht Survey, Inc

• Triple Threat 33TTriple Threat 33T Port CanaveralPosts: 18,669 Admin
    That's a little ridiculous. I get what they're trying to do but when you order that many and eat almost all of them plus your bar tab, you let the customer take his left overs home.

A good manager knows the difference and wouldn't let a good customer walk out upset over something like that and possibly lose him for good. You don't cut off your nose to spite your face.
    "Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen."
  • MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
    That's a little ridiculous. I get what they're trying to do but when you order that many and eat almost all of them plus your bar tab, you let the customer take his left overs home.

A good manager knows the difference and wouldn't let a good customer walk out upset over something like that and possibly lose him for good. You don't cut off your to spite your face.

No nose?
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
    My sister mentioned that she has heard of this at a buffet all you can eat and that makes better sense. One price for all you can eat then package up another meal to go for free. However in this case you are paying per piece at the cost point set by the establishment. Unless they offer a buy back plan for the un eaten food I still think that if you pay for it you can do what you want with it. I think I will go into my kitchen now and throw them away on my terms :-)
    Mark P. Wilson
    Wilson Yacht Survey, Inc

Menzies wrote: »
    No nose?

Only the Nose knows
    Mark P. Wilson
    Wilson Yacht Survey, Inc

• Mark O.Mark O. Posts: 3,453 Captain
    A couple more sweet 420's and you would have eaten all the wings, plus the bowl of mints at the door.
    Maybe you should go in...order 1 wing and a glass of water...then order a second wing...keep doing this for a couple hours...sure to pizz them off....but you do take the risk they will be spitting on your food. :grin
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    Maybe you should go in...order 1 wing and a glass of water...then order a second wing...keep doing this for a couple hours...sure to pizz them off....but you do take the risk they will be spitting on your food. :grin

Nope, no can do. They have a "minimum order of 6 wings" to make their return on investment. Another argument against thier policy of no take out of left overs.

Maybe order the 6 minimum and only eat one then ask to box up the other five since they dont give you the option of ordering only 1. Plus a water, no ice and a lemon.
    Mark P. Wilson
    Wilson Yacht Survey, Inc

• kodiakzachkodiakzach Posts: 6,079 Admiral
    If you are that hard up to take 3 wings home, bring your own baggie next time now that you know the policy.

If it isn't pizza or Carrabbas, I'm not taking home leftovers anyway!
    kodiakzach wrote: »
    If you are that hard up to take 3 wings home, bring your own baggie next time now that you know the policy.

You must be one of those rich French models that you meet on the internet... :rotflmao
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 AG

I am impressed by your discerning palate and economy.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
    I am impressed by your discerning palate and economy.

Indeed... a true gore-met.... :rotflmao
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    but to answer the question posed by the OP... "When it's against their stated & posted policy"...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!

Is that Cheese pizza, veggie or buffalo chicken toppings that you covet? Is Carrabbas the Tuscany Chicken over pasta that you bring home? I am not hard up for the $1.80 of wings just annoyed with their attitude.
    Mark P. Wilson
    Wilson Yacht Survey, Inc

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,023 AG
    What would you have done or is this now the new acceptable restaurant behavior?

I would have likely said nothing and never come back.
    but to answer the question posed by the OP... "When it's against their stated & posted policy"...

Exactly, one of their chaulk board stated No To Go Orders after the wing price and the other did not. Neither was obvious as we ordered from the waitress and that was not pointed out until after we finished eating and asked for a box.

By reviewing the reciept posted we were clearly not a To Go order. We sat, eat and drank as a seated customer for two hours. $35.00 in liquor, $18.00 in food, $0.49 in miss-charges and tax plus tipped the waitress.

So my original question was and still "is this legal"?
    Mark P. Wilson
    Wilson Yacht Survey, Inc